1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Giovanni's Writing Guide for Dummies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Giovanni, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Now a quick note. No one in this forum needs this... However I think I will post it on FanFiction.net and see how long it takes before being taken down. As your all decent writers why don't you add some things to it as well.

#1. Good Writing creates, then resolves tension. Moderation is the key. To much tension and it annoys the reader, to little and well, remind me why I am reading your story again?

#2. Details. Yes we all like details and descriptions, but to many just get annoying. For example if you spend an entire paragraph describing a shirt.

#3. PLOT HOLES ARE EVIL! Try to keep them to a minimum, or if possible, remove them from existance.

#4. Good noun and adjective choices are a must. Also NO WEAK VERBS!

#5. Clarity is important. If your writing style lacks clarity or your native tongue is not English get someone to read over your work with a metaphorical red pen.

#6. In regard to song lyrics you should not use an entire song. Merely use a small excerpt 5 lines at most, and even then use it sparingly. It should also be of HIGH relevence to the story... Not just romantic music when your characters are dancing.

#7. Quotes at the beginning of chapters should be kept to a minimum. Again unless the quote is of high relevence to the ENTIRE chapter DON'T use it, if you really want it in there anyways because you think it sounds cool have one of the characters say it during the time that it is.

#8. Run your story through spelling and grammer checkers, both man and machine. No on liks seeng astry ritten like this,

#9. In regard to character interaction, if you've written your story well you shouldn't have to explain your actions in an authors note... and speaking of authors notes...

#10. Don't write them in the middle of chapters. If you need it in the middle of the chapter then your chapter is shoddily written.

#10a. Don't write 5 pages of story and 5 pages of authors note.

These are just some of the most common things I have seen done wrongly in fiction, not just fanfiction. Though 5 or 6 of them actually carry over to non-fiction writing as well.

Now if you guys add some I can post it on FF.net with a summary description of "Harry/Ginny shippers read this."

2. Old Nuit

Old Nuit High Inquisitor

Another one, be original.

3. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

It would be to much to expect of Harry/Ginny shippers to do that.

Though yeah your right.

4. Zevrillion

Zevrillion Founder Retired Staff

# Try to be as original as possible, but keep it reasonable. This makes the story more interesting and it won’t be confused with another story.

5. Zevrillion

Zevrillion Founder Retired Staff

Didn't see that.

6. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

ROFL :)

I find the Irony of Zev's first post in comparison to Nuits hilarious :)

7. Old Nuit

Old Nuit High Inquisitor

Plagiarism is a big no, I know this should be obvious to everyone but some people still do it.
    Aye, I second that.

8. Lady Rebecca

Lady Rebecca Professor

American by birth, Southern by the grace of god (A
    Even if the plot does not have many plot holes, do not make the story so far fetched that even the most ardent AU fan will shake their heads and press the back button, logic, people, logic.

9. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

No song lyrics. If you feel the urge to include song lyrics, or write a songfic, please find a 120 inch 10,000 watt subwoofer, crank the volume to max, and then insert Bassin' dat Ass: Volume #crunk-teen and press play.

Enjoy as your brain is splattered all over the damned wall.

10. Miss Selarne

Miss Selarne Sixth Year

that's be nice. ok, another one. hmmm...not sure. i'm not much of a writer. more of a reader. oh yeah, if you do review responses, don't make it longer that the story. address questions that need to be answered and just say one big thanks to everyone who reviewed.

11. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Good guide Gio, it really is. We could post that on a subset of the DLP site, under the name of the DLP Collective Rules for FanFiction Writing.

12. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

*blushes*

Urgh.

Gio no sleepy very much at all this year.

13. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Next Fanfic Writing Tip from Giovanni:

In regards to character interaction, don't introduce characters to each other then have them screwing like rabbits in the next chapter unless your just going to have it as a 1 night thing.

AND

Sex should not be the dominating theme in your chapter/story. Sex itself rarely if ever serves a real purpose for a story when described in graphic detail. If you read any of the novels regarded as classics whether modern or not so modern you will notice that in 9/10 of them sex is alluded to, but never described like this:

"She winced as he entered her for the first time. His ***** thrust in and out of her ***** as they established a rhythym..... Well you get the idea."

And the allusions to sex should serve to ADVANCE THE PLOT. If people want PWP stories they will go to AFF.

14. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Add an addendum to that rule.

-Don't freaking write about sex if you haven't f***ing HAD IT!

I'm sick of seeing author bios with 12 year old kids talking about labia's, vulva's, and various other totally clinical terms that you'll never, ever hear anyone but a doctor say.

Writing a sex scene like it's a scene from a 1950's sex education video, is not interesting, and it usually just ruins the story for me.

-If you haven't gone through a pack of rubbers of two, don't.freaking.write.about.nookie... damnit.

15. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I find that even IF osme people have had more than one dose of nookie... they cant acurately write about it ... sometimes its so euphemistic youve got no idea whats going on or its just so blatant you lack the desire to read it...

16. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

The point is, graphic sex scenes really are not needed in great writing. And if something is not needed a great writer will eliminate it. Yes it can be alluded to, but really, no one should need to devote 2400 words out of a chapter to it *points at stained-future*

17. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

My graphic sex scenes are very necessary, dammit. :p

18. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

you just wanna see harry and cho get t on you perv...

19. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

That argument might hold water...if I had written a Harry/Cho scene. I haven't.

20. DGD

DGD Headmaster

Heh heh... sex scenes advance the plots in all the greatest fan fictions known to idiots...