1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Goblet of Fire

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Klael, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Klael

Klael Headmaster DLP Supporter

This has probably already been addressed before, buuuuuut...it's always baffled me.

Concerning the priori incantetum in the graveyard--why does lily's spirit come out of the wand AFTER james'? wouldnt that suggest that james died AFTER lily? how does that work? is there some intentional plot work here by jkr, or a significant error on her part?

~DarkSov~

2. Element

Element Seventh Year

Error, actually. In later editions of the book, the publishers fixed this. As far as I know, no intentional plot work. Source. Scroll down to about three quarters of the way down, and you will see numerous changes to the text, with the reason for the change listed as "the infamous wand order error."

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  3. Klael

Klael Headmaster DLP Supporter

That's...ugh. I don't know why, but I'm disgusted. It just ruins the whole feel of harry's mother telling all that crap to him--i mean, its the only REAL insight we get into harry's mom. aside from that, there isnt much. people constantly expound tales about harry's dad.

4. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I didnt like those echo-ghosts anyway. They failed. Especially when they seemed to be 'alive', yet they werent really his parents as Dumbledore tells him. Just bleh...

5. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

It was stupid.

6. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

It wasn't that bad, concerning that JKR needed something if not a deux ex machina to let Harry flee. I didn't see those echos as ghosts who are described as imprints but rather as paintings who? which? I always imagined as echo - a copy of a person at a certain moment, with far less depth than a ghost.

edit ... typos

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  7. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Depth* yeah, the only way they interfered in my view was stopping Voldemort being able to see Harry as he ran away.

8. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Dude, thats big. If they hadnt done that, there wouldnt be a Potter book five or six, lulz.