1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

GoF

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I agree with Dark, I liked her alot up until OOTP, JKR writing her off as such a crying snivleing twit ruined her for me. For the most part when author's try to write her Post-OOTP, they either keep the crybaby crap, or turn her into super hot seductress lady. Dakaath is one of maybe three stories I actually like Cho in, and that's simply b/c of the good writing, not the character.

I've state my views on Cho before, for her to be so hung up over a guy who wouldn't of even gotten in her pants yet is utterly retarded. What'd she do, get to the kissing stage with Cedric maybe, before he died? The girl would have acne medicine older then her relationship with the guy. A normal girl would of been like, "Damn that sucks", cry over him for a week or two max, and moved on at that age. Hell at that age you're lucky if the 'ships you have last longer then a few weeks anyway.

Now if the guy had been slaughtered like a farm animal in front of her eyes I could see, or if they were engaged to be married/her pregnant, but her going after Harry like that was a totally unrealistic move by JKR.

2. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Going a bit off topic here, and I appreciate the writing compliment, but now I'm curious as to whether or not you think there's something wrong with how I portray Cho's character. I'm biased as Hell, but I find her to be one of the more fascinating people in the story. Vash and I have been the only ones to be willing to try a good Evil!Harry paired with a Dark!Cho. I do apologize to those folks that expect Harry to retain some semblance of heroism. Not gonna happen.

3. Midknight

I don't like her period in canon, and in fanon for the most part, as I said she's horrible. My comment about b/c of the writing, not the character, wasn't a jab at how you portray her, but more of the canon/majority of fanon Cho. The only issue I've had with the story is the threesome seems a bit off character for her, as I see her as more of a sexy smart girl who'd stick with a single partner, but the way you've written it does work in the story.

If there were more decent to good, hell even halfassedly written Dark!Harry/Cho fics, I'd probably be very into them

4. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

My explanation for the threesome is that she knew that Harry was a rather universally desired guy at Hogwarts and wasn't going to just abstain from sex, but she also wasn't (and still isn't) ready to give it to him yet, and so she found a solution. She would rather have him screwing her friend with her permission than going off and philandering with other women behind her back. Of course, he's been doing it at various points anyway, but she doesn't know that.

Fanon!Cho is ridiculous for the most part. Authors portray her either as a slut or as some cold, vindictive bitch. Neither have any sort of canonical backing. They also tend to overdo the Crybaby!Cho bit. She had her bad points in canon, but she was never the absolute leaky hosepipe that most fanfic authors try to create. Of course, the fanon community always has a tendency to exaggerate somewhat. Examples include taking Ron's jealous spat in GoF and making him always having hated Harry secretly, or magnifying Dumbledore's subtle (and generally
    well-intentioned in my opinion) manipulations and turning him into a wicked old man obsessed with sacrificing Harry in order to maintain his own power base.

5. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

She was single-handedly responsible for the need to create Noah's Ark. :twisted:

6. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

...One-liners are not permitted at darklordpotter.net. BANNED~! :p

...My post is a two-liner.

7. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

ROFL @ Ravenclaw.

I've only really liked Cho in a few stories and most of them she wasnt with Harry. She just become a good friend of his. She was still a crybaby sometimes though not as bad. Just a few things here and there.

8. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

...hey now... dun bring me in on your evil Cho boat there Serapheth... i only started liking cho again because fo you! ... you evil evil EVIL! bugger

Buuuuuttt...yeah... Canon killed Cho and Fanon!Cho's ben dead for ages outside of a few stories (Dekaath as the primary, and best of the lot)

I didnt TRULY have a problem with Cho until HBP... I felt she could have been redeemed after OoTP but six just killed her mercilessly ... Fanon!Cho on the other hand... ive only seen her three ways in stories... Crybaby!Cho ... as mid pointed out, Super sexy seductress!Cho (which isnt TOO bad if its VERY well done and believeble... and total irredeemeble BITCH!Cho

9. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

HERE HERE!

HBP killed a lot of characters one being Hermione. I know most of you guys already hated her but after HBP... well, Canon!Hermione went downhill big time. She started acting like Lavender Brown and Parvati Patil... urgh. That's just... not right.

10. RagefulLlama

RagefulLlama Seventh Year

What's even worse is that her entire position on the 'team' *gags* is the smart one who figures shit out, now that's Harry. The only good spin on this is that JKR or maybe fandom post-HBP can make it so that the last year made it so that Harry was more dependant on himself so he can now go off destroying the horcruxes without the idiocy of Ron and Hermione dragging him down. I am still pretty sick I mean Harry get yelled at for pretending to spike ron's drink when she essencially attacked someone to get Ron on the team in the first place. I mean it's like all of a sudden she thinks shes above the law. This may also tie in to those peoples stories where Ron, Hermione, Ginny etc. secretly join the OotP and get training and whatnot.

11. Burt

Burt Fourth Year

Hermione has always thought she was above the law.

She lies to adults all the time. She comes up with ideas like stealing from Snape, and brewing illigal potions. She tricks Lockhart into signing the Restriction Section pass. She lies to Harry and Ron about every single day of their third year. She lies to her parents in OotP....

12. Redeye

Redeye Penultimate Lurker DLP Supporter

Hermione is just a bitch plain and simple.

"hey harry dumbledores dead i know your sad but i just came to rub in your face that i was right about the half blood prince."

i would have been like "Bitch i dont give a fuck right now its a dumb book!"

13. DGD

DGD Headmaster

I just don't like SuperGirlPowerMovieFanon!Hermione... come to think of it, I don't like her at all. But I couldn't help but get advanced tickets for the midnight showing.

14. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I liked her until the fifth book...where she started the DA without asking and did all sorts of other shit. Then blamed Harry for unfairly screaming at her. Then in the sixth book she pulled that whole jealous Half-Blood Prince brouhaha. Damn hypocrite.

15. zUzaque

zUzaque Seventh Year

ah! and the 'Firebolt incident' in third year! what a bitch

16. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I can understand the Firebolt thing. She was worried about him getting hurt.

I dont know why she got all shitty about the book. It did nothing to harm Harry, he actually learnt a few good things from it. She was just annoyed that the book had taken her place in his life. Heh.

17. Midknight

The Firebolt to me just solidified my idea of her going behind Harry's back in fanon. She's quick to assume she's always right, and will betray him eventually if he wants to go too far against the law.

OOTP she again assumes she knows best with the DA, but at least she's her normal self.

HBP, she's a totally different character. She doesn't want to look into the stuff Harry's noticing, she doesn't care for the book, etc. Any other book and the chick would off been in the library researching survelliance charms to track Draco.

18. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

In HBP she's just a bitch in heat.

19. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

But you can see where JKR fucked it all up. She had to change three of her characters so the pairings would at least 'seem' to work.

The Harry and Hermione from the other books were just too close. I mean, they pretty much talked by looking at eachother... now that is close. She had to turn Hermione all girly-girl so she'd apeal more to Ron. I mean, what the fuck was up with those jealous streaks.

She had to turn Ginny into some fucking PlayMate PlayWizard of the Year to catch Harry's attention and she had to make Harry smarter to be able to fill Hermiones 'vacant' spot. Didnt mind Harry changing but the other two... urgh.