1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Going Native (DBZ/DC Comics) by IdeasGuy -M

Discussion in 'Anime, Cartoons, and Comics' started by aAlouda, Mar 17, 2020.

1. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

Thread Title: Going Native (DBZ/DC Comics) by IdeasGuy -M
    Title: Going Native
    Author: IdeasGuy/Ideas-Guy(on SB,SV and QQ)
    Rating: M
    Genre: Adventure/Humor
    DLP Category: Other Fandoms
    Pairing: none at the moment, the author mentioned that he isn't set on a pairing yet, but he leans toward a Tarble/Raven or Tarble/Cassandra Cain paring, and may change his mind later.
    Summary: It's really hard to maintain a clean conscious when you're surrounded and encouraged by genocidal aliens that wanted to only eat and fight. Especially when your entire race has been enslaved by Frieza, an especially genocidal alien that commits war crimes to pass time. No one could say I didn't give it my best shot, though.
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13398050/1/Going-Native

It's an enjoyable story, updates regularly every week and the spelling, grammar seem pretty good and the writing is decent.

The Main Character of this story is pretty much a OC inserted into the body of Vegeta's little brother Tarble, but the story itself takes place in a universe which is a fusion of DC and Dragonball. Its mostly made up from DC, but now things like planet Vegeta and the Frieza Force exist in it. Earth is mentioned by the Author to be the DC Earth. The Dragon Ball aspects were also nerfed by the Author, so a Power Level of several thousands is at best a city killer, instead of a very casual moon buster, though people with a Power Level in the millions can still easily destroy planets.

The Story hasn't reached Earth yet though, and likely wont do so for quite a while. The MC at the moment is still a small child(about 4 years old, though Saiyan aging is quite unusual) and the Author mentioned that he'll probably only reach earth when the MC is about 16-20. So the only DC element which have played a significant role until now are the The Reach and the Green Lantern Corps.

The MC also isn't really aware of him being in a fictional universe, that is not to say that he doesen't have meta knowlege, but rather that the parts he didn't forget were merged with the information the Saiyans impanted into him before he was 'born'(saiyans are grown in tubes). So he for example remembers famous techniques like the Kamehameha, but he doesen't really know where he learned about it.

The Plot is fairly interesting and at the moment is mostly about the MC performing missions in the name of Frieza and coming to terms with his nature as a Saiyan and his previous memories as a Human(see the titel).

There are of course a few negative aspects, one is a lack of dialogue featuring the MC, though this seems to be an intended character flaw by the author, which is explained by his mentality being damaged after spending years concius inside the tank he was grown in. Another is that the MC is growing a little too fast in strenght for my liking, while it is tame compared to what Dragonball Z became, I fear that this could make things to easy for him in the future which isn't set on earth.

I would rate this fic between 3,5/5 and 4/5 rounded up to 4.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  2. The DarIm

The DarIm Groundskeeper

I've been following this on SV. It's pretty good. As @aAlouda said, it's an OC in Tarble's body. He's actually about 8 years old now, having spent the first few years in a pod where he was given basic education and then immediately being thrown into the deep end by King Vegeta because he had an embarrassingly low PL.

Since then, he's grown. There's been one time-skip already and IdeasGuy is planning another after this arc, which is over as of the latest chapter. Tarble has also adopted a pretty Saiyan-lite mentality by now and the character progression is pretty good. He has grown in power ridiculously fast, but the rate is still pretty tame for a protagonist. For example, he's been punching out of his weight class for over 4 years in storytime and he's still under the 10K PL. Though he should be getting a very big zenkai as of the latest update.

The universe is pretty much DC, except the Frieza Force and Saiyans are in there now. There has been some discussion of bringing the Dragon Balls in, but it's not set in stone. Power-wise, Frieza is up there in the heavy-weights, but he's not the top dog, which means that he's not exactly resting on his laurels. So, WoG is that he's put some training in and is stronger than DBZ canon, though we haven't seen that on screen yet.

From the DC side, we have seen the Reach, and the Green Lanterns, and the Thanagarians have been alluded to. Also,

Tarble was given ownership of Earth as a reward. And Bardock sent Kakarot to a different (weak) planet so that he could survive.

The update rate is decent, and IdeasGuy has written a few chapters ahead, so it shouldn't be abandoned anytime soon. And if you want, you can join his Patreon and read one chapter ahead everytime he updates.

I'd rate this 4/5.

3. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

There's an Other Fandoms Review Board and a HP Review board. You've posted in the HP review board, and I've moved it.

Thanks for the decent review as well.

I've read this before when it was a bit early on. Its alright, but not the greatest thing I've ever read. I've never understood SBs fascination with DC, but I blame it on With this Ring. Their creative writing forum is pretty much a hive mind of trending topics.

I'll try and write a more comprehensive review later.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  4. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I would say that that for 176k words, it definitely doesn't happen too fast.

I really like how fusion of DB and DC elements fits at the moment, but funnily enough it's too early to actually say if it will work since a lot of things are not yet introduced or explained.

5. s0ng2Sing

s0ng2Sing Third Year

I've been following this on SB for a while. So far, the fusion between DC and Dragonball has been pretty well done. How Frieza and the Freiza Force was inserted into the existing setting makes sense. Power Levels aren't all over the place. Frieza is understandable treated as one of the serious contenders in the universe, as someone of his power should be. The author managed to avoid some of the problems that most SI's have by making his memories murky or more instinct, although he has said that the MC will eventually gain his full memories as time goes on. The supporting cast has also had some work put into them recently, so the MC doesn't feel like the only important character in the story.

Definitely the best DB story that I've come upon recently.