1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Grammatical Mishaps

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by JordanL, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Grinning Lizard

Grinning Lizard Supreme Mugwump

This. I do this everywhere. It's a bizarre speech pattern that's translated into writing, and though I'm very aware of it I tend to do it anyway.

Just like there ^

About the dash thing: it's parenthesis. I don't consider it incorrect because technically it's grammatically sound, but I do overuse it massively. I have also been known a few times to use brackets, dashes, ellipses and commas to parenthesise in the same sentence.

/failauthor.

2. Mutt

Mutt High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

The Elements of Style should be required reading to graduate high school.

It's quite an interesting read and teaches you a hell of a lot. I learned more from it than Jane Eyre or A Seperate Peace. I still have no idea why those are considered literature.

3. addictedforlife

addictedforlife High Inquisitor

The unnecessary comma, mentioned by some, is a problem of mine as well. Tbh, I didn't know for quite a long time that such a comma in front of conjunctions is unnecessary. In German, not having one is wrong, and I probably just brought it into English. None of my teachers ever bothered to correct me, so I went with it.

I however don't use semi-colons at all. Someone want to introduce me to the English rules of semi-colon use?

4. Dark-Stallion

Dark-Stallion Professor

Going off topic for a moment, I just wanted to say 'bollocks'. Seriously? Jane Eyre is one of the most influential pieces of literature from the 19th century.

Studying grammar specifically does relatively little unless you compliment it with a lot reading in order to see the rules in use. I do not have any problems with people getting 'high grammar' wrong from time to time, it is the little things which are the most irritating. Not capitalising "I", specifically when writing "I've" or "I'll", is one of the worst. Also the misuse of 'a' and 'an' drives me insane, simply because it is one of those things that, when reading, you end up pausing over and losing any immersion you had.

5. Exoteric

Exoteric First Year

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/semicolon

6. Grinning Lizard

The International Statute of Secrecy:

a law in the wizarding world that was first signed in 1689 then established officially in 1692. The law was laid down by the International Confederation of Wizards to safeguard the wizarding community from Muggles, and hide their presence from the world at large.

The Statute was introduced because of the widespread persecution of wizarding children by Muggles, the escalating attempts by Muggles to force witches and wizards to perform magic for Muggle ends, the escalating attempts by Muggles to force witches and wizards to teach them magic, the increasing numbers of witch-burning, the increasing numbers of Muggles being burned in mistake for witches, and the failure of Ministry of Magic Delegation to Muggle King and Queen (William and Mary) begging for protection under Muggle law.

The International Statue of Secrecy:

a very mysterious statue, shrouded in secrecy, never seen but oft referred to by stupid HP fanfic authors.

7. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Lol, I wish the statute of secrecy was actually a statute that had been passed but no-one knew what it was. Like the invisible book of invisibility. The ICW passes a statute and then all obliviate themselves of its content. What did they know that was so terrible that no-one in the world could be allowed to know it, yet preparations had to be made for it?

On the subject of The Elements of Style, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I actually don't like it at all. So much of it is so subjective - just the opinions of the authors. I much prefer the more neutral Oxford A-Z of Grammar and Punctuation.

8. Grinning Lizard

You could have a lot of fun with Taboo magic in there, combined with Fidelius Charms and an Obliviate or two.

Do you know, that's a pretty brilliant crack!fic bunny: a strange but incredibly complex parallel universe in which the 17th Century ICW's bureaucratic overkill in the creation of the International St - St... of, er, something... meant that wi - er... people... couldn't discuss or show each other ma - ma - um, stuff... even in the 20th century.

...enter Dark Lord.

9. Inverarity

Inverarity Groundskeeper

You're not alone.

10. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

One the few I hate the most is defiantly/definitely. Followed by now/know, which is also pretty common, followed by you're/your. And lastly is the 2 words psychologist, and psychiatrist; lots of people get these wrong.

11. JimmyCranberry

JimmyCranberry High Inquisitor

Fixed that for you. Bane of my mid-teens.

In all seriousness, though, I fall into the trap of using redundant commas quite often. I suppose, it must be a force of habit. And perhaps a lack of instruction. I'd like to think that reading quality fanfiction over the last couple of years has helped to teach me far better than all those years of English classes.

12. Sledgehammer

Sledgehammer Second Year

Should of, could of, would of. I wish more people knew how to properly contract the word 'have.'

13. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Should'f, could'f, would'f. Easy.

14. Remmy

Remmy Fourth Year

I have a love for commas. Its disturbing. My sentences go on and on and on, the number of thoughts in them as well, and they're all separated by my precious commas. Its one of the things I have to work on. There used to be a time when I would write 100-word sentences. They'd drive my Mum up the wall.

Also, the whole no comma before a conjunction thing. Well, I didn't know that one for a while. I used to confuse that rule with Oxford commas. I know better now.

15. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

Well, from what I can gather that's not a 'rule' per se. It's supposedly redundant, but some people prefer it (see: the above quote from Walsh's "Elephants of Style," and also Taure's quote from Elements of Sentences That Aren't Part of HP and the Lords of Magic. ...kidding, T. :awesome)

I also feel that sentences can look awkward with that comma omitted. Not always, but perhaps most of the time.

16. Sacrosanct

Sacrosanct Auror

lol

Was that intentional?

17. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I have a thing for commas too. I try to keep sentences shorter so I don't have that urge to use them as often, but sometimes they just slip out.

18. Remmy

Remmy Fourth Year

I know what you mean. I have had to restart writing my new chapter twice now because I am thoroughly dissatisfied with the writing style. Mainly due to the commas.

19. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

That whole sentences bites its thumb at, uh, rules of thumb.