1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Guild Wars 2

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Fenraellis, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Paimon

Paimon That fucking cat

Looks like everyone's going to be re-rolling. I'll be rolling Sylvari on Borlis Pass if anyone's interested.

I'M LOOKING AT YOU SKYKES AND AZIRA.

Footnote: Scavenger's Causeway didn't really put up much of a fight in WvW in the last beta. I was on Borlis Pass originally and they seemed to do okay, but we'll see.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  2. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

I'm definitely running a Sylvari primary for this Beta. Probably an Asura as well, if not a Norn/Charr too. I would like to test out a Mesmer, Ranger, and Guardian at least(in that order), if maybe sample some others as well.

So, I suppose that Borlis Pass will be the server that we meet on?

3. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I'll be able to play for an hour or so before work when the beta starts, then I'll be back in 12 hours to play again. Can somebody confirm that we are playing on Borlis Pass? Can we get a voip server set up also?

4. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

I already started on Borlis Pass with my brother earlier. My Guild Wars account name is the same as here.

5. Paimon

Paimon That fucking cat

No numerical ID?

For instance, I'm Paimon.8263. Unless you're the only Fenraellis you should have an ID of the format Fenraellis.####

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  6. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

Fenraellis.4198, sorry about that. Anyway, I've had fun playing the game, and while I liked the Sylvari about as much as expected, the Asura were a pleasant surprise. Their particular styling and humor was quite enjoyable.

That, and being an Asuran Guardian in heavy armor, going about practically kneecapping enemies when I went to the Norn area that my friend decided to start in(and more or less refused to look elsewhere), was a simple pleasure.

7. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

Hello again, and I'm just curious about peoples' intention as to being on the same server as each other. While I know that, with the intended guild system, I will almost definitely form my own guild with other friends, I am also keenly interested in having some form of a "DLP Guild" organization.

Of course, whoever happens to be the Guild Leader would need to be decided on as well, as I can't recall off the top of my head if any of the DLP Mods are intending to play the game. That is, presuming that one of them even deserves/desires to be the Guild Leader anyway :p.

At least the name and tag would be easy to come up with, although I'm not sure about the possible Symbol/Banner, aside from the colors.

8. Skykes

I'm going to be very active once this comes out. I'd like to make a DLP guild and represent it most of the time.

You can only represent one guild at a time, although you can switch freely. Representing means that any actions you take(like killing stuff, pvp or even logging in) go towards your represented guild and gives them currency which can be spent on bonuses.

9. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

Ayup, I figure that I'll check both on login, then just represent the one that I'm playing with for that time, of course.

10. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Considering that I have just bought myself a new computer, I think that it'd be a crime not to play this. I'd also be keen to play in a DLP guild.

11. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So, I'm not sure how I feel about the DDE and the Collectors Edition having access to ingame skills that those who only buy the regular edition will never have. I know it's been said that the Mistfire Wolf Pet Elite Skill isn't going to be more powerful or cause imbalance, but it's still selling in-game mechanics for money. Something I despise.

Honestly, I'm not THAT worried about this skill in particular, because it's an elite skill and thus will take up that slot, and won't be useable pre-30.. but it's a worrying precedent, too. Especially with the addition of the Chalice of Glory and Tome of Influence. It's bothersome that they're showing their willingness to sell advantages to players, even if they are only small so far... how far will it go if the game doesn't do well? Or if the profit margins show that selling power is going to be a successful business model?

12. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

It's just a tiny bump that won't make much difference, if any notable difference at all, I think the tome is 50, maybe 100 influence and can only be used once? It's just a little something extra if you want a tiny headstart, and considering the only way they'll make money after launch is micro-transactions regarding the gem store and extra bank slots, vanity items and so on, I've got no real qualms with it.

I suppose if you have a Guild and you manage to get everyone to pre-purchase the £65 or whatever it is middle version then it might be a problem, but odds are a guild like that would be PvP orientated and even then, the impact won't be felt till at least a week after release I imagine. Admittedly it's all just speculation but, I think it'll be fine.

13. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

Well, only having been in a 'guild' with my brother for my short stint of the Beta, I didn't find that it took all that long to generate fifty points if people are doing events frequently.

According the the wiki's page on Influence, it really shouldn't be all that hard to earn fifty, or even one-hundred points if you have a few people in your guild regularly doing Events or PvP. Depending on how much 'increase substantially' means, if a pair of people were doing Events, it might be possible to get around five influence every 5-10 minutes. Let alone having more people doing stuff, same or otherwise.

The only potential abuse is if every new character can get the items, then all you have to do is simply keep making and deleting characters and using the bonus-influence-for your-guild item that comes with them. Free banker golem and free PvP Glory on wouldn't really matter though, as only that character benefits from the golem as a convenience, while PvP Glory is merely for appearance. Only the guild influence item really has the same potential for abuse.
    The Miniature is obvious in that it won't give any sort of power.

The Mistfire Wolf summon elite, if it's anything like the racial skills, will likely be tricky enough to fit into a real build, and that's considering whether it isn't a supposedly slightly 'weaker' skill than class skills, like racial ones are stated as. I'll go ahead and presume that it can't be used in Structured PvP, and will cost the same points as a comparable skill(probably 20, not 30), just like the racial skills, and thus the real question of exactly what degree of 'power' you're buying is highly relative.

If the latter portion is true, then even with having access to the skill, you will still need to save and and spend the points on it, like any other skill. All it really means is that your characters have to perform an extra twenty to thirty skill challenges throughout the game if they want to get all skills learned.

-----

Altogether, I simply don't think any of the above will have a significant effect. If nothing else, aside from the Architecture section of influence spending, all influence expenditures are simply limited duration effects.

Also, it's easily possible, that only one character can claim the physical item benefits(in a similar way to claiming bonuses for the original GW), and every one has the Mistfire Wolf elite in their skill list.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  14. Skykes

There's a stress test today for anybody interested.

15. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

I don't think I'll bother with it, since I had my fun in the beta weekend and can't see myself accomplishing much in the four-hour test that I wouldn't be repeating when I played against later anyway.

:EDIT:
    ...couldn't help myself.

:Edit-the-2nd:
    Hmm, I played around with a friend of mine that will be buying it on the 22nd, but was playing on my brother's account for this. There was some unusual lag, such that despite the fact that there was significantly fewer players than the former Beta Weekends(no announcement on the official site would kind of cause such), there was some lag. I don't even remember lag in the much more populated Beta Weekend.

Either way, in the last few minutes, there were some server messages where they were thanking people for playing, and apologizing for the unexpected lag which apparently affected both their GW2 Beta test and also the original Guild Wars realms.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  16. Master-666

Master-666 Third Year

One of the US server links was having network problems causing anyone connecting to their server through it alot of lagg.

17. The Silent Knight

The Silent Knight Seventh Year

They did say they were actively working on the game, that could explain some of the problems.

18. Skykes

13 days gents.

19. The Silent Knight

The Silent Knight Seventh Year

Is that till the early access?

20. Myduraz

Myduraz Headmaster DLP Supporter

Yes, 25th for EA. 28th for regular launch.