1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Guild Wars 2

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Fenraellis, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I need to change my pants. The PvP in this game is going DESTROY SW:ToR's PvP community if it is even 2/3rds as good as they're making it out to be.

2. Myduraz

Myduraz Headmaster DLP Supporter

I'll stick out my neck and call it a bust early.

I believe the concepts are way to ambitious to succeed, which will only magnify the fail. But then again, here's to hoping I'm a paranoid sceptic and that it'll be as awesome as you imagine it. God knows I need a mmo pvp game worth playing.

3. Darth Disaster

High Score:
    People said the same thing about GW 1.

It did fantastically. It was just terribly overshadowed by WoW.

4. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I loved Guild Wars more than WoW. I found wow to be annoying as hell, but Guild Wars to be plot driven, and more interesting.

5. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    WoW didn't keep me interested for more than a month; GW has me playing six years after I first got it.

The only complaint I have against GW1 is the horrible, horrible dramatic cutscenes. Here's to hoping for proper cinematics in GW2.

6. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

7. Fishy Justice

Fishy Justice Fourth Year

So I watched a 45 minute video of WvW. It has good elements in it, but that 45 minutes was a stalemate. Death isn't that punishing, and it seems like anyone who's smart about it can avoid death for the most part. Take that as you will.

Golems are piloted, and the only one I saw in action did very little(they have roughly 100,000 health). Also projectiles, lots and lots of projectiles.

As of this moment I'm assuming the large majority of territory shifts will be ninja'd by large groups on at different times. But the video didn't use siege weaponry effectively, so I'm waiting to see more of that.

8. Darth Disaster

High Score:
    I am honestly hoping for 'General' Like figures to emerge. People who know strategy and can impliment it.

I'd gladly follow the commands of someone who knew what they were doing.

The question is, will the community be of the sort to foster such a thing. Or, as I suspect, will the nature of PvPers kill any chance of REAL teamwork and strategy?

9. Myduraz

Myduraz Headmaster DLP Supporter

I suspect the same thing as you, hence I am sceptic towards the success using such 'complicated' design. Premades is the answer, though how large of a premade you can control when it's WvWvW, that's anyones guess.

10. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I imagine people who are after greater levels of strategy in WvWvW will join Guilds with likeminded people and go from there. Easier to coordinate a number of Guilds than one seething mass.

11. Sully

Sully Groundskeeper

12. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

I just saw the e-mail from several hours ago, and I have to wait until I get home in around five to six hours to do it...:(

---------- Post automerged at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

By the way, as I'm not home yet, but had time to look at things, I noticed something relevant to the Beta. Apparently there is a post on their Twitter that:
    So, those that are interested, had best be signing up soon.

Also:
    ---------- Post automerged Feb 23rd, 2012 at 01:35 PM ---------- Previous post was Feb 22nd, 2012 at 04:32 PM ----------

About 21-22 hours left to sign up for the Beta(supposedly, at least based upon when I got the e-mail inviting me to sign up).

-----

Also, in case anybody wanted to know about the revamped Traits system, here are some relevant articles:
    GW2 Homepage Traits Overview

A nice Blog Post about the changes to the system between Old and New.

GW2 Wiki list of Traits by Class

13. Rawrixmoo

Rawrixmoo Second Year

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/press-closed-beta-test-t27964.html

Assembles a lot of videos for various aspects of the game like the different PvP maps, WvWvW, profession skills and abilities and even the first dungeon. The only downside is the general complain that most of the people in the videos kind of suck.

Out of the list if you haven't seen it yet Divinity's Reach might be one of the most beautiful and vibrant cities I've ever seen designed for a game.

14. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

15. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

So... they just released Pre-Purchase, Digital/Digital Deluxe and Collector's Edition information. Oh, and preliminary minimum system requirements too.

Here you go:
    Shazam~!

(follow the "Learn More" link if you want a visual of the physical components of the Collector's Edition)

16. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

The various articles and developer diaries excited me for the game, but the graphics just kill my enthusiasm. It's puzzling that Star Wars: The Old Republic and Guild Wars 2 still look like that. How much longer till things stop looking so primitive? I'm down to wait a few more years before getting into an MMORPG, and graphics will catch up to the sophistication of ideas.

17. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

While I do understand what you mean, it is perhaps worth noting that nearly all of the videos circulating about the game show the game running on nearly their lowest graphical mode, simply for testing purposes. There are some that can be found which definitely do look better and show higher graphical settings.

That said, there is the whole aspect of potentially having so many players within one area and trying to not have the game run on single-digit frames-per-second. Certain graphical optimizations become necessary, although they do attempt to 'hide' it with things like the background shifting to the 'painterly style' if far enough away.

18. Darth Disaster

High Score:
    The thing is, when you get fifty players in one area with top-notch graphics. All using their skills furiously and spawning huge effects..

You end up with a game that has a framerate lower than the number of notches on Mknotes bedpost.

19. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

Beta Invites are on their way out, a friend & his cousin got their e-mails from Arenanet this morning so keep your eyes peeled & naturally avoid the spammers.

Fingers crossed for myself & everyone else on DLP.

20. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

Yeah, an... associate(hard to say 'friend,' since I've only interacted with him a few times) mentioned getting one when I spoke with him yesterday.:mad:

Bleh, ah well. I'll likely be doing the Pre-Purchase come the tenth of April anyway, but even so.:(