1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry/Fleur Community

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Methene, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Stenstyren

Stenstyren Professor

I did a reread of it, and it still holds up quite well. Some clichés that are to be expected from a 2008 fic, perhaps a little bit to much focus on magic-theory in certain places, but overall an engaging read. It's also at a lenght where it doesn't overstay its welcome, but rather wraps it all up into a neat package.
    An excellent one-day read now in these times!

2. FreakLord

FreakLord Professor DLP Supporter

I just reread the The Thief of Hogwarts and I still consider it one of the top HP/FD fic. Over 10 years old but still as good.

3. Utsane

Utsane Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I also remember A Cadmean Victory fondly, though it has been quite a while since I last read through it.

4. Gurukid

Gurukid Third Year

Flower for the Soul is a decent time waster. The premise is that the Horcrux inside Harry's head speaks to him after a traumatic event when he is 7, and begins serving as a mentor / father figure.

Harry is definitely super-powered in this one, and is a prodigy on par with Dumbledore, Grindelwald, and Voldemort, though the story offers a semi-believable way for him to get there.

The Horcrux Tom was probably my biggest problem with this fic. His personality is completely overhauled (which is explained as this being the last piece of humanity left in Tom Riddle) and some of the dialogue between him and Harry is cringe-worthy at best...

...which is why the story becomes much better IMO once Tom dies after the graveyard scene at the end of year 4.

That said, it's always refreshing to read a competent Harry, and some of the fight scenes and magic in this one make up for the lack of character depth.

The Harry/Fleur relationship is a pretty "meh" part of the fic IMO and feels forced at times, especially the numerous Delacour family scenes... but there was nothing there that was bad enough to make me want to give up on the story.

It breezes through Years 1-3, only dedicating 1 chapter to each. The story really takes off in Year 4.

Overall, I don't think the fic will ever make the Library, but if you want to read about a competent, ruthless Harry on who is light years ahead of his peers (and later on ahead of everyone else as well) due to Tom's tutelage and Harry's work ethic, you'll like this one. I read through it in a couple days without skimming, so it clearly held my interest.

5. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I know that realistically it's probably fine because the fanfIcs aren't behind the patron paywall but it still feels shady as fuck reading a fic where the author is dedicating it to his Patreon followers. Just feels dirty.