1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry/Gabrielle

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by BsuperB, Nov 6, 2008.

1. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

@Tinn Tamm, I fold, I was most likely going to see if I can find the scene when I got home, must have gotten it mixed up with a fanfic, my apologies for that.

@Mindless, people still live in their own feces, the numbers tend to increase as the economy goes down, and behold the age of the bums, nothing new.

I probably should have read past chapter 1, it takes a downhill slope from there. Though I guess one could argue it gets bad at part 1, but my standards for fics aren't that high, otherwise I wouldn't have anything to read.

2. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

You're such an unsightly character.

Giving Shezza sole credit for that story.

Hang your head in shame you knave.

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  3. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

This is why I love you. Plus, it saved me having to say it, which appeals to my woefully large lazy streak. Still, as lazy as I am, I'm not so lazy as to not pay attention to things like, oh, a book title or the proper use of HP terms.

/Me blinks.

I admire a man willing to die for a rhyme.

I think. :confused:

I think NightSpy's point was that, with Wizarding culture being about a hundred years behind ours (or is that mostly a fanon convention?), they might not look askance at such an arrangement (with the emphasis on Arrangement).

It hasn't been that long ago, historically speaking (1837-1901), that a middle-aged man could begin courting a fourteen year-old girl, with her parents' permission. And if the Black Family Tree (yeah, I know...) is to be believed, Bellatrix's father was 12-13 when she was conceived (no word on the mother's age, but she could be the older one in that equation, given the Wizarding World's leaning towards gender equality).

Not saying it's right, just putting the info out there.

(Hell, it's hard enough getting mature conversation out of people your own age, I can't imagine trying to date a girl that young. How does that even work? Were people that much more patient back then?)

4. Verminard

Verminard Seventh Year

I think the Wizarding World being stuck in the Victorian Era is something of a fandom convention. Right up there with marriage contracts, Harry being both a Black by adoption and somehow head of a family, etc. Rowling really didn't explore her world much in the series, so there is a lot one could do with it.

Sexual conventions weren't really touched upon, but since kids were making out in the halls I don't think they were too strict. The sexes seemed mostly equal too, the idea that chicks can be enslaved or taken unwillingly into a harem or rich pureblood also seems to be just groupthink.

A few centuries ago rich families may have married off at 11 or 12, but that doesn't mean the marriages were consumated right away.

5. Kthr

Kthr Unspeakable DLP Supporter

People matured faster back then too. Medicine nearly doubled our life spawn in the last two decades or so, children were expect to work/fight sooner than today, there was no television and so on.

So, less fangirls talking about twilight to piss us off.

That would depend on the age were talking about:

Spartan chicks would get sexual education from slaves as soon as they hit puberty.
    Ius Primae Noctis on some feuds during the middle ages.

Heck, even today lots of people lose their virginity by choice even before the girl menstruates. Granted, its the exception rather than the rule but it still exists.(unless you count in some countries of Africa. But that has more to do with a really shot life spawn than TV fucking up kids minds)

6. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

I suspect conversation was one of the last things considered when choosing a partner.

Marriage, as I understand it, arose about in the West so that assets could be exchanged and families could inherit or disinherit wealth. Of course I'm no anthropologist (marriage is older than recorded history, possibly), but at least for the time period we assume Wizarding Society is based upon, marriage is less about love and more about financial, political, or genetic gain.

Some more free-thinking or modernized magical folk would disagree on a relationship between Harry/Gabrielle, but who knows what Molly Weasly would say... but I don't think it's appropriate in most people's eyes, especially those who are important in Harry's life (thus making a relationship more unlikely). That's simply my impression though. I guess it could be accepted by their society.

7. Kthr

Umbridge punished those miscreant for their lack of self-respect and constraint!

"Poor boy. Ginny has to give him a stronger potion"

Edit: Yea, useless comments since I somehow double posted with my first edit?:confused:

8. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

LOL, marriage contracts.

Fuck you, Snape.
    Fuck you, Lucius.
    Fuck you, Draco.
    Fuck you, Fangirls (and anyone else who thinks Snape looks like this).

Just so you know, in the HP Fandom, becoming a werewolf's mate against your will (and/or gender preference) is apparently the new 'marriage contract' and 'veela mate'. So...

Fuck you, Internet. :awesome

Blargh, I would think not. Then again, I suppose some did as well. I wonder what the statistics on that would be?

Despite Twain's opinion of them, I often find statistics and facts to be quite fascinating (and in some cases scary/repugnant, but you'll have that).

Ho-lee crap. I guess today we have video games as an alternative way to combat boredom.

You know, instead of getting hitched.

ROFL, yeah... Apparently intelligence and interest in politics were discouraged in a 'proper Victorian lady'. I guess what they really wanted were Stepford Wives. Automata were fairly popular back in the day. :(

Molly's too much of a fuckin' harridan to fall into that mold, regardless of era.

Edit: Incidentally, the etymology of harridan would more aptly describe Petunia or Walburga, but it generally refers to being a shrew and a bitch, which suits Molly fairly well.

9. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

>_>

<_<

Retort.

10. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

I think it's safe to say that most wealthy purebloods in the HP universe would marry for financial, political, or genetic gain, but this isn't a safe generalization to make about Victorian society.

The above statement applied to the wealthy and the nobility, but not to the unwashed masses. The Victorian Age was also the age of the Industrial Revolution, and it spawned all sorts of societal nastiness (a la Dickens) that we tend to ignore when we think of uptight, prissy Victorians. The middle class was just getting on its feet, and the lower classes almost never had the option of marrying for financial or political gain.

On topic, I think that a non-contractual relationship between a 17-year-old and an 11-year-old would cause a minor scandal, even if we apply Victorian England's standards.

11. Kthr

Just run to another country. There was a village in Scotland(Gretna Green or something) which allowed marriages with 12-year-old girls and 14-year-old boys without any parental consent, as long as you had two witnesses. Later own, even blacksmiths were allowed to perform the ceremony.(that was around 1700)

Just a thought: would other countries accept that as a legal marriage?

12. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

The Arab nations probably would. Some parts of South East Asia too, but they are getting better and cracking down on those.

13. Nukular Winter

Nukular Winter The Chosen One DLP Supporter

HAWT:

[​IMG]

fapfapfap

14. Verminard

Verminard Seventh Year

Since there are only a few thousand wizarding types across the UK it gets a little silly when they are given titles like Lord Malfoy or Baron Potter and what not. I always thought of it more as a large village style community, except not really centralized. There might be some gentry but they are not aristocrats. The rich might marry each other off for social status or to keep the blood pure, but the whole thing about marrying off children or having marriage contracts is stupid.

15. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

The Independent! Harem-Master!Harry formula really needs an update. My first reaction to how the pure-blood laws are usually portrayed in these fics was WTF? Nowadays this just shortens my attention spam considerably.

On topic: Harry Potter and the Veela Bond 2/5 is rather generous for this fic, but some people just might be that desperate for Veela romance.

16. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

You do realize the kid is about 30 years younger right? I was talking 5 years younger not 2 decades and married to a dying old geezer. But that was kind of funny, because it is true.

Either case I still support the HP x Gabrielle pairing, in a nonsexual way, I don't really find Fleur or Gabby that sexually attractive, sure they are creatures of lust, but they don't try and act sexy like the girls in Dresden files.

What attracts most people I think is their character, they are both rich snobbish girls who seem to look down on everyone in general, for some reason that is a turn on. I think it is the fact that they are not easy to nail is what makes them even more beautiful. Most stories they are virgins so it is a plus for PC nerds.

Yes they have blond hair, blue eyes, and pale skin, but such traits are too superficial and pretty girls with no character are really boring in any given novel.

That fact that out of the two girls, Gabby actually likes Harry is what makes the difference. "She is always talking about you, 'Arry" I don't Gabby wants to sleep with Harry, she sees him more of a hero type, kind of like what Ginny sees, but even more innocent.

I have sometimes wanted to write an HP x GD fic, but every plot I think of just seems wrong, has loopholes and would just be a waste of time. Also you get PM's and reviews with people saying "Add smut, please add smut' and 'can you add Fleur too? and her mum?"

17. JWH

JWH Unspeakable

But do you realize there's more physical difference between a 17-year-old and a 11-year-old than between, say, a 45-year-old and a 17-year-old. The magic trick is called puberty: once you're an adult, you stay an adult for a looooong time.

IIRC, nympho!veelas are fanon. That would make Fleur a regular girl that can attract men even more easily that she could with just her looks. As in, not a creature of lust.

Here's the answer :
    Because we all loved how Stalker Ginny got the boy in the end.

Obviously, you're pretty much alone in your desire for 8-year-old smut.

18. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Emphasis mine.

So... do you have trouble with comprehension, or are you trying to be an inflammatory moron?

Considering how serious pedophilia is, and how allegations of it (even on the internet) have the potential to fuck up a person's life, it might be wise to lay off the direct accusations until upon which time you have a more concrete reason to open your fucking yap. (We've covered this here before, though I do believe those posts were excised, and for good reason.)

In short, when dealing with serious business err on the side of not being a douche.

19. JWH

JWH Unspeakable

Fair enough.

20. CaptainG

CaptainG Third Year

Anyone checked out The Unexpected Result Of...? When I saw it I thought it was spawned from this thread. Harry + 8 year old Gabrielle...
    Not massively brilliant other than that though