1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry/Hermione Community

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by darklordmike, Nov 13, 2009.

1. whateveritis12

whateveritis12 Third Year

How bout the fact that like he said above Hermione specifically points out that she was thinking/going to ask Ron to go to Slughorn's Christmas Party with her. Then Ginny tells him that there's a possibility that Hermione made out with Viktor and he decides to get his own experiences. Of course everything is after the fact that while they haven't out and out stated they are seeing each other it's pretty well implied at the time. Ron uses his new found popularity to bag him a chick and then pretends that the conversation between the two about the Christmas Party didn't mean anything to him.

Also their's the fact that he cruelly imitates Hermione jumping up and down with her hand up in the air because she laughs at him because he looked stupid (something that everyone in the class laughed at, it wasn't just her). Pretty much the whole time Ron is dating Lavender they exchange jibes that go beyond anything they did before.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  2. Nukular Winter

Nukular Winter The Chosen One DLP Supporter

And didn't Hermione respond by DOING THE EXACT SAME THING (you know, taking McClaggen to make Ron jealous? And not the awesome McClaggen from vlad's story, it was the douchebag from canon that nobody could stand)

Seems like a bit of a wash, particularly if you're trying to find some fault with Ron.

What?

[Insert quizzical dog picture]

3. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

Er, you just got five citations, and then whateveritis added another two. Are you just really bored right now, nuke? Because you're going way out of your way to pick fights.

My point was that Ron is a dick when they fight, not that they "do nothing but viciously fight." (I know you're smart enough to realize that "they fight like cats and dogs in every book" =/= "they do nothing but viciously fight." Stop exaggerating everyone's claims so you can make a snarky retort).

Your original claim was that anyone who could read ought to recognize that Ron and Hermione's bickering was a result of their being unable to properly express their true feelings for one another. I have no doubt that JKR was aiming for that. I also have no doubt that some of their fights went way beyond 'flirting masked as bickering' - Ron is a total fucking prick in many of them. I really don't see how you can deny that he intentionally tries to hurt her.

4. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

Trolls trolling trolls. This couldn't be more trolly unless we started using image macros.

5. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Lol no, actually. Not at all. Taking someone on a date to antagonize someone you're crushing on =/= jumping down some airheaded bitch's throat when in line-of-sight of someone you're crushing on.

*sidenote: lol, why did y'all censor DIB ?

6. Nukular Winter

Meh. I had a Lav-Lav of my own, back in the day. The visible hickeys and doing PDAs were less about rubbing it in somebody's face than showing the world that I was getting some...

More:

Ron:"She's a bit embarrassing, but she lets me play with her tits."
    Harry:"Right on."

Less:
    *Ron fingers Lavender in the common room while leering at Hermione*
    Ron:"In your face, cunt!!"
    Hermione:*sob*

7. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

@NW: You say I make the same retarded arguments as they do, but you ignored the majority of my post to pick out one sentence which was, while perhaps exaggerated, still a valid point. Even you phrased it as constant bickering. I don't think that works. I honestly have no idea why you feel the need to jump down my throat over something that was only one part of the post I made.

No matter the intent or degree behind what happens between them, all of those situations and their relationship in general is negative. None of it is good, no matter how bad it may be on a scale of 1 to 10.

8. Nukular Winter

If it makes you feel better, I have no idea who you are and had to go looking the thread to figure out what you were talking about here.

Stop taking it so personally, you big baby.

All arguments are bad for relationships? Ridiculous.

9. afrojack

Stop acting like such a fucking asshole then.

Again, you generalize statements until they are unrecognizable. I never said anything of the sort, only pointing out that they fight more than is normal.

But you're obviously trolling, and this discussion has become useless.

10. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

That's you, not Ron.

Ron didn't see Harry put his name in the goblet, but upon hearing his name called, he reacted negatively regardless of a lack of proof.

Ron didn't see Hermione snogging Krum, but upon hearing that she'd snogged him, he reacted negatively regardless of a lack of proof.

In his situation, I think vindictiveness and personal gratification were pretty much equal - y'know, a "killing two birds with one stone" type of deal.

EDIT:
    Annnnd here we go -__-

11. Nukular Winter

Ahem...

Do you know why Ron liked to argue with Hermione? Because when they were arguing, 100% of her attention was focused on him.

Do you know why Hermione liked to argue with Ron? See above.

12. whateveritis12

whateveritis12 Third Year

The talk about the Christmas party is pretty much a talk about seeing if they would work as a couple. If things go as they should they would start going out in the time before or after the party. Ron heard things that made him jealous, and decided to stick his tongue down Lav-Lav's throat. Then he decides that the talk that they had about the party didn't happen the way it happened, he flat out ignored the meaning of the discussion on purpose to explain away his guilt (if he was feeling any) about the whole situation.

It happens right before Harry asks Luna to the Christmas party. Hermione runs into the bathroom after the class, and Harry brings her her stuff. Luna comes out they talk how Ron can be a dick, and Harry asks her to go to the party.

13. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

Back to fic recs: Evil Be Thou My Good and All Problems Solved. The second story is slightly heavier on the H/Hr if I remember correctly, but most of you have probably read them already so whatever.

Psychic Serpent was entertaining, especially considering its age and overbearing Redeemed!Draco. But it hardly counts since the latter two stories in the trilogy feature a Harry/Ginny/Draco triangle.

I'm having trouble thinking of others with sufficiently solid characterisation at the moment.

14. Nukular Winter

Would it be fair to consider the (fairly obscure, nice) incident you're talking about to be part of the Won-Won fight?

15. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

Heh. Yeah, we should definitely assume that afrojack was referring to all arguments in all hypothetical relationships everywhere, rather than to the specific arguments between R and Hr that we've been discussing. Because 'those situations' is just too ambiguous a phrase. Next time, afro, be sure to narrow it down so we don't assume you're talking about some hypothetical argument between an old married couple in China.

Obvious trolling is obvious.

Moving on...

I missed this earlier, akaktsn. Necromancer!Hermione is in HP and the Lost Demon. It's been awhile since I've read it, but I really enjoyed it a couple years ago.

16. Nukular Winter

True. And as Mike pointed out, my interpretation of Ron's motives are at least as valid as his.

Lavender had as much to do with Ginny giving him shit that he was the only person in his year that had never kissed a girl as it did with Krum.

(And how come nobody ever bats an eye at the idea of Hermione whoring around with Krum, anyway?)

My work here is done...

17. afrojack

Ahem...you're still wrong.

I never said all arguments are bad for relationships, I said the ones that had been pointed out were. I doubt any of the situations DLM or whateveritis12 brought up were good for Ron and Hermione's relationship.

EDIT: DLM caught it before I did.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  18. Gabrinth

Gabrinth Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Lol, I think my troll-dar just went BEEPBEEPBEEP!

Seriously?

19. Nukular Winter

Shhhhhhh. ;)

20. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Yes, yes, very amusing. To you and only you.

Since you've already thoroughly expressed your points (basically that the R/Hr fights were foreplay, that you hate Harmonians, and that you hate them enough to give a hard time to the less fanatical people who enjoy H/Hr without wearing foil hats), maybe you could be so kind as to either contribute something useful to the thread, or just move along. That way people who enjoy H/Hr can make recommendations and have a halfway civil discussion.

After all, you've more or less just flat-out stated that you're only here to troll now. We get it, really, so why continue to waste time on a ship you can't stand?

I suspect that is far, far too much to ask, but I'm doing it anyway, because I must be at least a little insane to try and be the voice of reason.

The smart money (as with any similar situation on the net) would be on you staying in this thread and acting the douche until it gets locked or someone gets banned, but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway.

The irony of you turning into a rabid anti-Harmonian who acts like a dick as a reaction to rabid Harmonians who act like dicks isn't amusingly ironic enough to make up for the space this shit is wasting. Have fun staring into the abyss.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009