1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Harry Potter and Death's Incarnate by Shujin1 - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Shezza, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Shujin

Shujin Second Year

I'm getting the feeling that the rewrite should probably be The Dark Arts and not The Alternates. Anyway, any problems?

2. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

I remember reading this a long time ago and enjoying it, so thought I'd try the rewrite. I've just finished the first chapter and love it. I'll give a better review later when I've actually got into the meat of the story but I can already tell I'm going to really enjoy this story.

Your description of the summoning and the entity were fantastic.

3. TSN

TSN Auror

So update, I want to unch Lily in the face... I forgot how to use spoiler tag so I wont comment on why.

4. Shujin

Shujin Second Year

Er, ok, that's an interesting reaction I didn't expect.

5. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Gonna give it a go. Haven't read the original that I remember. Should I read the original (complete) one first, or this one? Not sure how major a rewrite it is (or is the rewrite also complete? I notice similar word counts. If so I'll just go with the revision).

Edit: IRC convinced me to just go with the new version. Read the first chapter. It's good. I really like the original premise. I shall continue. Good length on this story too -- not super crazy long, but still a proper read.

Wasn't a huge fan of Lily but she didn't irritate me either. Not sure if I like "Thana" as opposed to just calling her/it Death, but it works and it's as good a name as any.

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  6. Shujin

Shujin Second Year

I figured tossing Death as a name everywhere would get real old quickly for me personally. I keep a lot of elements from the original, but it is a major rewrite. IRC did not steer you wrong, I prefer my second try.

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  7. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Got to Chapter 7, will finish up with Chapter 8 tomorrow.

All in all the writing is good. There were quite a few bits that made me grin and take notice. Thumbs up for that.

Near the end I started having a little trouble here and there following what exactly was going on, but I suspect some of that might be that I was getting tired. Might re-read a bit of Chapter 7 b/c of that.

It's... easily a 4/5 and earned the spot in the library, though I haven't read the original version to compare. Maybe a 4.5/5, but more than that I'm not sure. It doesn't rehash canon, it uses some neat ideas, and so on. I just can't quite bring myself to give it full stars.

8. Russano

Russano Disappeared

I was pretty confused by the last chapter. Don't have a clue about what happened in the scene with Thana.

9. Shujin

Shujin Second Year

If you are able to identify problem spots, please do so. I certainly don't mind editing my chapters for a better quality.

EDIT: Russ, You don't have the slightest idea? Well, that's worrying.

10. Russano

Russano Disappeared

Went back and reread that part. Are we supposed to know what Tartarus is within story? Or is it something you are supposed to know out of Greek Mythos, because I didn't recognize the name. Also is Harry supposed to know what that is? If he is then you could of said Tartarus the land of the dead or something for clarity.

The loud scream and the "something dying." Is that the girl he was attached to in the hospital dying? If so I wouldn't know that until after reading the latter scenes.

I have trouble telling time periods and locations in this story because you pick up in the middle of a scene within the head of a character whose thoughts are surreal. For example at the start of this chapter for some reason I thought Lily was in a flashback scene to Halloweenish talking about her wand, because of the immediate accompanying James scene. Then we go back to the present with Dumbledore but it takes me a while to tell that it's actually in the present again.

Since I find it hard to follow I'm always annoyed when authors don't let me know which character I'm reading about at the very start of a scene. If it's meant to be a shrouded figure who we aren't sure of the identity of its fine, but if it reveals it mid scene I'd rather have just known all along and not wandered along confused.

I have to reorient myself every scene change in this story, which is fine to a small degree, but sometimes it takes longer then I'd like.

11. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

I'm enjoying this quite a bit; I'm not sure what's going on, but I have a few guesses. That said, I'm excitedly waiting for the big reveal, as I'm quite enjoying the story so far

12. Shujin

Shujin Second Year

Harry doesn't know, if the reader does more power to them but it isn't expected, and yes, not knowing until the later scenes is intended. What isn't intended is the chapter frame setting causing problems with clarity :/

13. gbbz

gbbz Professor

I don't think it does. It is a bit more obscure than your run of the mill straightforward fanfiction but is that a bad thing? I found the chapter mildly confusing, because I read it as a new chapter on ff.net at first (I quit at 1/5th or something). It was not suited as a read before work. Then, when I reread it later as a piece of original fiction it was quite enjoyable and very clear. Harry, Lily and Dumbledore are all very "in character" so to speak.
    Nothing made me suspect that it was a retrospection or something similar. Do not suit your fic to please all the readers, please.

14. Shujin

Shujin Second Year

It's just that its the same issue that caused the massively polarizing reviews of the original version, I kind of wanted to avoid having half my readers going :dafuq? So I'm a bit sensitive about falling back into old "breadcrumb" habits.

15. gbbz

gbbz Professor

The old version has almost nothing to do with this one. This is a horror or a mystery, the other was high fantasy (yes, I would classify it as such, it was all too "clean" and orderly for me, though still decent it was not as good as this).

The rewrite should have it own thread, I think. It has so little to do with the original, apart from the premise, that it should not be connected with it, it should stand on its own two feet, as the saying goes.

16. Shujin

Shujin Second Year

Starting to feel the same, if only just because The Dark Arts subforum fits it much better. Live and learn.

17. TSN

TSN Auror

make a new thread. had about 3 paragraph of 5 line each explaining my tought on the story, lost it all when I pressed backspace and it closed the damn tab, twice. too mad to do it again, wait till tomorow. maybe then I wont have to deal with this shitty laptop. had it for 2 year and I still cant use its keyboard without fuckingmyself over 3-4 time a day

18. Shujin

Shujin Second Year

Post it in it's brand spanking new Review thread.