1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Arcana by the Imaginizer - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Shezza, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Scott

Scott Professor DLP Supporter

I'll give it a 2.5/5. There's nothing making me feel like I need or want to read the next chapter. It's readable for sure but I found myself skimming over chapters and it had me feeling like it wasn't really a serious attempt at writing a... a serious? fanfic.

The author had some real good ideas and if she would of changed the dialogue and gotten rid of the attempts at humor and made the characters act more seriously it would of been a hell of more interesting to read.

Or for short; I don't think she executed her ideas good enough. Maybe she should of stamped a humor category on it, instead of supernatural.

2. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

I couldn't get into this, too many incredibly awkward references for my taste.

Like the scene where Harry says to Ollivander: "You're quite misunderstood, aren't you? So am I. Well, Mr. Ollivander, next time someone looks at you like you're crazy, just tell them that the lunatic is on the grass."

This is cringe-worthy writing, and the story is full of moments like this.

Given that I'm not going to read the whole thing, I won't rate it, but the fact that I can't force myself to read more of this should tell you my opinion.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  3. Scott

Scott Professor DLP Supporter

Exactly. Harry is a seer. The author should of made him say something else, like maybe a warning fore-site/prediction of danger to Ollivander it would of been way more interesting that would of played out in later chapters. Instead we get Harry saying something that not even Trelawney would say.

4. Beonid

Beonid Seventh Year DLP Supporter

should've (contraction of should have)

I found what Harry said to Ollivander appropriate, considering Harry's character at that point and the tone of the story itself. What you suggested wouldn't fit Harry's character, nor would it fit the tone of the story. It would simply make the story worse than it already is.

5. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Hm. Tried this story a few weeks back and it was going along quite well until he met the stoner. That scene was just... odd. It was meant to be odd, obviously, but... it just drove me away from the story.

Really killed my interest.

6. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

How does one go the subtler root?

7. ASmallBundleOfToothpicks

ASmallBundleOfToothpicks Professor

With magic, and bad spell-check-fu.

8. Infidel

Infidel Auror

Even though there are a few irritants in the story, it's not too bad.

A few of my peeves about the story are wizards mostly being dumb and lacking common sense, first and second year students making headway in combining technology and magic, seers being mouthpieces of the Gods, use of first year magics in the duel with Draco Malfoy by a person who can cast magic that affect ghosts that are protected by Hogwarts wards and Harry's lack of true fear and arrogance when confronted with the Dark Lord at the end of first year.

Some interesting points in the story are Harry's getting a job in Borgin and Burkes, his interest in esoteric magics and willingness to use these magics, humorous interaction with the students, etc.

I'll give it a 4/5 for being a refreshing read.

9. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

The stoner bit turned me off, but I ploughed through anyway. Thankfully he disappeared into a minor role we hardly ever see, and I hope he never returns.

Beyond that, it is definitely shaping into a good story. There are lots of good parts, and one minor thing that stood out for me that decided this was a different type of seer story was Harry not being able to read his own future on the train when he tried to. A lot of seer stories have Harry knowing everything, this one doesn't. It's a talent, not an ability that gives him all the answers. His smart and works thing out pretty easily, but you see how and it doesn't just appear to him because his a seer.

It starts off good, gets a little dicey with the stoner then becomes good again. There are inconsistency's and errors,*flashbacks* and some things aren't explained fully, plus little things that annoy you which you will find in nearly any story.

Ignore the stoner part as a badly done character thats not a major OC and disappears to a minor role later on in the story, and it's a worthy read.

4/5

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  10. kalespr

kalespr Fourth Year

There's something strange about reading this story. Much of it is fresh and new enough to hold my attention, and yet in feels extremely familiar; thankfully more of the comfort variety, rather than the boring variety.

What sets the story apart for me is the way Harry's being-not-quite-right-in-the-head-as-all-proper-seers-should-be manifests itself. It's the three degrees to the left of reality sort of crazy that I find enjoyable. The kind that can make one pause sometimes and say, "You're a little bit strange in the brain, you know that?", without going too far and wandering into proper "that's crazy talk" territory.

This Harry's charm (and some of the supporting cast) makes it easy to overlook the awkwardness in some plot points and the OC.

3.5/5, rounding up.