1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Ascension of Ra by Apocalypse Thou - M

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by docfrodo, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Are you seriously going so far as to compare two different series? That is not how to make an argument.

Stupid fucking Indians. -_-

2. Sal Paradise

Sal Paradise Fifth Year

...It still doesn't excuse the fact that the greatest dark lord ever died because Harry focused real hard and zapped him.

3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    While I too had a problem with the lightning at first, there are two redeeming features:

1. It's not used much for the rest of the story.

2. It's clearly not just normal lightning, but rather some kind of magical force which manifests visibly as lightning. You cannot use normal lightning to teleport. So this is clearly not normal lightning.

The fact that he defeated Voldemort through this special (and a bit crap) power is further mitigated by the fact that the rest of the story shows Harry to be a skilled and powerful wizard when it comes to conventional magic.

4. Sal Paradise

Sal Paradise Fifth Year

I skipped the first chapter, and tried again.
    It gets better, very much so.

I'll write more when I'm done reading the whole thing.

5. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Vader had built-in surge protection. 8D

6. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

So did Voldemort it's called "magical talent" I bet there were dozens of ways to counter lightning rattling in his snake head.

Also did someone compare Voldemort to Fucking Darth Vader, really, fucking heretics. I didn't see Voldemort making kids all over the world piss themselves with nothing more than a long fucking flashlight. Shut up before you get nerd-spanked

7. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What the fuck are you talking about?

You have absolutely nothing to back up the shit you are talking about, you are making it up as you go on.

Stop taking shit so mother-fucking seriously, he was joking. Not to mention, I think you pissed Vash off now, thats not gonna end well for you.

8. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

There's no way that there is a magical counter to getting struck by fucking lightning. No wizard could possibly react fast enough. Jedi maybe could, but only because they're precognitive.

Edit: You have to declare equipment at the beginning of the game! If I'd known, I wouldn't have used lightning!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  9. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Idiot. My Wizard is wearing his fucking Lightening Resistance gear. Baibai Harry Potter.

10. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

All that stuff does is stay heavy. If anything, they make you more conductive. :whipped:

11. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

This should be interesting, especially if the author remembers that Superman is vulnerable to pretty much only magic and kryptonite. From what I understand of Superman canon (not much), he tends to have trouble with magical powers. Which would make Harry his worst nightmare.

12. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

I could be wrong since it's been a while since I read that part, but I'm pretty sure it's outlined that in this particular fic universe, meteor related powers do not react well to magic, while the opposite is also true.

...so the lightning's general fuckedupedness has yet to be seen against someone like Superman. Completely boned Sandman, but Clark is a leeeeetle different.

13. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Not even the lightning. I'm talking about Harry as a wizard. HP magic makes the universe its bitch, completely subverting the laws of physics and logic. And this is why it is effective against Superman. For instance, Clark could charge as hard or as fast at Harry as he wants. Protego. Clark is fucked.

ABout the story: wandless magic is annoying as fuck though.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  14. Hasty

Hasty Fourth Year

Fics been updated. Off to read now.

15. J22

J22 Seventh Year

I gotta disagree on the protego thing. Clark's got super speed so unless Harry knows it's coming he's gonna get fucked up. Under the right circumstances Harry could own him though.
    Also: Was it just me or was the update as boring as fuck? Picked up slightly towards the end with the flashback.

16. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

This fanfic, much like Smallville itself, is a goofy yet enjoyable train wreck of a story. It may not be a work of art, but it's amusing to read and has interesting if unnecessarily angsty character interaction and lolzy power level brokenness spreading cheap laughs through the monster-of-the-week plots.

Like the Buffy story by the same author it has an almost criminally shitty first chapter/backstory but gets into its groove afterwards once it's in the Smallville setting (it makes me wonder if the author would do a better job with a BtVS/Smallville cross since those two settings both seem to come out better).

Despite a cannony recap of Season 4 Lex has been notable for his virtual absence from the story, though his various mechanations such as 33.1 are taking a more central role. Maybe he's being set up as a serious villain to team up with Scrimmy the ex-Minister.

The new purple haired OC Meteor Freak vaguely reminds me of one from early season 8 with a explodokinetic ability, and while I don't want her stealing Alicia's screen time, I guess a punk girl who blows stuff up (or blasts it to smithereens, same difference) can't be all bad.

All and all this rates a solid 3/5. Personally I think its Bin-fodder but I can see how it's a fun enough story that it managed to escape.

17. AAli

AAli High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Chapter 31 is up.

18. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

I don't know; you'd think being lightning!guy would give Harry super bitchin' reflexes or something. Maybe that's why he kicks Quidditch ass.

19. J22

J22 Seventh Year

You'd think so but he did get shot in the previous chapter. If he can't dodge a bullet he can't dodge superman. In the end I suppose it comes down to who throws the first punch.

20. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I have a feeling that this argument won't be academic with the Zod arc coming up (according to Wikipedia). That said - I'm kind of hoping that Harry stays on the periphery of General Zod and Braniac while he deals with his corporate empire. Those should primarily be Superman fights - not Harry Potter fights.