1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Strictly speaking, in this fic, Santi said that Fudge had the wards lowered. Apparation is still plausible.

So whatever to your "kind of lazy" and "canon-wise," man.

XD You're joking. Oh that's rich - especially given the huge boner that everyone seems to have over most Dresden females (I've never read the series personally).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only person besides Dumbledore that we've seen in canon do multi-object animation charms is Molly.

Granted, it's directing a bunch of kitchenware to do the cooking, but hey - nobody said it was easy.

As for Neville, he's too much of a badass to deal with some weirdcunt like Bellatrix. In case you forgot, he was too busy talking shit to Voldemort, and got his head set on fire for mouthing off - but came back with the combo-breaker by cutting off the motherfucking head of that motherfucking snake.

If I were Neville, I'd be like "Bellatrix LeWho ?"

I wouldn't. After all of the time spent in Nurmengard, Grindelwald's breath is equal in concentration and toxicity to that of a Nundu's.

Dead srs.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  2. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

Both Charity and Molly came from left field in their abilities. We had no clue or hint Charity sparred with her husband right until right before Acrtus Tor(sp?) The same with Molly, we did not know she was adept at fighting with magic until she took on Bellatrix.

3. b0b3rt

b0b3rt Backtraced

Well, we did know that she was in the OotP, and that both of her brothers were very good fighters at the very least. This implies the possibility of inheritance.

4. Shymer

Shymer Third Year

Molly got beaten by a boggart in Ootp... But it' true that the insane witch who crucioed everyone who doesn't have a dark mark is much less scary that the terrifying dark creature that near-squib Neville could destroy in his first try.

5. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Blasphemy! :deadsheep:

Are you saying this isn't a reasonable explanation? ಠ_ಠ

6. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

I think a crippling fear of seeing your loved ones dying in front of you over and over is traumatic enough to render one useless. Contrast that against seeing an insane witch almost(key word since the boggart would have already shown a dead body.) kill your daughter is enough to make a mother mad and strike out against Bellatrix.

And I honestly think seeing your family's corpses are a little harder to overcome than say an overbearing teacher.

7. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The animagus wards, yeah.

If the apparation wards had been lowered then every single prisoner could have fled the moment it happened.

8. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

First they'd have to be aware of the wars going down and have the strength to apparate.

9. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

Also, given the kind of fight they were having, you don't actually have to assume that Molly had Bellatrix's level of skill. You could say that Bellatrix would win a duel between the two of them 9 times out of 10, and it still isn't a plot hole if canon turns out to be the 1 out of 10 chance.

To use a sports analogy, Molly and Bellatrix were in "sudden death" - one successful hit meant a kill. And Bellatrix was clearly overconfident; she sat there laughing and got owned, just like Sirius sat there laughing and got owned.

10. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Why were the Animagus wards lowered? What's the point?

11. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Some kind of administrative oversight, apparently.

Or maybe the oversight was some kind of rearrangement of prisoners for the tour such that Pettigrew ended up in a cell without those protections.

12. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Is there even such a thing as an animagus ward? According to this universe:

13. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Perhaps instead of warding against animagi, there are wards that inhibit the animagus transformation? We know there are ways to force them out of the transformation, so it's not unreasonable to assume there are wards to stop them from transforming, particularly in regards to enchantment of rooms or buildings.

14. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

As far as I remember, there's no mention of possibility of preventing anyone from using magic at all in canon. And just because there's a spell to do something doesn't mean that it's possible in wards/enchantments (Patronus, Killing Curse, probably most of difficult magic).

15. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

I'm assuming Santi meant that no one can enter an area as in Animagus-form.

16. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Apparation wards stop people from apparating. There was a ward that stopped those who didn't have the dark mark in HBP. Also, there is the spell that Lupin and Sirius use to revert Pettigrew from his rat form to his human form. While we haven't seen anything that explicitly supports wards against the animagi transformation, we know there had to be some special consideration for Peter, and it was in response to his ability to transform into a rat. Unless they just stuck him in a jar with an unbreakable charm on it, and stuck that inside his cell. :awesome

That's how I read that too.

17. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Why the fuck does this shit matter so much that we spent the last what, 5-8 pages talking about it?

Seriously, if an agreement hasn't been reached in that amount of time, ya'll are never gonna agree. It's also not directly important to the story at the moment, so why don't you all just agree to disagree and stfu.

18. Ceebee

Ceebee High Inquisitor

Alright! The discussion cycle has hit the 'someone decrys everyone and receives lots of thumbs up for their post' stage. Time for a new topic.

Also, this thread is now the longest on DLP, taking over Lie I've Lived for the top spot. It also did it in a much shorter time, as Lie was active from 07-09, whereas this thread has only been around for 1 year 1 month. If that isn't an indicator that everyone posts far too much, I don't know what is.

Here's a game. Next time you post in this thread, at the bottom leave what number post it is. You can easily tell by mousing over the icon in the subforum directory.

Post #15

19. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Ellisande and Ceebee are right - let's not discuss something inspired by the story in the discussion thread.

So I was think that perhaps DLP should buy an island. Y'know, for meet-ups and such. Cave Cay, in the Bahamas, is quite a steal considering how well-developed it is.

20. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm all for discussing shit Blaise, but the topic got boring 5 pages ago, all the points being made are pretty much the same, just being made in different ways.

ANd Ceebee, I have no idea what you mean about the post numbers, on the top right is a list of what number post it is on the thread. Ie, this will be post 2440.

Not open for further replies.