1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

That was my take on it as well.

Unless it's specifically said otherwise while he's talking in Durmstrang I kind of assumed it was a German translation.

An interesting chapter for sure. It's definitely a different take on Durmstrang from what I have seen previously (not saying a whole lot tbh but you get what I mean :p ). Keep it up.

2. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It might only be the movie version but wasn't Hogwarts Staff table elevated above the House tables as well?

3. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I think so too, but after missing some words the translation charm suddenly knows the correct terminology for racial slurs? Not an issue, of course, just curious.

4. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

The fact alone that Harry doesn't understand all of German right away is to be commended. 99% of the authors would have the language spell automatically make the user understand the language completely.

Aside from what others have already mentioned, there's this:

Not sure what happened there. I'd guess it's a DLP post only matter but better be sure... Otherwise I'm satisfied completely with the update. Glad to see Harry hasn't made friends instantly, and that Durmstrang is visually unappealing inside and out. Given the attitude of the students in GoF, movie and book, I find all the description believable.

5. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

This fic is turning out to be great, seriously. Keep it up.

One small mistake I noticed though is that you wrote "heal" instead of "heel".

6. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

You used Durmstrang waaay too much in those few sentences. So far so good and you portray Durmstrang as cold and unfriendly. Good.

7. Anme

Anme Professor

Nice update. I like what I've seen so far of Durmstrang.

8. Benjin

Benjin First Year

I think Karkaroff told them of Harry being a Half-Blood in the below sentence. In the "..in Britain, and being..". Might be wrong.

EDIT: Forgot to say, I'm really liking the story, The Santi. Your characterizations are excellent.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  9. Jigokuno

Jigokuno Seventh Year

So Harry understood the translation of halfblood from another student but not the translation of halfblood from the highmaster? That doesn't make much sense. If the students were just told about him being a halfblood then either he would have understood the word or wouldn't have understood the word when the kid said the word halfblood.

I am assuming the kid said the word halfblood in German although I could be wrong.

10. tad2103

tad2103 First Year

I think that Harry understanding the student is a product of the speed of the headmaster's speech and the amount of words he is having to comprehend at once, which is noted as being the cause of Harry's difficulty with the language.

The student, likely, purposely mouthed the word slowly, as he obviously wanted Harry to know his feelings as he caught Harry's eye and then spat on the ground in disgust.

Its probable that Harry does know the German word for halfblood, just that he missed the word in the headmaster's speech because he was struggling with the amount of words he was having to translate.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  11. Jigokuno

Jigokuno Seventh Year

Ah I didn't realize the speed meant that much. That makes a bit more sense.

12. Darth Mage

Darth Mage Second Year

Awesome chapter. I'm really liking this story. I wish I had something more profound to say but I don't. Just... really good chapter! I do like how Durmstrang was portrayed. It gives you the feeling of, or want of a better term, darkness. Keep up the good work.

13. Dareycow

Dareycow Fifth Year

I wouldn't think Kark would announce Harry's blood-status here, it doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the sentence.

and his excellent academic scores, he was deemed acceptable...

He wouldn't put his blood-status as an acceptable standard. It seems more likely he was announcing Harry being the Heir to Potter here instead as an acceptable standard into a pure blood school.

14. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

I concur.

But don't worry, I'm going to get to the bottom of this and make sure it makes sense!

Howdy is on the job.

15. The Santi

The Santi Professor

You've pretty much got it right Dareycow. Karkaroff never mentions Harry's blood status, but I think it should be fairly easy for the students to figure out who Harry is:

1) Pureblood Wizarding Britain is very small and Karkaroff announced Harry was from Hogwarts. 2) The Potter name would be well known because of Nathan and Voldemort 3) Durmstrang traditionally only accepts purebloods, and the students would probably know a lot about numerous pureblood families.

@Kalas: I'm not sure if it is or not, I'll have to check that out. The point of the Durmstrang staff table being elevated above the students is to establish a sense of superiority that the Durmstrang staff has over the students. I plan on showing some other examples of how the staff at Durmstrang consider themselves more important than the general population of students.

One final thing, 'vhenever a character speeks like dis' it is someone German/Slavic/whatever speaking in English. Just assume normal text is in German unless specifically stated. It just makes the story easier to read.

16. Lukaskr

Lukaskr Fourth Year

Well, I would like to hear that too :]

17. Vorpal

Vorpal Third Year

insured -> assured

18. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

"he had answered only four of the twenty-two questions correct." - correctly, adverb.

"how specific wand movements effect charms" - affect, verb

"To stupid for the language charm" - Too

"Harry wanted snap that" - to snap

"had insured him of that" - assured

Skipping non-conjugated verbs that show unfamiliarity with the language, but in the same sentence you've used "wanting" and "gives" instead of "want" and "give".

19. Chaoticblues

Chaoticblues Professor

Gasp, an update on my birthday? You shouldn't have XD

20. Qwerty

Qwerty Second Year

Great update. All the spelling mistakes I've picked up have already been covered by wolf550e, so I'll let you be. Looking forward to more.

Not open for further replies.