1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Wizardmon0073

Wizardmon0073 Second Year

In my opinion, Viktor is better candidate for Durmstrang in TWT so far. With his sheer determination and stubbornness, athletic prowess, international fame and slowly but surely expanding knowledge of magic, he seems like better choice than powerful and intelligent but psychologically fragile Harry.

Was there any info on how many Master awards is Harry trying to obtain in his 3rd year ?
    I remember Charms+Astronomy project, project for Transfiguration and Dark Arts where he decided NOT to obtain rank of Master. I hope Harry had not reached his limit in his second year. I realize it would be very hard to surpass his discovery in Transfiguration from previous year but still...

2. Greener

Greener Sixth Year

Mind you, an underwhelming performance on his year-end projects would give him more motivation to 'prove' himself in the tournament (and to Calypso's father, if his new found aggression doesn't lead to a better project than the Patronus and his reaction negatively impacts his relationship with her).

Before this chapter came out, I had thought that this would have been Harry's primary reason for entering - a unfavourable end-year result and to prove that 2nd year wasn't a fluke. If he's successful with the ceiling, he really only has Charms in the bag... the Astronomy portion might not be enough for a M since it could be seen as just tracking the movement of the stars, despite how useful a thing it would be for Astronomy lessons/study. Someone might do something more impressive involving using astronomy for ritual/potions.

As to the rest, it's up to Santi... personally, I'd like to see Harry trying to use that golden cauldron of his for something.

3. malcolm75k

malcolm75k Squib

A few points:

Kakarov issued a punishment that was 15 lashes. If the initial statement is taken at face value, then Harry's tormentor added the mind rape of his own volition. Perhaps the oaths are against physical harm, and the use of legilimancy is excepted?

I think the reaction is not to the whipping itself, but to the mind rape. There is no telling what form of mental damage happened from the experience.

Harry is holding in his feelings with occlumency. Usually, humans suffering traumatic events vent, acting out or reaching out in some way to lessen the emotional burden to other people. By retaining this within himself, internalizing the pain, he seems to be postponing the healing, if not aggravating the damage.

Harry is not used to getting help. He has learned to be self sufficient. He will not reach out or show weakness.

There is also probably an aspect of shame and anger to it. Shame that he was so weak, anger, albeit subconscious, towards Calypso for getting them in this mess.

4. Sangreal

Sangreal Muggle

So is Harry iron, steel or Cuendillar and how long before he climbs dragonmount. Good chapter though.

5. Feanor

Feanor Third Year

[​IMG]

T3t
  6. Expelliarmus

Expelliarmus Third Year

With respect to the Triwizard Tournament, we should think about another possibility that The Santi could be used in the fic.

And if the fake Moody as well put the name of Nathan in the Goblet of Fire, also puts Harry's name? Voldemort (during possession of Quirrell) was the person who advised him to go for Harry to study at Durmstrang. Would not surprise me that you use the Triwizard Tournament to enhance the split between the Potters.

Thus, Cedric and Nathan would be Hogwarts' champions and Viktor and Harry would be Durmstrang's champions. What a picture would be. Poor Fleur. :cool:

7. Tenages

Tenages Order Member DLP Supporter

Ignoring the immense amounts of stupid vomited into the thread.

Dunno if I'm right or not, but I kinda got the impression that Calypso did know the reason for the change, but didn't want to share it with her father.

8. Böhser Onkel

Böhser Onkel Second Year DLP Supporter

^This. After I read the chapter and The Santis response, this seems like most likely explanation.

Overall great chapter. Now the obligatory MOAR!

9. Parac

Parac First Year

Can people please stop using the fucking phrase "mind rape" already? It makes me want to choke a bitch. And, as I usually lack convenient bitches when reading DLP that leaves me in a bad mood. Pretty fucking please?

I found the chapter interesting, though. The story feels like it's picking up a bit, with what the "slightly off"-ness mentioned before. Wish I could add more, but barring the somewhat slow build-up it's difficult to find things to complain about.

10. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

That made me read chapter again. Few fragments that seems off to me:

Well, isn't that interesting? What twisted happiness that was? Adding it to this:

and I have a theory. Harry pulled off Legilimency on Ivan without Dutov being even aware of it. It's possible since we know that as rare as Legilimency is, it's still much more popular than Occlumency. What is bothering Harry right now (aside of a whole torture thing, of course) is what he saw in caretaker's mind (other than his broken body).

11. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

^^Fuck off. Mind rape perfectly describes what happened, why not use it? Actually, scratch that, nobody really cares about what you'll have to say.

That being said, love that you updated, I'd forgotten how good this story is. While I do agree that over time Harry should probably loosen up a little bit (at least until the next traumatic event strikes), I don't see anything wrong with his initial reaction - the kid's 13 and just got whipped and mind raped. He's shocked and wounded enough to never want a repeat performance, and, because he's so driven and intelligent in this story (by far my favorite aspect), he believes he has the means to make that happen. So he uses them, whether he's right or not.

Fabulous work as always The Santi. Hope we get to see a little more Potter family interaction soon, that more than anything will drive home the differences in your Harry and what he's expected to be.

12. Expelliarmus

Expelliarmus Third Year

I completely agree with what he says Celestin. I reread the scene of the arrest twice, and agree perfectly with Celestin's theory. During his severe punishment, Harry was able to raise enough mental will to apply unconsciously Legilimency on Ivan.

13. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

Adding to that, what Harry could have learned from the caretaker's mind.

Perhaps he is completely justified in being so paranoid.

14. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

Interesting, I'd noticed the flash of happiness line but hadn't quite managed to put the pieces together that way!

15. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Darkest Patronus charm ever. And probably a quite powerful Trauma curse too.

Harry's got little chance of finding a stupendously happy moment to use for his Patronus charm now. So what happens if you attempt the charm with a horrific memory instead? HP might be getting that Dark Arts mastery after all.

It's a wild-ass guess, I know.

16. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Joint spell creation + dark arts project = ???

17. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

The sheer number of fanboys this story has brought to this site is appalling, well done Santi.

As for the chapter, It doesn't flow as nicely as the previous chapters, but perhaps that's because of time in between updates. To be honest, I don't really like the story, but I am curious as to how it plays out and to see how many of my predictions come true.

18. goblin

goblin Backtraced

^ Well fuck off if you don't like the story then.

19. Castiel

Castiel Headmaster

Nice first post.

20. The Silent Knight

The Silent Knight Seventh Year

:facepalm Seriously?

Not open for further replies.