1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Why would that have anything to do with you going to Albania?

2. The Santi

The Santi Professor

Holy crap, this is embarrassing.

Okay everyone, I made a BIG mistake in the last update, and I'm going to have to correct it. In the letter James sent to Harry, the part about believing that Peter is dead was not supposed to be there, nor was the part about giving Nathan a firebolt. That was how the story was going to go on my initial outline.

I've updated my outline periodically as I add or change the story's direction a bit. My chapter four looks dramatically different in my revised outline than it does in the original, so it is a little bit of a problem.

Anyway, I guess I was tabbing between multiple word documents, and I initially looked at the wrong outline when I wrote that scene. I seriously have to rename my outlines to avoid confusion (if you're wondering I have rather brilliantly labeled them 'Title' and 'Title1').

My bad everyone, and sorry if it breaks up the ambience of the story a bit. I'll make the corrections in my word doc tonight and try to upload a corrected version tomorrow.

3. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ...yeah, I thought so =P

4. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

You know I was just rereading this story when I had an epic facepalm moment. Specifically, it happened when I read the passage about keeping Calypso's last name a secret for fear of how Harry's parents might react.

Why did I facepalm you ask? Well, it occurs to me that James Potter, the friend of Black and Lupin, and Lily, the friend of Snape, might just be open minded about someone instead of judging them based on their family name. If there is an argument about anything, it will probably be about how Harry views his parents. I'm just saying if I was a parent and I found out that my son thought so little of me, I might be a little bit pissed off. I'd also want to know why I gave off such an impression so I could correct it.

She also likes dogs so you know that means at the very least Sirius will approve of her.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  5. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

You're forgetting that Calypso is a sweet little princess of the Dark Arts and that it's extremely unlikely for MaraudersTM to not find out about this. I don't think James and Lily will look too kindly on that based on past reactions to any mention of the Dark Arts.

Uhhhhh...I'll just leave this here:

6. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

She might be a princess of the Dark Arts as you put it, but Snape was creating dark spells while still at Hogwarts, and he knew more curses than most of the students when he was still Lily's friend. On some level, they have to know Harry will be completing 7 years of Dark Arts just the same as Calypso...

As for that comment on dogs, it wasn't actually meant to be taken seriously. You know that right? Sometimes, I forget that things don't translate so well over the internet.

7. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Small correction for Chapter 5: Durmstrang Spring part 2

Dark Arts

There is no "defense" class at Durmstrang.

8. Dark Raku

Dark Raku Second Year

It wasn't, trust me.

9. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

To be fair, Lily knew Snape before he was creating dark spells. Friendship tends to mean you're more likely to look past someone's habits, even if they offend you. James probably would have never given Snape the time of day if it wasn't for Lily.

The way they'd react to a complete stranger might not be the same.

But yeah, I do think they will be reasonable. But more because they're just reasonable people - and they probably know trying to act over controlling will just alienate Harry. They probably also believe in a level of freedom for their kids too.

10. CleanRag

CleanRag Professor

Snape, as a first year, was described as knowing more curses then most in their seventh year. Ignoring that, I would be disappointed if they reacted too aggressively for too long about Harry dating Calypso. One of the major premises behind the story is that Harry is loved by his parents, but still becomes a dark wizard. A betrayal in his teenage years would feel like a moral affront to a major reason I started reading this in the first place.

BTW Santi, Ivan's name was originally Yuri. From when Harry failed with the closet enchantment.

I wonder if Voldemort will even use Nathan in his resurrection this time since Nathan doesn't have the blood protection from his mothers sacrifice.

11. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    No worries. This is why you post in WBA first.

12. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I'd completely forgotten about that. Yuri's biting closet was said to have almost killed the caretaker.

If the caretaker is as skilled with legilimency as he appears to be, then he may have been aware of Harry's culpability for the biting closet incident and used this opportunity to exact revenge. It's another motive for the caretaker brutalising Harry.

Are those two names referring to the same character?

13. Dark Raku

Dark Raku Second Year

I'd be extremely surprised if they weren't.

14. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Debatable. They know Harry will learn some amount of Dark Arts, but they also expect Harry to try and distance himself from the Dark Arts as much as possible. Harry's passing mark with a Patronus Charm this year will serve to keep things under wrap for a while, but eventually Lily and James will discover the truth about Harry's knowledge.

I don't think they're going to fly into a rage about it, but they're not just going to be all "Oh Harry, we love you, how could you not trust that we would completely support you". Harry's parents have shown extreme reservations towards the Dark Arts, and when they also find out that Calypso is one of the big catalysts on Harry's path to darkness, shit is gonna hit the fan.

I might have taken it less seriously if it hadn't been preceded with some extremely optimistic declarations...but yeah, tone doesn't really work well with the internet. Emoticons help some, but they're an imperfect solution.

15. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Emoticons help...but DLPers usually resort to awesomeface or thatfuckingcat.

Upside: I realize you're joking
    Downside: I want to punch you in the fucking face - but can't. Thus moar rage.

16. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I think that Lily would be reasonable with the whole Calypso thing, but let's not forget that James and Sirius were always biased against Slytherins. So even if Lily might act accepting, I believe there still will be problems, which very well may cause a ridge between Harry and his family

17. The Santi

The Santi Professor

Shit. I'll go back and change Yuri to Ivan. I think I made a mistake for Rosemburgs first name at one point also. Damn. Thanks for the catch.

Edit: @Celestin: Yeah, that was another minor error. Its already been corrected on my word document.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  18. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

That reminds me - was Ivan making fun of a girl in a detention calling her Ms. Gabbles? Because he later call her Ms. Gomez when speaking about her to Harry.

19. vshl.prshd

vshl.prshd Squib

Excellent story so far. Although I am somewhat dissapointed in the duels. This harry strikes me a person that would have much more finesse than just shooting beams of light hoping they hit. I think he would use all types of transfiguration, charms, dark arts and use the envirnoment to his advantage, attacking his opponent from multiple directions. For example I think Harry would conjure or transfigure a menagerie of deadly animals, Animate objects, conjure and banish weapons, use some of his own enchanted objects as well as firing his standard repertoire of curses, jinxes and hexes.

20. Provis

Provis Second Year

It has been stated in the story that he does use Transfiguration and Charms in duels; it has also been stated that he is not yet able to perform advanced feats within those branches of magic in dueling situations.

Not open for further replies.