1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Heh... Considering that this Harry is going to be a 'Dumbledore-esque' wizard, it's almost guaranteed that he will kick her ass eventually. Probably right after she breaks up with Krum - he's going to be single during the Triwizard tournament, after all.

2. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

Wow, Taure. Getting kinky with your suggestions, eh?

Revelent post: I actually preferred DLP Pt. 1 to what I've seen of this so far. Maybe that's just a relative taste thing, though.

3. Scott

Scott Professor DLP Supporter

What's with the hate on Kira? I like her, Sesc said it best:

4. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't know about other people, but as a reader I identify myself with the main character of the story. Harry's dreams, aspirations, frustrations, likes and dislikes become my own. Kira's behaviour towards Harry is the kind of behaviour it is very annoying to be on the receiving end of. Thus she annoys me.

However, this is the mark of good writing. Some characters are meant to annoy you (e.g. Umbridge, Snape).

5. RedNehi

RedNehi DA Member

Why would Harry go to Hogwarts during the Triwizard Tournament? I was under the impression that only the people that were eligible (17 yrs+) were taken, though I could be misremembering.

6. Nadino

Nadino Third Year

That may be true, but I don't think Karkaroff would say "no" if Harry asked to go with the committee so he could see his brother and etc.

7. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

This. I'm not complaining about her character, since Taure is right, some characters are meant to be abrasive. The fact that she left such a bad taste in my mouth means she's playing her part, and that Santi is writing her effectively. My comment was in regards to how Harry will handle the situation.

8. Datakim

Datakim Chief Warlock

Agreed. I just hope that Harry reacts to this in a realistic manner. Harry hated Snape and Umbridge both. And yet, in this fic, after being confronted by this crazy bigoted bitch, he goes all doe-eyed about how Kira is "kind of pretty".

I have no problems with having annoying characters like Kira if Harry reacts to her as he should. In this case he should deeply dislike her for the way she is acting and respond accordingly.

My worry is that Harry will become all pussified and let Kira walk all over him just because she is Krum's GF. That would be deeply disappointing. I personally hope that Harry will utterly destroy her by beating her in everything and humiliating her totally. Essentially paying her back for her attitude and cruelty, as she deserves. Lets hope.

9. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

Also, Karkaroff might bring Harry for publicity or just as a 'fuck you' gesture to Dumbledore.

Or you could have Harry attend for security reasons; He would be safer under Karkaroff's watchful eyes than in a school bereft of it's headmaster, where the students who dislike Harry might be more aggressive in their bullying and may actually try to fuck him up good.

10. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    As I understand it, this was a rule-insert by Dumbledore (or the committee as a whole, perhaps), and not part of the actual GOF requirements. Certainly, the goblet had no problem entering Harry, and it required Dumbledore to lay down additional protections.

In short, back in the 1300s or whenever, anyone could compete. This was added in the interest of safety.

Now, there are several ways to go about this.

1) They don't add the rule this time

2) Dumbledore adds it, but it's only applicable to Hogwart students. Much in the same way that the other two schools have already chosen which candidates will be allowed consideration (due to leaving the rest of the chumps behind) this is Dumbledore's way of culling the Hogwarts herd.

3) Age line applies to all. However, Karakoff sees it more as a test - if you're not capable of defeating an age line, then you don't deserve to be in the tournament anyways. If Harry were to enter himself, then it wouldn't be held against him by his peers.

4) Harry gets entered like canon. In which case, it doesn't matter if Harry was brought along or not - he has to attend, and thus is dragged back to Hogwarts. Even if everyone knows IT'S A TRAP, they still have to enter Harry - no way is Karakoff going to be responsible for Harry becoming a squib or whatever.

11. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I was under the impression Santi was planning on advancing Harry through the classes, so by the time fourth year in cannon comes around Harry could technically be in his 7th year at Durmstrang, hence he would be able to go to Hogwarts. If he was in 7th year and wanted to enter the tournament, I am sure legally they would allow him to bypass the line. The idea behind the age line was no one would be skilled enough if they were below that age limit, whereas Harry would be.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  12. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    No, the idea behind the age line was that nobody young (not legally an adult) would get in.

It doesn't matter if the most useless wizard were capable of entering the tournament, because the Goblet wouldn't pick them (unless it did it for the lulz). The worry from the political point of view (ie. the people who brought the tournament back) is that a child would be found 'worthy' of entering, and then they would be up shit creek if a kid died at Hogwarts.

Granted, it doesn't make much sense - one minute they're looking to fire people because a hippogriff scratched a child, and the next they are pitting children against dragons. Still, the age line was there for age. Harry could be as talented as you like and he'd still be kept back by the age line - unless he finds a way to bypass it.

13. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Yeah, politically it would be a great failure.

As for the skilled enough people bypassing the age line; there of course would be skilled people below the age, it's just in general people below that age are not skilled enough to enter, so they put the age line as a safety net for the general populace. The only way Harry could be granted immunity is because he has shown he has the skills and if he was in 7th year at Durmstang. So I was thinking they could temporarily lift the line, let him enter his name, then put it back down, not actually suggesting if you have a certain skill level you could bypass it no matter your age.

It doesn't matter either way, Santi most likely has his own devious way to enter Harry (if at all).

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  14. tad2103

tad2103 First Year

Karkaroff could just put his whole delegation's (assuming Harry is with them for the TWT) in at one time, or even just Harry's name, into the goblet to get around the line. Or, even better, maybe Kira or some pissed off rival puts Harry's name in to get back at him for some reason.

Didn't Dumbledore ask Harry in canon if he"had someone else put his name in." Or was that just in the movie...I need to find my copy of GOF.

15. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Uh, Harry's not the BWL in this story. Why would he be entered?

16. Chaoticblues

Chaoticblues Professor

What he said. At this point it doesn't seem beneficial for Voldemort to put Harry into the competition. So far he seems to outshine his brother in both application and theory of magic, so if the point were to have the BWL (I forgot his name, Nathan?) touch the portkey trophy/cup then it's probably better if he didn't have too much competition. Though I guess Harry could always be mind controlled like Krum was at the last leg of the tournament.

17. Galleon

Galleon DA Member

I would hope not - if Harry is advanced as he is, I would be pissed that by the time he's 14 he can't fight off an imperio.

18. Chaoticblues

Chaoticblues Professor

I'm not really sure he would or should be able to fight off an imperio in this AU. I always got the impression that part of what made him mentally stronger was living through the abuse, loneliness and desperation of life with the Dursleys. Here he's pretty much been loved all his life, has a wonderful relationship with his brother and only in the few recent months been exposed to being an outcast at school.

Who knows though, maybe in canon Lily's protection also helped fight off imperio's, but now he doesn't even have that much going for him so unless he gets pretty hardcore with occlumency I don't really expect him to be able to shrug mind control magic off at age 14. I could be really wrong though.

19. Anstid

Anstid Fourth Year DLP Supporter

I'd actually like to read the ramifications of a bewitched Harry duelling his brother in the maze. The fact that anyone can throw off an Unforgivable, let alone a kid is fucking incredible imho.

20. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Can you imagine imperiused Dumbledore or Riddle, even at age of 14? It's how Harry is being portrayed in this story. Socially retarded, but generally a prodigy.

Not open for further replies.