1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Chereche

Chereche Squib

Has anyone beside me envisioned a tournament without Harry in it? It is almost guaranteed that Nathan will be a champion given that he mirrors canon-Harry, but, I think it would be a great twist if, despite all his efforts against it, Harry is not chosen.

Having to witness a competition where somehow he was 'outwitted' by Nathan would certainly have a profound effect on Harry, especially given how prideful he is regarding his achievements. Harry does consider himself to be his brother's intellectual superior, and so, it will irk him (an understatement) if Nathan competes.

I'm undecided as to whether he would believe that Nathan did not enter himself willingly, but either way, I do sense that it would create a wall between them with Harry being angry about his participation and seeming ineptitude in the tasks (if they are canon) while Nathan feels some resentment for him if Harry refuses to assist him if he asks for help.

2. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

^^

I think it more likely that Harry, being rational, would try to help train his brother and help him to survive if Nathan were picked and he were not. I don't really think that Harry will be resentful of Nathan if he is legitimately not chosen by the Goblet. After all, Harry knows his brother best and would understand the urgency of Nathan's situation.

3. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

I think that anger can cloud any rational thought Harry might have. He said it himself, he was constantly training, and seeing his brother become champion rather than him is sure to piss him off. I think the twins will eventually work out any miss givings, but the resentment will be there.

4. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

This is my direction of thought also.

I'm wondering if rather than excluding competition, it's because they don't want Nathan to be selected twice. Once as Hogwarts' champion, and again as the confundus champion. I'm having trouble reasoning why that'd be a big problem though.

5. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

Not so much selected twice as being entered twice. I'd imagine if Nathan enters himself before whomever creates the fourth school, then Nathan cannot be entered under that fourth school.

Since there is zero chance of Nathan being selected as the Hogwarts champion, that would ruin Voldemort's plan.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  6. false morality

false morality First Year

previous post

Someone before had stated that the second duel implied that the Dark Arts are more useful then charms and transfiguration

7. syed

syed Supermod

Grindleward mark is actually the mark of the deathly hollows, which he empowered using the Elder Wand, so I wonder if this wand is needed to break such enchantments. Is the secret to the prison and curse marks just the right tool.

8. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't think he had the Elder Wand while he was at Durmstrang - Gregorovich's memory shows a young man, but I don't think he'd have found the time to go after it while he was 16.

Edit: Right, he took over the school later. duh.

9. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

There is a a button, oddly enough labeled 'Quote', that you can use to quote other posts in your own, so that you don't sound like an idiot. Learn to use it.

Also: Holy crap, did syed just suggest something intelligent?

10. The Santi

The Santi Professor

Yeah, you're all thinking way way way too long term. Romulus has a very simple reason for wanting an age line.

I will say that you have all the information you need to put it all together. Good luck.

11. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Romulus either wants to keep somebody out or set it as a challenge for somebody. In either case, the list is short.

12. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

He doesn't want his daughter to die?

13. yak

Perhaps Romulus was just testing Harry, as he's been doing since the very beginning.

14. Necrule Paen

If it is very simple then it is just to see Harry's reaction, it has been his reason for everything else.

Now that I think of it, I doubt he gives a shit about the tournament, his daughter's safety is not a concern since he insured that she'll go, and any plotting with Voldemort is too complex for "very simple."

One thing that hasn't been talked about is how cheery Calypso is about no more marriage contract. If the reason is because she is barren, wouldn't she have at least some mixed feelings about it?

15. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

If Harry has to break the rules and go against Dumbledore to enter, it will drive Harry further away from his family and Dumbledore. That might make it easier to continue molding him into... whatever it is he's planning.

As opposed to no age limit.. which would be so much less drama.

16. elflorddobby

elflorddobby Second Year

I think he is just tesying him to see if he will get past DUMBLEDORES' age line will be quite the accomplishment for a 14 year old

17. White Rabbit

White Rabbit Hippity Hoppity DLP Supporter

He should've lost at that moment. With the wording the way it is only offensive hexes and curses, his defensive shield is a direct contradiction to those rules.

18. yak

Using insure and ensure interchangeably is one of those common errors which bug me.

Calypso talks about the marriage contract "hanging over her for years". It's likely that she resented her function as a baby incubator with legs. It coloured Calypso's relationship with her father and with any male friends she might have [eg. Harry]. It's not unlikely that Calypso had a long standing lack of fondness for her womb. Where other girls would would want to play with dolls and fantasize about becoming mothers, it would have always been a loaded experience for Calypso.

Now that Calypso is freed from being a reproduction tool to be contracted to the best suitor her father can arrange to carry on a family line, I imagine that she's feeling quite liberated. She's no longer consigned to being a brood mare.

I'd imagine that Calypso will feel more regret for her inability to be a mother in the future.

Just for the record, she did express mixed feelings when she first heard the news

I'm pretty sure that Harry passed Romulus' test - if Romulus was testing him at all - when he managed to manipulate his way onto the Durmstrang TriWizard contingent.

It's also possible that Durmstrang agreeing to the age line wasn't a test by Romulus at all. It may have been that he simply wanted to keep Harry within his sphere of influence [ie. at Durmstrang] for the year. I'm assuming here that Romulus isn't going to Scotland.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  19. Necrule Paen

Romulus was hidden under the invisibility cloak since before the meeting had started, he was either doing it to ensure (I always forget that one, don't use it very often) he gets his way, or because he wants to see what happens during the two meetings.

If he wanted Harry to stay in Durmstrang, Harry would not have gotten his way with the Highmaster.

Really I don't think it was the Highmaster's idea to get Harry to convince Krum to go. He seems like the type to expect his authority over Krum would have been enough.

20. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

Am I missing something? I thought the reason he wanted the age line is because he didn't think Harry or his daughter would be at a level where they could compete. When they agreed to the age line, it was before the duels took place and before Harry sensed him when he was invisible. Just going by his attitude in his conversation with Harry when he gave him that spell list, it didn't seem like he thought Harry was up to the task.

I do have a question though. Is Harry still practicing his animagus form? I mean Rosemburg is at the school to supervise, and if he is working with Kosarev on charms, you'd think he would also be spending some time with his Transfiguration professor. Though, I suppose they could be working on other things.

Not open for further replies.