1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyle_Dodge1

Kyle_Dodge1 DA Member

What he said ^^
    I would be rather disappointed if the main character was flawed in that way. Even if it would make perfect sense.

2. Lukaskr

Lukaskr Fourth Year

Yeah...I guess I can agree to that. He is exceptionally sharp, yet he's emotionally weak and dependent on others. To a certain degree, he sees himself, as others see him.

Still he is in first year; a lot of time to grow up. He didn't have a childhood like Riddle, who became self-centered to cope with the orphanage, and we don't really have enough information to say how Dumbledore behaved in his early youth. Though, from the clues (friendship with dragonpox fellow) we can guess he was not popular amongst his peers.

Very promising story nonetheless. 4/5

3. TSN

TSN Auror

I beleive the age line was more of an idiot trap. Bypass it and your in, fail and you're out for a laught.

Or it could be a fake, and the Weasley twins were ask by Dumbledore to shot a fake fail to keep Hogwart students on their thoes.

Sorry for my grammar, I do not have yet the hang of it completely.

4. Stormey

Stormey Groundskeeper

Why would he do that?

5. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Because he's an intelligent guy who understands people and can think of 'out of the box' solutions?

Honestly, can you think of a better deterrent than to display a person who is generally regarded as one of the most open-thinking minds failing to find a way around a defense and being bit in the ass for failing when they typically overcome just about every hurdle they approach?

Granted, it's likely that isn't the motivation behind it, but its entirely plausible. I mean, if you saw a guy reach into a box and pull out a hand with 3 less fingers, would you stick your hand in if someone told you if you made a fist, nothing would happen? Same theory.

6. Stormey

Stormey Groundskeeper

Yea, but when he can make an age line, why wont he?
    I doubt its cause he doesent know how to

7. Antivash

It doesn't mean he didn't. It just adds the possibility that he enlisted the help of two students to turn theatrics up on one of the defenses against the under-qualified.

Theatrics, after all, can turn a simple card trick into a grandiose affair. It's all in the presentation of the thing.

8. greywizard-dumblemort

greywizard-dumblemort Fourth Year

I think the age-line was just standard Dumbledore being Dumbledore. He wanted to protect his students-deter the young with more ambition than skill. The Draco Malfoys and the Ron Weasleys as well as countless others who would see an opportunity for glory not fully understanding the dangers the Tournament presented.

9. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

But they wouldn't be worthy. If you make it about age, it makes no sense. A prodigious 13 year old might last longer than a competent 17 year old, but we'd never know because of the age line. Neither Ron nor Malfoy would ever make it in, so it wouldn't be an issue.

10. greywizard-dumblemort

greywizard-dumblemort Fourth Year

People deemed 'worthy' by the Goblet have died in the past if you remember the book correctly.

As headmaster Dumbledore would know exactly what's taught at Hogwarts and at what level. I assume he'd use that to make a judgement on what year group he feels has sufficient knowledge and experience with magic to make it through the tournament safely. That line of thinking doesn't work in favour of a young prodigy but its meant to keep the majority safe even at the cost of giving a particularly gifted young magician a chance. To give one a chance and not others would be extremely problematic, hence age-line. I suppose the idea is; keep away the young glory hunters who're in over their heads yet at the same time if someone actual manages to get around the age-line they're probably talented and resourceful enough to survive the tournament anyways. I wasn't referring specifically to Ron Weasley and Draco Malfoy either, rather, I was giving examples of other young students who would be interested in the glory promised by the TWT even people with characters as different as those two (their 'ilk' if u want).

11. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I wonder why all of you assume that the age-line is foolproof. Especially when a powerful artefact, like the Goblet, is not.

12. Antivash

Because its Albums Fucking Dumbledore.

13. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

With the Elder fucking McUberstick of +5 spellcasting.

14. afrojack

I didn't say they couldn't die, I said they'd have a better chance of living.

Who cares what Dumbledore's judgement is? The Goblet is impartial. People who didn't belong in the tournament wouldn't be there, unless you were hatching an unnecessarily convoluted plot to kill Harry Potter.

15. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Or, unless you Confunded the Goblet. Unless the Confundus charm works by intent as well, I'm pretty sure a skilled student could enter their name for shits 'n giggles.

That being said, Demons and Vash said it: Dumbledore + Unbeatable Wand = unbreakable age-line, period. Any student who possibly made it past that age line should probably win the tournament by default.

16. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Yeah, because Dumbledore's protections worked so well for the stone.

17. Kthr

Kthr Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Actually, it did.

He charmed the mirror so that those who wanted to use the stone wouldn't be able to recover it. And they didn't. Harry only got the stone due his wish to keep it safe. Short of breaking the mirror and most likely destroying the stone with it, Voldermort/Quirell would rot in that room before getting it by themselves.

The rest of the protections were made by the other professors.

18. afrojack

But they wouldn't be picked, unless, of course, they were worthy anyway, or they entered under a different school. But, honestly, nobody probably would've even thought about that (because the seventh years certainly didn't), and even if they did, Dumbledore would have caught them. And if anyone who's skilled enough can simply bypass the cup by confounding it, then obviously the cup is compromised anyway and shouldn't even be in use. There goes JK again, those logical loopholes just piling up.

All I'm saying is that in a competition where the most worthy are picked, an age line is an unnecessarily arbitrary measure.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  19. Bittersweet

Bittersweet Groundskeeper

Whatever the worthiness issues might or might not be, I'm fairly sure it was just the Ministry covering their asses. They knew that the Tournament had killed a lot of kids before and they knew that they were the ones responsible for bringing it back. Can you imagine the political shitstorm created by a 13 year old dying?

Regardless of magical maturity the age line was around for mental maturity. Making sure that the contestants knew what they were getting into - people who won't put their name in on a whim, or something similar.

20. afrojack

I'm sure being worthy entails more than just magical competence, but I digress. As we've seen in canon, all Harry really has to do is have Karkaroff put him in.

Not open for further replies.