1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. jwlk

jwlk Seventh Year

Yeah, I enjoy all the discussion, helps pass the time between updates

2. se7en

se7en Professor

FF.net hasn't been updated as far as it is in the Work By Author thread. Sometimes I would like to go and backtrack to find something that I might have missed, but it is becoming difficult with the discussion.

I like the discussion and I am intrigued by what people have to say about the fic, but I don't want to go through a jumble of comments, when I would much rather just jump straight to the story and find/re-read whatever I need/missed.

3. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Are you aware that Sree offered to move the discussion to another thread, not delete it? Just like in case of Denarian series.

I think it's a great idea, it's getting tiresome to browse through few pages of discussion just to read the latest update.

4. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Search This Thread > Advanced Search > Search By User Name "The Santi" > Click Search Now

Bazinga.

5. Speakers

Speakers Backtraced

That would be great Sree but there might be less discussion as a result. Seeing as some people probably only discuss when something catches their eye as they're scrolling down a page looking for Santi's update.

6. Dark Belra

Dark Belra Minister of Magic

The Denerian series is probably the most discussed story on this site and the discussion page was seperated from the story.

Seperating pages probably won't affect a thing.

7. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Quebec is known for its assassins: Les Assassins des Fauteuils Roulants (Wheelchair Assassins). /topic

Regarding a simple fix to The Santi's problem:

Harry remembers from his failed attempt to enchant in his first year that a suitably botched enchantment can give living properties to an inanimate object (in that case, the closet). That's the "spark of life" that lets switching work now when "it's well known" that animate to inanimate switching wouldn't work otherwise. He enchants the pillow first, botching the casting deliberately as he did with the closet, and then transfigures it.

The technique was overlooked before because once people learn to enchant, they instinctively avoid mistakes of the type he made.

8. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Pretty sure that Sree is asking The Santi, not everyone else.

As for this thread, it's fucking ridiculous, I admit I haven't kept up with the latest chapters of this fic, waiting for a few more, but 1,000 posts? What the fuck is this shit?

9. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

I'll still say it's fail, because I cbf to quote something in this thread and then copy it into the other thread just because I want to point some little detail out. Keep the discussion in this thread.

Do what Blaise said. If I can do it, so can you.

Also, it's a competently written AU. Consequently, the discussion encompasses all aspects of the wizarding world.

10. CleanRag

CleanRag Professor

This has the exact same issue as the current discovery has. Even if only 5% of wizards learning to enchant screw up so that an object gains life-like attributes that is a lot of people conveniently forgetting useful information. Hell some of them would probably transfigure it just for kicks after they screwed up. Harry already transfigured the object so that it is alive what does enchanting do that transfiguration doesn't.

Also Harry's current enchanting skills include waterproofing a butter knife. That seems like a long way from intentionally playing god with inanimate objects. Anything so basic that he can enchant it would be have so much theory behind it that the question "Why hasn't anyone else done this?" would still be asked.

Great update Santi, out of curiosity what is a counter curse? I always thought it was something that canceled the effects of a spell.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  11. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

"But am I doing good enough" - well

"I suppose your right" - you're

"piece of parchment at his feat" - feet

"wanted to throw in into Calypso's face" - it

Interesting.

12. Ksai

Ksai Third Year

Lol. Now Harry will try to hire Snape to teach him Occlumency using his pocket money...

13. Juggler

Juggler Death Eater DLP Supporter

There were a few things I noticed (that wolf probably pointed out), but this was the only one worth mentioning. Jelly-Brain Jinx, at the very start? I would think that would be a curse, considering the effects it would have on a person.

I'd prefer that the threads be seperate, but it's not hard to find the chapters when just skimming through pages. I would comment just as much, because I just paste copied quotes into quick reply. I find the discussions to be fun...for the first ten posts. After that it usually treads old ground, and then I skip ahead to what is hopefully a chapter.

Wasn't this part 4 of 4, and not 3 of 3? I'm pretty sure I remember the last update being 9 and 3/4, because I debated making a King's Cross pun.

14. Torak

Torak Death Eater

A bit of a info bump there with the curse deflection Santi. Although lol @ Rosier Sr.

15. The Lord of Chaos

The Lord of Chaos Slug Club Member

Harry put his trunk down and sat on top of it. “Are you finally ready to tell me?”

16. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Must learn Occlumency? You sure you wanna go that route? There's been alot of discussion about HP making his friends learn Occlumency to entrust any of his secrets to them, which happens in LOADS of fics. And I think it's been proven that Occlumency isn't that perfect way to defend your mind from say, potions.

I couldn't but to think that forcing someone to learn Occlumency for them to get in the secret cheapens your fic.

Then again, this is Calypso's father's plan, so who knows what you actually have planned...

17. CleanRag

CleanRag Professor

Yeah it is pretty stupid when Harry forces other people to learn occlumancy. But this time it is the reverse and since we the readers don't know the 'secret' it is far more interesting.

18. All Hail Half-Bloods

All Hail Half-Bloods First Year

So Calypso has been called out on...whatever it is she is doing with her father. We stand at the doorway to the truth so to speak (hopefully we're that close). All Harry needs to do is learn Occlumency and all will be revealed, since he probably can't ask anyone at home less he face some uncomfortable questions & the Potters likely don't have an Occlumency manual lying around (if such a thing even exists), Harry will have to spend next term learning to Occlude his mind...wouldn't it be funny if he went the extra mile and learned Legilimency also.

After some more thought, does it seem to anyone else that Calypso is trying to train Harry? The idea popped into my head that as a DE, Mr. Rosier would still have the mark & might be able to deduce Voldemort is still alive. He might not want his daughter to follow in his footsteps & is investigating the Potters to figure out what is so special about them that made Voldemort want to kill a baby personally. Could calypso be pushing Harry to excel & building a relationship with him so that when the time comes (when Voldemort returns) she can go to Harry for protection? Could Mr. Rosier be trying to create a bodyguard of sorts for his daughter?

So that's my new theory on what 'the secret' is. Great conclusion to the chapter. When are we going to see some more juvenile moments from Mr. Potter? Walking in on Krum & seeing Kira in her underwear was likely his first experience with all of the wonderful parts of the female anatomy & it showed. But he also reacted to it. Like a 12 year old boy, with the blushing and the daydreaming. I would like to see more moments where Harry is acting like a young adolescent male & not a magical prodigy.

19. Sooner90

Sooner90 Groundskeeper

Yes and no. Obviously she is trying to train Harry, but not as a bodyguard, I don't think. I still think that they are trying to suss out the secrets of the Power He Knows Not, whether they know the prophecy or not.

Btw, occulmency only makes sense if their is a reasonable chance that Harry could encounter a legilimens. In the fanon cliche, it is justified because of Snape, Dumbledore and Voldemort. Are those the same concerns that Rosier has? It's fairly obvious that Calypso is a legilimens, so perhaps it is more common in this fic that generally believed. If so, occulmency is legitimate, cliche or not.

Good update.

20. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

The secret might be only an excuse to get Harry learn Occlumency, or perhaps Mr. Rosier is just playing time.

Not open for further replies.