1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. CleanRag

CleanRag Professor

At this point I doubt it. If it was marriage, Harry having to learn occlumancy would be overkill.

2. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Calypso's and her father's goals might not coincide.

She also seems to consider all Harry's female associates as threats, and while that doesn't necessarily mean that she likes him, it is certainly implied.

3. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I think her relationship with Harry is more nuanced than a mere crush. She probably has a bit of a one, but they're still too young for a serious romantic relationship, even if one were possible given the circumstances (which it isn't). Rather, her feelings are mixed with those of friendship, rivalry, and assorted professional interests, including maintaining a measure of control over Harry and experiencing disappointment when she can't mold him as she'd like. She enjoys control and is out of her element when she doesn't have it or must share attention with Viktor or others. Her presence in his life contributes to his isolation at Durmstrang, something she uses to her advantage.

In truth, the complexity of their relationship, both to Harry and the reader at this point, is refreshing and one of the reasons I enjoy this story so much.

4. CleanRag

CleanRag Professor

She probably has a crush on him. She is 13 and Harry is the only boy her age that she is friendly with.

I was speaking about all of that research pointing towards marriage. Let me clarify.

She is going to explain about the research, under an oath, when Harry learns occlumancy. Having him research and learn a painful magical art just to protect a future marriage interest seems ridiculous.

Santi could still spin it into some family marriage deal, but considering how rare occlumancy is being portrayed him learning would be more of a test to earn approval from her father rather than a necessary precaution.

5. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Snrk.

Nice chapter. I'm really looking forward to the reactions, especially Grindelwald's. I didn't think we'd get one from him.

6. Onii

Onii Slug Club Member

I'm looking forward towards the Grindelwald one too, i am sure it will be great.

7. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

This.. is brilliant, as usual. You don't cease to impress, Santi, that's for sure.

I liked the way you handled Harry's academic defeat of Grindlewald--using that as the center-piece of the Transfiguration Today article was genius.

I'm really looking forward to the scenes featuring reactions to Harry's achievements, too. Can you imagine Flitwick's response? Especially if Snape informs him that Harry's also learned Occlumency over one summer. As a 12-13 year old.

8. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

Your story really lives through the natural interactions between the characters. For example the small and simple scene between James, Harry and Nathan or how he deals
    with Snape.

>switching swells (To see the full discovery analysis, please turn to page 7).
    -> switching spells

>Well lady witches and gentlewizards,

Well, I've never seen such construct, looks even cute in a certain way but probably a bit redundant as a description.

First I thought your 1897 timeframe must have been wrong because I always had in mind that Dumbledore was 156 when he died but it seems JKR had backdated his age on wiki which shows how superficial her background story always was. Too much ghost writer influence after OOTP I suppose so she couldn't remember her later story's details:)

9. Anme

Anme Professor

I like the update although I don't really see why Calypso still gave that book which helped Harry a lot. I liked it more when Occlumency was really self taught.

Looking forward to the reactions.

10. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

Calypso sending Harry that book, if nothing else, is proof that she really wants to be able to tell Harry the truth about her research into him and his family. It's a huge gesture on her part to help him gain the knowledge he needs to protect the knowledge he wants. It's proof that she wants to share with him. That she wants to be honest.

As far as whether or not he's a "self taught" occlumens, Snape has been teaching him the whole time, anyway. The summer is half over when Harry receives the book, too, meaning he's already had time to learn the basic principles. What the book does is give him information and abstract ideas he can use to build on his already growing skill.

11. CleanRag

CleanRag Professor

I am not sure that is a word. On holiday, would work better.

This just stood out. Is gentlewizards supposed to have a space? If not you should make lady witches one word to be consistent.

Huh? Durmstrang has manila envelopes? The heart and soul of muggle school and offices and turns out Professors at Durmstrang make use of them too, I never would have guessed.

I could be wrong but I think you are supposed to type out numbers in dialogue. Either way you should at least remain consistent.

I really like how you are focusing on emotions rather than thought based occlumancy. Too many writers describe it as emotional then switch in practice to 'Stop Thinking Anything!'

I am looking forward most to Calypso and Romulus's reactions. Although with the giant tease on revealing Calypso's last name occlumancy has turned out to be; I doubt it will shed light on her secret.

Edit:
    How should be deleted.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  12. gamingguru

gamingguru Fourth Year

My babies. You will have them, yes?

13. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

Brilliant chapter. I'm really looking forward to Grindelwald's and Flitwick's reactions. I expect Flitwick to shed a few tears and Grindelwald to want to see Harry in action. Should be hilarious to read. Hoping to get the third part soon, don't disappoint!

14. gbbz

gbbz Professor

A nice update that acts as a closure for some arcs. Although up to your regular standards it is a bit disappointing (will be way, way better once you include the reactions you mentioned [Grindelwald's will be beyond cool, not matter the content]).

The only gripe I have is that Harry surpassed GG record in his 2nd year. I know it couldn't have gone any other way considering the amount of space you spent leading to that conclusion, but still it reeks a bit of !SuperHarry.

On the whole a fine new chapter to an AWESOME story. Can't wait for the rest!

Cheers!

15. zoxabels

zoxabels First Year DLP Supporter

I'm confused is there a letter and a envelope tied to the owls leg, or just a envelope?

Great update, I really like what you are doing with the occlumency!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  16. Red

Red High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Wonderful as always. The only nitpick I had was dealing with "his family won the Daily Prophet's annual 1000 Galleon draw". I thought this was way too much considering this is the same amount of money given to the Triwizard champion. Anyway, it doesn't detract from the story in any way just thought I'd point that out.

I look forward to seeing all the reactions.

17. Hoshiakari

Hoshiakari Second Year

Nathan almost died two times already but he still trusts that DD will protect him ? He is as dumb as canon Harry.
    Brilliant story and update.
    I am very curious about characters´ reactions in your interlude.

18. gamingguru

gamingguru Fourth Year

I think that's because Nathan literally is canon Harry. Despite a different upbringing, he reacts the exact same as canon Harry did in all the major conflicts.

19. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

I like the changes that you made to Peter's escape scene, the earlier explanation had been a little lacking :)

20. Datakim

Datakim Chief Warlock

Something that surprised me a bit was the fact that Harry did not even think about potentially learning legilimency given how usefull he has seen it to be and since both Dumbledore and Snape use it. To clarify, I am glad he did not actually learn it (too super-harryish to learn both fields in a single summer), but I would have expected him to ask Snape about it and have Snape decline to teach both, or atleast have Harry consider the possibility in his own mind.

One other thing that occurred to me to wonder why it is that Nathan seems to feel not a hint of jealousy over Harry. I mean I am not saying that it should be enough to disrupt their relationship or anything, but you would expect atleast a little bit of envy from Nathan considering Harry's scholarly accomplishments and the way everyone from their parents to Sirius/Remus to Dumbledore are constantly showing so much pride in him.

Interesting to have a real traitor escape this year rather than the innocent Sirius, but it will once again result in an adventure by Nathan. When is it Harry's turn?

Not open for further replies.