1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Dizstance

Dizstance Second Year

Not a criticism exactly, but personally I think the subplots with Nathan and the shit going on at Hogwarts are the least interesting parts of the fic. They seem to be sort of filler "Oh, such and such happened at Hogwarts that loosely follows the canon plot, and that's it."

I definitely don't think any sort of larger focus on the on-goings at Hogwarts, while Harry is still at Durmstrang, as some people seem to be advocating, would be at all a good idea.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  2. gbbz

gbbz Professor

I so not agree. Harry/Nathan relationship is paramount to this fic. I think it's the second most important plot line (with the mechanism of HOW Harry becomes a dark wizard taking precedence).

That the story, for the most part, follows canon is nice; Firstly we get a very believable "Harry becoming a kick-ass power house fic" and secondly Nathan draws all the distractions from being the BWL.

I agree that a greater focus on Hogwarts would destroy the premise and by it the whole point of the fic. But frankly I don't see that happening; on the contrary I think there will be even less Hogwarts in years to come.

3. Speakers

Speakers Backtraced

You mean except for fourth year with the Tri-Wizard tournament.
    Although it would be a really really cruel joke by Santi to have Harry not be part of the group that goes to Hogwarts *shudders*

4. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

Personally, I look at the things Harry knows of his brother's Hogwarts exploits as a twisted sort of parallel between canon!Harry and our very dear overachiever!Harry. It's a great way to show the growth of Santi's Harry as compared to canon!Harry, imo.

Harry's proud of Nathan's achievements but contemptuous (of the stupidity) of his methods.

5. gbbz

gbbz Professor

You know? That's not a bad idea!
    I mean it is for those 17 and above...

6. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

Covered before. The age-limit was instated only for that particular tournament. There is no actual age requirement for the tournament.

7. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

This. People really need to actually read the motherfucking thread before posting, 'cause that's how we end up with a 72 page thread that just started third year.

8. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

The point is that the age limit was a key factor in reinstating the tournament after however many years (centuries?). No matter what, Dumbledore would protest if there were no age limit. So Karkaroff has to deal with this somehow if Harry is to participate. All of this can't just be ignored.

9. Azeld

Azeld First Year

The whole age limit problem is something that can be dealt with in a single paragraph in several different ways. I dont see it being the problem that some people think it will be.

10. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Heh, it seems my vote was enough for the rating to reach 4.5 and thus a fifth star appeared. If any WIP story deserves 5 stars, it's this one, in my opinion.

Great story, the best execution of a non-Hogwarts school that I think has ever been done - though the Alexandra Quick series is also good, even if it does slip away from canon a bit more than this.

5/5 and heartily recommended to everyone.

11. Sacrosanct

Sacrosanct Auror

I've always thought that the age limit only existed in canon because Beauxbatons and Durmstrang didn't want Harry Potter and not just exlucde the younger years to participate because of some ill-conceived notion of magical superiority on Harry's part.

But now that Durmstrang has Harry and Hogwarts has Nathan then only Madame Maxime has any reason to support an age limit as Karkaroff now has an effing prodigy in his school and the Boy-Who-Lived is attending Hogwarts. That's two against one, sorry Beauxbatons.

12. CleanRag

CleanRag Professor

The age rule was present so the politicians wouldn't get crucified for setting up a tournament only to watch some cute thirteen year old girl, who never had a chance, get devoured by a dragon.

Talk about a career killer.

13. fantasyfreak

fantasyfreak Fifth Year

Yes because an attractive 17 year old girl, like Fleur, getting devoured by a dragon is so much better.

14. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

Oh FFS. This again?

15. Speakers

Speakers Backtraced

well if that is the best that Hogwarts has, there are far greater concerns

16. Garrus

Garrus Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Who cares. Santi will do what he wants to do and I'll be happy to read it. You guys are killing the story by arguing over how logical every conversation or action is. It drives me nuts reading the same people bickering about every little plot point.

I can't wait to see how the rest of the story plays out. I know some people are a bit put off by the slow development, but I'm guessing the 4th year is going to be action packed to make people forget. I rather enjoy reading about Nathan, Ron and Hermione. It provides context for what Harry is accomplishing and keeps us connected to the canon plot. Keep up the good work Santi, and try not to let all the extraneous criticisms drag you down.

17. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

If there is negotiation over the age limit, it'd be interesting to see Dumbledore's position on it, since he of all people should know that ability does not always follow age, having published several essays himself in school IIRC.

18. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

It only seems slow paced because you're reading it scene by scene, chapter by chapter. If it were all one complete, cohesive work then it would feel normal, I think.

19. Datakim

Datakim Chief Warlock

Talking of the tournament.

I wonder if the contest will be as it was in canon, or if it will be changed to be more extensive with different challenges/contests from the book. Jbern changed it in The Lie I've Lived story and I for one found the kind of extended public duels/tests with proper spectators in that story to be far more reasonable than the three measly trials we got in canon. I wonder if that would also fit better with this story due to Harry being a magical prodigy and allowing us to see him use magic more creatively in settings other than just stealing a dragon or taking a swim. That is assuming that Harry will take part ofcourse.

Lots of other things have already been changed in this story so I wonder if this one will be one, and would it be a good or bad thing if it was? Is there anything that prodigy!Harry could bring to the original three trials that we have not already seen and which would be better or more interesting than what has already been done in the books or the popular fanfics that everyone has read.

TSN
  20. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

And of course, the age line is totally retarded anyway. The Goblet of Fire is only going to pick the best of the best of the best of each school, meaning, basically, that if it picks the name of some cute 13-year-old girl, then your school sucks because all of your 17-year-olds weren't as good as her. If she's fucked, then they're doubly fucked.

---------- Post automerged at 04:56 ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 ----------

I've always had a major problem with the original TWT tasks. There was nothing in any of those that really tested you as a WIZARD - certainly nothing that a muggle couldn't have overcome with some fairly basic technology.

Testing bravery, cunning, what not is fine and all, but certainly nothing that sets a wizard above other wizards.

In other words, I'd rather like to see the Santi change the tournament to better reflect things that set wizards above other wizards, rather than mere humans above other humans.

---------- Post automerged at 05:10 ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 ----------

If the Santi was just going to do what he wanted to do, he wouldn't bother posting it here in WbA; he'd post it directly to ff.nazi or some other archive and fuck you very much if you didn't like it.

I imagine that since the Santi wishes his story to be the best it can be, he posts it here in WbA. I've said it before: amidst all the calls that he should have just let a certain scene stand, the Santi himself said he didn't like it, wanted to change it, and ended up essentially using Pers's suggestion.

Not open for further replies.