1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Noitanigami

Noitanigami Squib

Snape said that the first touches of legitimacy would happen as accidental magic. It seems plausible to me that Harry might have picked up on Ron's intent to attack, misinterpreted it as an actual attack, and thought he was legitimately retaliating and not initiating. This would have the effects of displaying how passive legitimacy works, allowing everyone to see him as the aggressor, and to keep Harry thinking that he was in the moral position. Just a thought.

2. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

The Santi has stated that accidental leglimens episodes will not occur until Harry is back in Durmstrang.

So no, that is not what happened.

3. Datakim

Datakim Chief Warlock

I dunno, Dumbledore uses Occlumency and while he is pretty calm and controlled, I would not call him cold or detached. Snape too shows emotions, sometimes significantly so. I could certainly see significant mental practise giving greater self-control, but surely it does not erase your emotions but rather just makes you more self-aware of when you are about to lose it and act foolishly and impulsively like Harry did here.

Oh, that reminds me. It occurred to me that in this fic Snape is actually somewhat likable in his role as Harry's semi-mentor and teacher. Normally I dislike fics where Snape starts teaching Harry or they become in any way close, but in this fic I have had no problems with Harry being respectfull of Snape or Snape guiding Harry about Occlumency or spell chains or whatnot. Was it intentional for us to see Snape through the lens of genius!Harry and as such in a more positive light, or am I just imagining things? Given how much Nathan/Ron dislike Snape, I could see an amicable working relationship between Harry and Snape being yet another wedge driven between brothers, especially during the tournament when Harry will be at Hogwarts where Snape would presumably be mostly polite to Harry but still a dick to Nathan.

4. silentclock

silentclock Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

From the beginning to where the story stands now, you've done an excellent job. I really enjoy your characterization of Harry as intelligent but still malleable, and you've created some of the most compelling OCs in the fandom. I've never seen another story that takes place in a different school that actually manages to bring the school to life- which is exactly what you've done with Durmstrang. Fantastic AU, and my favorite WIP.

5/5

5. Synchro

Synchro High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Superb, as it has been throughout. The careful way in which you are building up the growing disparity between Harry and his family while at the same time keeping him in character (for a 13 year old boy who is aware of his genius) with a well-meaning but arrogant portrayal is particularly enjoyable.

I didn't find anything amiss with Harry's cursing of Ron. Infact, his reaction seemed more in the vein of a Black/Malfoy cursing a disobedient servant, when repeatedly disturbed/disobeyed in the midst of an important meeting. Certainly, Ron doesn't seem to figure any higher than a bug in Harry's eyes and I don't find this to be out of character for Harry.

Very enjoyable. Great work, Santi.

6. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I was thinking about what someone said about Kira's role or lack of it in Victor's life by the time of Triwizard Tournament. If they will stay together, it would be interesting to see the moment where Harry's presence changed outcome of the situation that in normal timeline (as in theoretically canon timeline) was reason of their break up.

I agree. Having to stay in his room for a rest of the summer wasn't really a punishment for Harry.

7. Equinox

Equinox Seventh Year

From what I understand James wasn't that inclined to punish Harry, though Lily was. It could have merely been a way to punish him without punishing him. Or it could just be being read into too much and wasn't something Santi gave particular thought to.

8. Deliste

Deliste First Year

I could be wrong but it seems that taking any wizards wand is a very strong message, even if he is their child it's not just a possession to be taken, in a way it's a part of him and unless he was an immediate threat it would do nothing but create distance and resentment.

9. White Rabbit

White Rabbit Hippity Hoppity DLP Supporter

Did Durmstrang even have girls at the Triwizard Tournament, canonically? All I remember is seeing mention about Viktor and other males. Plus the movies had one large sausagefest going on.

So that's an easy way of sitting Kira out of a school year, I guess. Though that would also mean no Calypso, so...

10. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Now it's harder to follow and I'll most likely ignore the discussion thread, like I did with Shezza's stuff. But other than that, it's fine.

11. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Movie-verse fails hard:

12. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I was going to say that I at least recall one Durmstrang girl mentioned.

iirc correctly, however, Blaise, by that point in time the Durmstrang students were sitting at the Slytherin table (Beauxbatons at the Ravenclaw table). So it COULD be interpreted that Poliakoff was nudging a Slytherin girl and pointing. Perhaps as though to imply "Is that really Harry Potter?" Without resorting to his poor engrish skills.

But Beauxbatons, at least, brought both genders; its not a stretch to assume Durmstrang would, too - though I could see them being sexist, so maybe only a few girls. As I believe was previously mentioned, it would make sense to bring whoever could help the champion the most; if Kira is the best Spell Creation student at the school by the time the Tournament rolls around (not a stretch, in my own opinion), then it would make sense for her to represent the school.

13. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

14. Sirius Issues

Sirius Issues First Year

Anna Paquin look a like, or it is infact her, and Frank is a very lucky person.

15. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Yep, it's Anna Paquin :)

16. oephyx

oephyx Headmaster DLP Supporter

You look 45 in that picture.

17. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This story is awesome. I just sat down to read the latest updates (ch. 8/9/10). Not only am I looking forward to chapter 11, but I'm also looking forward to that promised interlude (which is a first for me).

5/5

18. cataclysim

cataclysim Second Year

Great update Santi, looking forward to Harry's third year. I think you said that he would become an animagi in it so that would be great. Fourth year should be awesome.
    Keep up the good work

19. The Santi

The Santi Professor

Okay, after seeing several reviews point out some errors that were also mentioned in WbA, I realized I updated chapter 9 with an older edition. I had to do a system restore about a week ago to get rid of a virus, and while I saved my updated story files on a flash drive, I just picked the wrong chapter 9.

Ill update the correct chapter when I get back to my computer.

20. Naja

Naja Fourth Year

Santi, I was reading through chapter nine on fanfiction.net and noticed that you repeated some of the lines with the polyjuice potion in the first paragraphs and later on in "Harry's Room, feb first."

Not open for further replies.