1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. A Curious Stranger

A Curious Stranger Second Year

I know I'm making a faux pas here by making this my first post, but I have to get this out. I can't help but to see some interesting parallels down the line. Nathan and Dumbledore grow closer as mentor and student while Harry drifts further down and possibly establishes some form of correspondence with Grindelwald for the sake of knowledge.

Each twin taking their own paths and perhaps recreating history?

2. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Seventh Year DLP Supporter

One problem with that is the fact that a) Nathan is too unmotivated at this stage to be anything like Dumbledore and b) One of Harry's closest friends has a significant and personal hatred for Grindelwald. I doubt Harry would open correspondence (if Grindelwald is even allowed mail) and risk alienating one of his first friends. I see what you're getting at, however, and there are parallels. On the other hand, I could easily see Dumbledore attempting to forge a closer relationship with Harry if for no other reason then to keep him off the road to attempted world domination. They do, after all, have a good deal in common.

3. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Dumbledore suprise gobsmacked Grindelwald. And by gobsmacked, I mean he jammed his tongue down Grindelwald's throat.

4. gbbz

gbbz Professor

That's just evil and surprisingly believable.

5. Inert

Inert Headmaster

Unfortunately. Fuck JKR for making Dumbles gay.

Aside from the awesome Grindelwald scene, I thought the Calypso scene was pretty damn good. Some nice building on her character, and the ambiguity of what her father saw in her mind was pleasantly frustrating.

Personally, I thought the Snape scene was a little weak. All it really did was show Flitwick angsting over having lost a brilliant student. Nothing special, though Snape investigating Calypso sets up some nice future tension between Harry and his family when they finally realize who she is.

Does anyone else think that Santi's update time might be slowed because he has to read all of these comments? Just a thought.

6. White Rabbit

White Rabbit Hippity Hoppity DLP Supporter

Fix'd it for you.

Oz
  7. Docker

Docker Third Year

Grindelwald could become a very interesting character in this story, maybe not as a main character- but as a very important person who effects Harry’s path in life.
    Remember the debate from a few pages ago? The Philosophy behind dark magic? For the greater good? There is no good or evil, only power and those too weak to seek it? Grindelwald might not be able to teach him powerful dark magic, but he could push him towards his old goals and ideals or something along those lines. A lot like Voledmort started to do in Harry's first term at Hogwarts during the private training.
    I could see Grindelwald becoming very interested in Harry- using him as a second chance to push his message onto the world. But if Grindelwald does gain contact with Harry, how will that effect Harry's relationship with Krum?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  8. EinStern

EinStern Seventh Year

Well, yeah, that was pretty much what I was thinking, as disgusting as that is (to me, anyway).

Well, yeah, maybe. I think I've spotted him reading this thread a couple of times in the "Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread" thing, at least.

9. jpdt19

jpdt19 Fourth Year DLP Supporter

Oooohhh creepy :D

Very VERY nice Santi. It's interesting to see Grindlewald. To my knowledge i know of only two other fics which use him as a character, and it's a pleasure to see a third added to that number. Not only that, but a third which does it with such style.

I'm only sad that this is merely an interlude, and i presume it is unlikely therefore that Grindlewald will feature much more if at all in this story.

Keep up the good work sir!

10. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

The Grindelwald scene was amazing. It'll be a damn shame if Grindelwaldn never shows up again; hopefully he has a role to play in the future.

11. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Two people replied the WbA thread instead of the discussion thread. Who is a mod who can move their posts and chastise them?

12. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

13. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Not really. The time you spend reading comments is not the time in which you'd write; and anyway, reading takes a few minutes, so if that was a reason, you wouldn't notice the delay.

And if you meant that the posts and ideas possibly fuck up his plot and therefore slow him down, that is quite unlikely either, since Santi works with an outline, and I know from myself that speculative comments hardly have an impact on what I want to write.

You mean, as opposed to a bald, noseless old geezer?

14. Sacrosanct

Sacrosanct Auror

^ That's probably why Grindelwald lost to Dumbles. He was giving up a valuable weapon. At least Voldie picked up on it.

[​IMG]

Besides that, best Grindelwald I have ever come across. And yes that includes kmfrank's.

I'm glad that we have a bit of suspense with the whole Snape and Calypso thing. Adds a new dimension to the upcoming year. I think that is one of the reasons why this fic is just that next step up, i.e it isn't episodical at all and the years just flow into one another at a comfortable pace.

I'll be interested to find out if Dumbledore & Co find out about Calypso before 4th year. And if they don't will Harry and Cal try to hide it still or will they just come out with it? Considering how hard it would be to disguise their friendship during the Triwizard Tournament it I doubt they'd be able to pull it off.

15. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Grindelwald, being the elitist bastard he is, undoubtedly assumed that the prison would be staffed by competent wizards.

16. Juggler

Juggler Death Eater DLP Supporter

His update rate got faster. The last two before this one were 15 days apart, but this one is like 11-12 days.

17. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I demand someone makes a one-shot about this. It has epic lulz potential.

18. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I'm sure if you look hard enough on ff.net you will find fics with this scene. Of course it will probably be slash AU where Dumbledore managed to bring Gellert back to good side with power of love, but it can still be read as lulz idea.

More on the topic - since Harry is starting his 3rd year, going by how long it took us to get there, I'd say we will see legendary 4th year where all real action begins in about six months. And then Santi will troll us all, Harry will not be in Hogwarts or have any adventure that year and real, real action will start in 5th year after Voldermort's return. So it's another year before something really happens in this story ;) .

19. Antix_Shadows

Antix_Shadows First Year

I know it's a ways off to speculate about, but just cant help asking this. Besides myself, has anyone else speculated that Harry will get angry in the fourth year if Dumbledore keeps the 'age line' up again? Considering he's be even more of a badass at practical magic? I can imagine him getting his hopes up to put all the other students who spurned him to shame, only to be brought down by the age line. Any thoughts on that matter anyone?

20. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

There's no way anyone here would believe that Harry could be stopped by such a trivial measure.

Not open for further replies.