1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and The Dark Knight by Denial and Deception - M

Discussion in 'Dark Arts' started by The Mysterious Nobody, Aug 26, 2008.

1. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

Too early to tell. Since it's Batman season, it catches the fancy but it'll depend on the emerging plot. Otherwise, a couple of highlights are the "No such thing as magic" line and owning Skeeter.

Which surprisingly, I've not seen until that moment. Kind of weird. You'd expect more people to dispose of that cunt that way.

2. Jenkins

Jenkins Forum Bike DLP Supporter

I thought it was pretty good. Like Bio says, a little to early to get a proper read on it but it does seem good. The writing flows well, characters are pretty good, though the huge amount of crying and such is reminiscent of all the other Azkaban!Harry stories once he gets out.

I personally like the way the author has given Malfoy the Harvey Dent role, it seems to suit him. And the Weasley twins should shape up to be epic.

4/5 for now, but I'm really wary of this goes. If it turns into an outright TDK script copy I think it will suck.

3. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Holy shit, there's potential here.

He lifted his darkened-gloved hand and began writing on the glass…the writing appeared in red…blood red…Ripper’s blood…

There’s…no…such…thing…as…magic…

As the finger curled around the final “c”, the dark figure, who had been cocked to the side as if taking everything in out of curiosity, suddenly stood tall. The glass door exploded…The three Dursleys saw nothing but blackness…

That's the most vivid god damn thing I've ever read in fanfiction, and fiction in general really.

Save a few grammatical/spelling blunders, this is awesome. 4/5 until there's more to bump it up into full marks. It could all fall apart with Neville, me thinks, but Harry = Joker transition was spectacular.

Library this son of a bitch now!

~Joeker.... (get it?)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  4. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    As always, I was more than a tad apphrensive about reading a crossover, and Batman no less. But still, in my boredom, I decided to give it a try, only if to see why does it have such a high rating.

I was most pleasantly shocked.

I enjoyed this fic alot - insane and crazy are always my favourites. I guess Joker isn't that bad of a character, and there's really no other crossover crap. Very well, enjoyably written. I'm definitely keeping tabs on this one.

4.5/5

5. roaroa

roaroa Muggle

this is a awesome fic. 4.5 from me.

6. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

Like many others, I enjoyed the "no such thing as magic" line, and found the story as a whole to be rather well done. For some reason I also enjoyed the fact they did use veritaserum. I've always hated the "Hey, let's send the prophesized hero to Azkaban without making doubly sure he's actually guilty."

I'll give this a 4/5, it has the potential to go either up or down depending on whether or not this becomes a copy of TDK's script or if he takes it in his own direction. He must, however, say "Why so Sirius?" at one point or another.

7. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

There are so few writers in the world that can pull off a proper psychosis/insanity. This is one of them. 5/5 from me.

8. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've actually seen a few HP/DK crossovers already, but this blows them all out of the water. You've got to look forward to how everyone else is going to react to an insane!evil!Harry and it has some serious potential. 4.5/5

9. Dethklok

Dethklok Order Member

The power of Christ compels him not to tell you.
    Neville most likely is the Batman in this. Think about it. Goes away for 7 years, is publicly a playboy and a loser, classic Bruce Wayne.

Myself, I like the dichotomy in this. The Joker in this is a monster the Wizarding public created. Joker!Harry on the loose is going to rip their world apart.

The twins in this seem to be heading down a dark path, and I'm fine with that. Harry's second and third in command, or loyal henchmen. The Weasleys basically turned on Harry, as did the world. Somebody needs to burn for that.

And the idea of Draco as the White Knight turned all around works even better in this. Turning Draco back to the dark side adds an element of escapism or lack or escapism that is touching. Draco can't escape the darkness and fury of the Malfoy heritage. He tried to be on the straight and narrow, but he was only fooling himself.

And Dumbledore needs to die. having known about the connection between Voldemort and Harry, it took the old bastard 12 years to even entertain the possibility that Voldemort took control of the driver's seat at the right moment? The old man needs some Joker gas to the face.

TO-THE-FACE!

10. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

It didn't take him 12 years to contemplate it, it took them 12 years to find proof that Harry didn't do it.
    Dumbledore probably realized it fairly quickly, but they won't just let HP loose 'cause Dumbledore said it wasn't him...

Anyway, everyone else has said everything. I'll just give it a 5/5. :)

11. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

That's a bit deep, Dethklok :p.

The only thing annoying me is there is no large city like Gotham to go rampaging through - the locales are limited to very few spots: Diagon Alley, the Ministry, Hogsmeade and the Hogwarts Castle.

Maybe if he blew up Gringotts or something DX.

12. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Eh, it never said that he was just targeting wizards. I would assume so, but there's always the chance that he'll be raging through London.

Which would be cool. Or at least cooler than staying in Diagon Ally

13. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

The thing that bothers me most is that everyone is still going to be thinking of him as Harry Potter. One of the best things about the joker was that he was just the Joker. He had no past, no connections. Harry doesn't have that.

14. White Rabbit

White Rabbit Hippity Hoppity DLP Supporter

That's assuming that he goes to the press conference. As of right now only a select few know that Harry Potter has gone batshit insane.

15. Ryzen

Ryzen Second Year

I've already seen a couple of HP/DK crossovers, but this by far, is the best one (as of right now)

There are minor problems I have with this fic, but nothing that could have been avoided with a crossover like this.

4/5, better than average but not amazing.

16. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm beginning to think Joker!Harry is my new favourite genre. There's just something highly amusing about the way the Joker works that it translates really well into this Harry. Of course the author's going to try and bring in every Joker quote he can get his hands on, but I'm' sure we can forgive him that, in light of how awesome this story is looking at the minute.

5/5 for me.

17. The DarIm

The DarIm Groundskeeper

This was pretty good. Hell, compared to all other DK crossovers out there, this one ruled.

Tentative 4/5 for now, only because I want to see how a magical Batman operates.

By the way, if any of you follow BtVS fanfiction, go check TheLaughingMan's Xander=Joker work on tthfanfic.com

18. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Very well written. The constant waterworks are a little over the top. Well more like the frequency of them is over the top; kinda loses the affect of making you feel how horribly they felt. Other than that it was thoroughly depressing. I liked what he did with Petunia though.

Somehow I hate Draco/Ginny much more than Harry/Ginny. See I figure she deserves to just wait for Harry in unrequited love till she's a cat lady or something.

I hope Joker!Harry destroys this perfect lily white Draco Malfoy -yuk.

4/5 because I guess I feel like its a supplant than really Harry. I suppose that's the point. Holding off on thread rating for a bit. Quality of writing is great though.

19. LuxDragon

LuxDragon Fourth Year

The funny bit for the Draco/Ginny was during the dinner. "Don't leave me!"

20. PhantasmagoricBlade

PhantasmagoricBlade Backtraced

Saldaea, bitches! Got to love them Saldaean farmg
    I agree with Wash, the quality and innovation of the fic makes it rather addictive. I find the fic as a whole rather amusing and very interesting as a read.

Now, I suppose I have to add my little criticisms and suggestions that won't leave me alone...

You have to be careful not to just be inserting Joker into Harry. As in, it's just the Joker in HPland. There has to be elements of Harry in the plot and such. The way you almost completely made Harry the Joker with the look thing kind of bothered me.

Instead of the fake 'smile' scars, you could have different scars, on a parallel, so to speak. A metaphor for the Joker's face scars, like...fuck, I don't know, a demented smiley face or something. Or a tattoo of an insane clown on his back.

Where exactly would Harry learn Fiendfyre? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that sort of rare and coveted? Other wise, any old shmoe could save a bitchload of money on his candles and wall-torches and such simply by waving his wand once.

Other than that, you've pulled it off masterfully. For a second I was a bit afraid you were just going to jam as many movie quotes as you could into there, but my fears were allieved by the Dursley scene. You created your own crime, without stealing anything from the Joker crimes in Dark Knight.

The Neville = Batman thing has me a little worried, along with the Malfoy = Harvey. What's going to be the Wizarding equivalent of Batman? Like...Dementor-man? Boggart-man?(Forgive the terrible name, but I hope you can see to the point).

The Batman's a symbol because he represents justice and at the same time, fear. Considering we have 'Bat-Bogey Hexes', I'm fairly sure the Wizarding World could take bats in stride. You would probably do best picking something all the magical world holds in fear or hate...so V-Man(Lol).

Malfoy as Harvey only bothers me because he's a arrogant little snot who doesn't deserve the awesome-ness that is two-Face. I think Remus or Sirius would have been a better choice. Sirius in particular. Redeemed criminal, godfather of the Boy-Who-Lived, eh? Anyone?

Well, this post is getting far too long. 4/5, only because I'm secretly trying to manipulate you into updating faster to work for that extra point. Keep doing what you're doing.