1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Greater Good by Blank402 - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Dark-Stallion, Jul 5, 2010.

1. RM.

RM. First Year

After a little bit of thinking, I'm starting to suspect that either Dumbledore or Riddle set up this plan. And, again, that Remus wasn't as entirely unwilling as Harry hopes.

2. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I'd hoped that Hermione really died, but maybe she'll be killed when she gets even more annoying.

3. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Godfuck, I'm annoyed. Why can't the story have a different Harry as a protagonist :/

There are moments when he shows so much promise, but it's like it's all buried under a mountain of wimpy, pathetic, stupid behaviour. It's fine as a starting point, but Harry isn't growing. If anything, he's even further regressing. He still has nightmares about Grindelwald. On the staircase, he actually passed out. And to top it all, he now blames himself for Hermione getting mauled -- after not being able to hold his own against her, while she sprouted the most retarded reasoning of why someone was to be blamed for something that I have read.

ARRRRRRGH

Together with that, he's more retarded than Canon!Harry ever was. Barging in on Snape's lessons to accuse him? Yeah, great move, buddy. It's as if he has lost his brain. There wasn't a single thought between "Wolfsbane" and "Snape". This is seriously worse than in Canon. I was actually cheering for Snape at the end, who was so fucking spot on.

This is not something that I usually like to do.

Well, I hope Hermione is a Werewolf and gets thrown out of Hogwarts in the most degrading way, but at this point, even that isn't fun anymore :(

Harry, as it is now, just kills all fun there is. I hope he goes back to Lily, feels safe and happy in her arms and helps her making dinner or something, while the story continues at Hogwarts about Headmaster Riddle and the Empire.

But of course I won't get my wish, and instead, Harry now will see the errors in his ways, break with Ron, and become best friends with Hermione who accepts his apology for doing nothing graciously after he said he was sorry for a month every day.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  4. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

An 11-year-old passing out because of seeing one of his classmates being mauled to death (as far as he knew)? That's totally believable. I agree on the other points, though.

5. Sesc

Yeah, that's the thing, KrzaQ -- I'd even say, Harry's entire character is believable. He has lived his entire live wrapped in cotton wool, sheltered from everything, basically tied to Lily's apron strings, only knowing his parents and nothing at all about the world outside. He can turn out this way. The author did a great job at that.

So the problem isn't believability. And the passing out isn't really important anyway, it's just that it highlights the problem: It wouldn't have been unbelievable if an eleven year old boy didn't pass out. It's a question of the character. And I care to read about that kind, and not so much about this Harry's one, at least as long as it isn't used as a device to have a great character development :(

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  6. arkeus

arkeus Seventh Year

Actually, yes, it would have been unbelievable to have a 11 not go into shock at least at seeing a classfriend of his being mauled to death when they were both trying to escape a werewolf.

Especially as Harry only fainted once he was 'safe'.

Honestly, this Harry has much more balls than in Canon, and is more intelligent too- the problem i guess lies in him being torn between the predominent Culture, his instincts, and his Family.

If Harry wasn't as strong as he was, there would be not question and he would be 'Tougher', as he wouldn't try to think at all and never doubts himself. He just is too young to truly decide what he wants to believe.

And, yeah, i agree that there is something deeper about what happened to Remus, though i don't think someone like Umbridge could have orchestrated Hermione and Harry going to his office like that.

7. RM.

RM. First Year

I'm wondering if anything was really "orchestrated," though, at least so far as "Lupin mauling a schoolkid" goes. Rather, I'm thinking that either Riddle or Dumbledore had a plot which, with Lupin's agreement, involved Lupin not being entirely dosed on his wolfsbane potion, and it just so happened that Harry and Hermione came 'round and completely messed everything up by interrupting things.

8. Sesc

Actually, no, it wouldn't.

And I wouldn't like to read your version of Canon, since in mine, Harry, while dumb often enough, at least never barged into Snape's class to sprout his nonsense (he talked about his "it was Snape!"-theories only with his friends); and he managed at least sometimes to tell Hermione to stfu, as opposed to never here.

And that makes no sense.

9. arkeus

arkeus Seventh Year

That wasn't him having more balls in Canon, but him being less psychotic and changed by dark arts and the culture (do remember exactly that you *liked* Harry using the Dark Arts on Snape, and using him as a mental prop. There is a reason why Harry is so ready to attakc him).

Also, Harry sort of did that to Draco a few times, and for a lot of purposes Snape replaces Draco in this fic.

Good thing that Hermione's complaint about Harry is justly that he is indecisive.

And Harry telling Hermione to STFU? it was often enough him being even stupider than you accuse him of being there, and him hiding his weakness...

How so? It's obvious the weaker you are, the less you actually try to think about things that could threaten you, and the less chance you can be indecisive in your trek to know who you are.

10. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Could you translate for those of us not telepathically linked to your brainstem?

11. Sesc

Okay, I'll bite. Arkeus, your English isn't too bad, but every other sentence, you throw in words that grammatically and logically make no sense, and leave us to guess what you possibly could have meant.

Works fine.

What? "not question"? Grammatically correct could be, "no questions", which would give me,

-- which still makes no goddamn sense, logically. What questions? Questions by whom? What are you talking about, man?

I see words but there is no meaning.

You just created a perfect oxymoron in your statement:

I think(?) that now comes the part where you try to explain your oxymoron, since you indicate a reason -- "as". The problem is, I don't see how what you write then connects to your exposition before.

I can read that. It looks like English, and still ... The fact that Harry "wouldn't think at all" and that he "would never doubt himself" is an indication for ... him being 'Tougher', which, in turn, would come about if he wasn't as strong as he was?

Am I missing something? Here is the most basic structure of your sentence:

In which language does that even make sense. It looks like random words a computer added together -- grammatically correct, but utterly meaningless. At least, you add another sentence -- "He just is too young to truly decide what he wants to believe." -- which works perfectly fine.

Of course, it's in no way connected to what you wrote before, but at least I understand what you're saying and agree. Kinda.

I could go on and on in your new post -- "mental prop" (what?), "Harry sort of did that" (Harry sort of did what?), "it was often enough" (It?), and the killer, the "trek to know who you are" -- but I'll leave it at that.

Not trying to be mean, since I know (I think?) we have different opinions regarding this story, but it's fucking impossible to argue them, if I have no bloody clue what you are trying to argue.

I just never know if I understood you right. For example, in your latest post, it seemed like you were trying to flip around the issue and make me accept that the Dark Magic is the reason Harry is a retard. That's stupid, of course, but perhaps you meant something else.

Perhaps you meant some chinese words of wisdom -- "My strengths are my weaknesses, and in being weak, I am strong" -- which sounds cool, bro, but I don't know if you said that, do I?

12. IBG

IBG Seventh Year

I think he means that if Harry was weak, he wouldn't question the Empire's thinking at all and just accept that muggles are worthless. It seems rather irrelevant given that the original discussion was about Harry's stupidity in confronting Snape - at the very least he should of gone to Mcgonagall or someone, his cowardice in being unable to get over his nightmares and his .. idiocy? in assuming blame for Hermione getting bitten.

Also Harry questioning the empire's thinking isn't a product of strength, its a product of his muggleborn mother trying extremely hard to point out the unjust treatment of muggles. The fact that his minimal contact with the outside world still leaves him thinking more along the empire's side if anything makes him weaker than Ron and Malfoy in my eyes.

And sure, it's all believable for an 11 year old, but its about as interesting as canon would be from Neville's POV.

13. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    True, Harry's not the most exciting protagonist at this stage, but there's (presumably) a way to go yet. Barging in on Snape was retarded, yes, but other than that I have no real complaints about his character. I'll be interested to see where this goes - I'd assumed that Harry and Hermione would eventually overcome their differences and BFF's, or start going out, but if she's a werewolf because of him...

14. arkeus

arkeus Seventh Year

Yes, yes he should have.

But it's in continuance with his stupidity when he cursed Snape earlier on. I just think the hints are piling up that he does everything on impulse around Snape (Harry being influenced by the dark spell he cast with Snape in his mind).

You could say he is a coward for not wanting to talk about his nightmares (though that is more of a product of society, being young and not wanting to admit you have feelings), but nightmares *aren't* something you can get over by sheer will.

He just woke up, and his PoV is slightly skewed- he could either attribute all the blame upon Hermione (she decided to go to Lupin, and then decided to help him go to Mcgonagall), or admit that it was partly his fault, which, when just after a traumatic event like this, usually go too far at the beginning.

Human nature and all that.

Maybe you forgot the little bit about AD being a neighbor who was careful in discrediting Harry's mother?

The beginning pretty much shown that Harry preferred AD to his parents (cooler and stronger, give the gifts he wants, etc).

In fact, it's hinted Lily never talked about politics in front of Harry because he talks to AD too much.

Edit: btw, this view about Harry being worse than Draco/Ron because of this is what Hermione seems to believe.

Anything *else* would be worse. Harry in Canon is much, much worse most of the time.

This Harry has balls, though he is pretty indecisive and brainwashed by AD.

He also seems to be lacking friends of his age like in Canon, and that means he does too much for Ron/Draco.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  15. IBG

IBG Seventh Year

Its not the same as cursing Snape. Cursing Snape is like punching someone or telling them to shut the fuck up after silently enduring their taunts for a while before snapping. When he confronts Snape he has to run across the castle, which I'd assume to take 10 - 15min atleast where he should have come to his senses. I also see the impulsiveness the author is creating between Harry and Snape but the only way it would be believable for me is if the scene was set so he realised his blame for Snape during his potions class or while Snape was in the room.

I didn't forget the part about AD, but Harry has surely spent a lot more time with his family than AD. I honestly don't think its a big step for an 11 year old to realise muggles are humans and have feelings and rights too. I already said its still believable that they won't, but I prefer to read about a strong, intelligent Harry rather than an average one.

About him taking blame for Hermione being bitten. 11 year olds tend to try and shift blame from themselves generally, so its extremely unbelievable and annoying in the story for me.

As for the nightmares, I don't really care either way. They are relatively minor compared to the other stuff and in fact should probably be there. However when they are combined with everything else about Harry's character in this story it seems like wherever the author has a chance to create a stronger or more intelligent Harry he instead chooses the path of extreme faggotry.

Lily, Hermione, Riddle etc are by far more interesting characters than Harry is and I don't like that.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  16. Blank402

Blank402 Second Year

Just thought I'd bump this thread since I'm updating again.

Interested in hearing what you guys thought of the newest chapter.

17. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

After your post in the Abandoned Fics thread, I'd re-read all of the previous chapters last night - and discovered you'd updated today. Le Joy!

That said, while I enjoyed this latest chapter, I hadn't counted on it being the final chapter. Felt a bit rushed, tbh. Excited to read the next installment, though.

18. Dilla

Dilla Seventh Year

I agree with Blaise, I am very happy to see this back and the updated pleased me, but I really thought that the search for 'the Weapon' would continue on into the 2nd year and the fact that it was finished up in 7,000 words surprised me.

Btw, during my re-read, I noticed the foreshadowing in chapter 9 that alluded to Hermione getting bitten (along with the consequence) for the first time. ++ points for that. I'm also reminded of how much I like your Ron. In this world, he would have very easy to bash to the ground, but you've portrayed him as a kid with a bit of a swelled head, but not a menace. Congrats.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  19. Blank402

Blank402 Second Year

I was worried that the chapter would feel a little rushed, but I had done all I wanted with year 1 and wanted to bring it to a close so I could hurry up and get started on year 2.

20. Paradosi

Paradosi Fourth Year

I rather like it so far.

It's a little quick, but still quite readable. I assume Dumbledore left the prophecy as one of his very complicated plans. He seems to have expected Harry to find it. Though as I mentioned in the review I left on FF.net, I'm surprised he didn't bother mentioning how Riddle and Snape were trying to find it to Dumbledore earlier.