1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Hero's Path by TheJackOfDiamonds - T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ip82, Apr 8, 2006.

1. TheJackOFDiamonds

TheJackOFDiamonds Third Year

Thanks for the comments.

I'm really happy with the reactions I've gotten to Fleur and Karkaroff, both of whom will get developed a little more next chapter, so thanks to everybody who commented on the two of them.

To those wondering about the tasks, I've got something planned for the first task, but it's not going to be an elaborate prank so much as Harry giving the proverbial bird to everybody by putting in virtually no effort at all and flouting it.

After the first task, however, all bets are off. Crouch Jr. and Bagman both have serious motivation to make sure Harry's succeeds, and in Crouch's case, he really doesn't care how it happens. Because of this, the second task is going be a little more interesting in this version than it was in canon. As for the third, Harry's not going to be in a position to watch Cedric's back, but you'll have to wait to see why.

Chuck - sorry you didn't the like all the tournament hoopla. I wanted to at least attempt to explain why Harry had to compete, and felt it didn't make sense to have Dumbledore be part of the committee that screwed up, but still know all about the old rules. In any case, it's done now, so no more boring tournament history. :)

Next chapter should be out quicker than the last one (I hope so, at least).

-the Jack

2. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

BTW,

I LOVED Fleur and Igor. Exceptional job. Only Fleur I like better is Jbern's in Bungle in the Jungle!

(And I'm a beta on that, so that's the best you'll get! :D )

Igor is perfect. I can't think of anything wrong with his characterization.

3. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    Yes, I have to agree you did an exceptional job on Igor, Nice job.

4. TheJackOFDiamonds

TheJackOFDiamonds Third Year

Chapter 23 is up:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2869936/23/

For those that saw the draft, the only thing I changed was the scene towards the end with Daphne. I tried to make her intentions less obvious so that it was more in-character for her.

Other than that, there's quite a few things going on this chapter, including the first task, and we learn a little more about Karkaroff as well. The situation with Daphne is also nearing a turning point, so for those of you who are worried Harry is getting manipulated too easily, just wait.

As always, all comments welcome.

-the Jack

5. Azrael's Little Helper

Azrael's Little Helper High Inquisitor

Daphne's new part seemed much more in character with the image you've developed, much more Slytherinesque? The only presumption I dare make is the part where Dumbles wages his smear campaign against Karkaroff seems a little like rival schoolchildren ratting out a competitor for a new, cool kid on the block's attention with the slandering, but it does exactly what you wished it to do: present skewed versions of the man's image and I guess what anyone else says on the matter is irrelevant, so long as your idea is portrayed. And talk about updating like a demon! By all means keep going.

6. Zevrillion

Zevrillion Founder Retired Staff

The new chapter was great, and we here in Sweden get our present the 24th so it was a great Christmas present.

7. KubYnator

KubYnator Second Year

We in Germany get our presents also at the 24th, so the perfect present (especial as Bungle in the Jungle was updated, too).

This is one of my favorite WIP's and I hope you can hold the fast update time!

8. CrashLTD

CrashLTD Fifth Year

I like the way you painted Karkaroff. He has an ideal of his own, which is quite different from the usual perverted dogma that the Death Eaters follow. His ideal is like a breath of fresh air in fanfiction that is polluted with Pureblood Supremacy cliches.

Anyway, its clear to everyone that Harry doesn't want to compete. However, I'm excited how you'd pull off the second task when Harry is forced not to be mediocre cause I'm guessing it would be Row's life on the line next task. Again great chapter and hope to hear more from you soon.

9. Nereic

Nereic Guest

No word for 3 and a half months; is this abandoned? I really enjoyed reading it.

10. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Why do people exaggerate things that are so easy to check? Just six posts up is Jack announcing that he posted chapter 23 on ff.net less than three months ago.

This thread and Jack have been quiet, but three months silence hardly means the fic is abandoned. It might mean Jack is lazy, or blocked, but unless Jack announces it, you've got a few more months before calling it abandoned.

11. Assassinator_of_Dumbledor

Assassinator_of_Dumbledor Raptured to Hell

no posts or updates in more than five months

12. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    Great bump, idiot.

13. Robo Jesus

Robo Jesus High Inquisitor

[​IMG]

14. Mesterio

Mesterio First Year

Very centered on Harry's control, paranoia, and his need for his two friends who literally become his family. LOVED this fic, well written and aptly named despite Harry's reluctance to become an icon.

15. Bug-Eyed Earl

Bug-Eyed Earl First Year

Has anybody actually spoken with Jack of Diamonds since the last update? I don't usuallly bother authors about updates, but I can't help but notice that for sixmonths he steadily updated the story, then he just stopped and seemed to disappear. I hope he's OK.

16. Robo Jesus

If he is ok, I hope he'll have some good stories involving hookers and partying to share.

17. Klael

Klael Headmaster DLP Supporter

PM him if you want to ask. Stop asking the same questions over and over on the library thread.

18. Robo Jesus

But they're n00bs. How else are they going to get in their ++postcount if not through pointless spam that has already been asked?

Though the idea of sending the author a PM asking for a story about hookers does sound pretty appealing.:D

19. Bug-Eyed Earl

Bug-Eyed Earl First Year

I emailed him through ff.net already. No answer.

Plus I waited until this thread was bumped before posting in it. I kind of hoped someone else would know,.

20. CosmosGravitation

CosmosGravitation Professor

By looking at his profile one can tell that he hasn't logged in to these forums since February. Probably safe to assume he hasn't gone to ff.net in an equally long time.

Hopefully nothing dramatic happened to him and he's just super busy in real life or lost interest in fan fiction.