1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Hero's Path by TheJackOfDiamonds - T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ip82, Apr 8, 2006.

1. dragaan

dragaan First Year

just wanted to share his blog is pretty good even though he hasn't updated it in a while too!!

2. The-Hyphenated-One

The-Hyphenated-One Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Wow what a useful post, and here I thought his story might have been updated by some off chance. Next time, think before posting and browse the site. Necro-ing is not a good thing in the library, unless you have something purposeful to say about the story in question.

3. Annalus

Annalus Muggle

WHAT THE FUCK!?!?!?!

STOP FUCKING REZZING THIS GODDAMNED THREAD. I ALWAYS EXPECT AN UPDATE WHEN I SEE THIS SHIT, AND THERE'S NEVER BEEN ONE. WE GET IT, HE'S NOT UPDATING, IT'S A FUCKING AWESOME STORY. NOW STOP BEATING A DEAD HORSE, AND DON'T POST IN THIS FUCKING THREAD. :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

4. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Umm... yeah. Just shut the fuck up. Everyone.

Necroing is a fine thing in the library. Not anywhere else.

Stupid useless posts are stupid useless ones no matter where they are.

And failing to use any capitalization in a one-line comment about liking a blog (with two exclamation points) is a pretty stupid and useless post. Now if that had been formatted, included a specific comment or two, or included a link to the blog, then at least it would have been only a stupid post, not a useless one.

Still no sign of Jack. Move along folks, nothing to see here.

5. talon

talon Squib

This story was literally a rollercoaster. There were times I just wanted to shout at the author for the numerous number of cliche moments and H/Hr iteraction. If Hermoine can't hack it in Gryffindor then she should harden the fuck up. Harry displays a remarkable intelligence in this story yet instead of teaching Hermoine to deal with her own problems (curse everyone who pisses her off) he goes out of his way to bully and threaten ron and co. instead. Likewise I felt rumors that start circulating about Harry shouldn't affect him in anyway since he's at Hogwarts to gain power not stay on everyone's good side.

On the other hand I did like your characterizations of Dumbledore, Sirius and even Lupin. So many great sections of writing followed by cliche filled portions led to a very disconcerting reading.

3.75/5

talon

6. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

I found this story to be extremely fascinating. Upon first reading it, it was quite terrible, and I was confused at the high rating here at DLP. Almost stopped reading after the first few chapters, but then figured there had to be a reason for the rating. There was, as starting at about the point where the Basilisk makes its appearance, a huge quality surge was found, and everything following that was fantastic. It was great seeing tJoD figure out how to write as he went along.

The end of year three was the finest interpretation of those particular events I've ever come across. Add in the original ideas that he had (using Parseltongue to inspire fear, Karkaroff's fantastic characterization, sliders), and this had potential to be one of the finest HP works of all time. As is, it does stand as an unfinished gem, which lends its own frustrations.

Random aside:

HP fanfiction is a different beast. I'm also involved in the Quake 1 community. There doesn't seem to be nearly as large as an anonymous aspect to it. When someone moves on and leaves a level incomplete, they almost always tell everyone as to their intentions or reasoning to leave the community behind. Not so much in the HP fandom.

7. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

Obligatory " What the hell happened to TheJackofDiamonds"

I reread it and it's still good in an indy harry sense but it lost some of its apeal.

8. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

This story is actually what caused me to start lurking here on DLP back in 2005. Brilliant work I must say, but I've already forced myself to stop thinking of the fic. What wasted potential!

At leas Jack didn't pull and Eldryn on us.

9. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

It was a fascinating read, and though as a general rule I hate OCs with a passion, this was an excellent read. It's too bad it's abandoned. A solid 4/5 from me.

10. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

He vanished. His last update was late December 2006 and in here he was last online early February. Around mid 2007 I tried to contact him via ff.net without response. It's sad. He had an original plotline, a good amount of readers and updated regularly.

11. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Same, though around '06 or '07 - can't really remember. I had Googled 'jackofdiamonds' and his posts on DLP had come up after the links to his stories. Ah, memories.

12. capo327

capo327 Sixth Year

Maybe he died.

13. Voice of the Nephilim

I googled "Jack of Diamonds", and emailed a few people who had emails corresponding to the main search. Got one reply from a very confused person who was wondering if I was talking about H.P. Lovecraft fan fiction. He denial of being "our" TJOD was quickly verified when I informed him it was HP fan fiction.

14. h2o

h2o Professor

Currently re-reading this story... I must say that I was a bit hesitant in doing so, it has been quite a while and I remember the beginning with Vernon beating up Harry... still, once you get past that bit... great stuff. I find Harry's character here to be one of the best written in fandom. Sadly, I don't like Row much as she's an OC and I'm inclined to dislike her just because of that. Jack is better written I find as he isn't set out to be special, just a pretty tough bloke. Row and the whole Ravenclaw ancestry.... Rowena Selena T'Alberian Thomas or whatever the stupid name is did instill a bit of hatred towards her character. Would have liked seeing this finished... as well an AU where he gets caught after defeating the Basilisk. Or goes to Gryffindor. Either possibilites could give a very different story.

4/5 anyway since I never rated it before ^^

15. Robo Jesus

Robo Jesus High Inquisitor

Before he disappeared, he regularly updated his livejournal, was a regular visitor to a few different forums, and was almost always willing to talk to people and answer questions/comments. He hasn't done any of that in years since the day he 'disappeared'. He hasn't updated his favorites list on FF.net, he hasn't updated his journal, he hasn't visited a single forum he was on. In short, he completely disappeared from the internet, and given his behaviour prior to that, it is very out of character.

All in all, I'm willing to say that it's quite certain that he has died, is currently dead, and will remain dead for quite a while to come. Quite a shame really.

16. LuxDragon

LuxDragon Fourth Year

Yeah, closure would be nice though, huh?

17. Voice of the Nephilim

I had seen that he had a website where he occasionally posted poetry, but I hadn't seen his livejournal. Do you have the URL for it?

18. Robo Jesus

Robo Jesus High Inquisitor

http://thejackofdiamonds.blogspot.com/

His journal.

19. yhelo

yhelo Sixth Year

Sorry for bumping this yet again.

I believe it is highly likely that TheJackODiamonds has died irl. There is a certain psychological drawback toward familiar places, especially in which you have put so much effort and time into. To suddenly one day just disappear from all these different parts of the internet that he visited, would be almost impossible if he was alive. The fact that the internet is readily available anywhere in the world and is used in almost every job, makes me think that him simply not visiting or not having access would be unlikely.

That being said, I think it would be a good tribute to him for someone or a group of fans/authors to finish this story. I know the author isn't around to ask permission, but I think it is definitely one of the best stories that have graced the internet with its presence.

20. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Good fucking God.

I think that was the most pathetically depressing and depraved post I think I've ever seen on the internet. Not just DLP, the whole internet.

It took you one fucking paragraph to go from genuinely speculating and presenting your argument on the author's death into pleading that people continue his story IN HIS MEMORY.

I'm somewhere in between impressed and really fucking pissed off.

On behalf of those cursed with a conscience, let me tell you to please SHUT THE FUCK UP.

And dead or not, any discussion on these forums about how to best go about stealing/continuing another author's work without his or her explicit permission will be met with the harshest response within my reach. Around here, that's called the banstick.

THIS IS YOUR WARNING.