1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality by Less Wrong - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by headbanger22, Mar 9, 2010.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Don't know why y'all persist, really.

2. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

That's what I did with the Ghostbusters chapter... AND the 5000 words of sorting hat nonsense chapter. Then the author's note/omake chapter hit. There has to be a point where a reader has to say, "Why the fuck am I wasting my time with this when I could be doing something more fun, like acquiring crabs."

3. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Eh, I found the sorting hat chapter... dealable. Not great, but nothing that bad either.

Ghostbusters one? I skimmed it and ignored most of it, like this one.

I figure i'll read the next 1 or 2 chapters, and make my decision from there. My opinion of the story right now however, is that it should be binned.

4. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Latest update should have gone into a side story which would be a collection of omakes, deleted scenes etc.

But I'll forgive and ignore this because the author wrote an omake based on an idea I've left in a review. Though my idea was better than what he's written. Also, Taure, he's removed the section you've quoted.

I hope the next update is much better.

5. The Greek

The Greek Second Year

Honestly? I'm starting to think the guy is doing a crack-fic. The only places where logic is applied are those he uses to trash the system, wizards, etc.

Maybe as a crack-fic it would be acceptable. As it is....

6. Brown

Brown Third Year

The problem with the story, I suppose, is that it only has one trick; and it keeps using that trick, and expecting you to be as impressed as you were the first time. The application of rationalist principles to HP magic produces some funny conclusions/questions, yes. But that's all, and you can't go any further than that.

Magic in the HP-verse obeys certain principles, or rather follows certain trends; its effects can be specific and documented. But its origins and essential nature cannot be understood. Unlike electricity, which is a simple idea which becomes complicated once you start talking about generators and capacitors, and then becomes simple again when you reduce it to the level of electrons, magic just is.

The magic in Harry Potter is possibility, imagination, change, power, all wrapped up in one mysterious force. It is ludicrous to apply scientific principles to such a force; by definition, magic eludes the probing gaze of science. The interplay between magic and science in the HP-verse - or rather, their disconnect - is not enough to sustain a long-form story. This would have made a very funny/interesting one-shot, but it makes a poor chaptered story, and I would expect further chapters to decline in quality.

tl;dr - magic, ur doing it wrong
    2/5

7. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

Reading my first review of this story means that what he said about the story being new and original a complete lie, and I knew this pattern. Like every other story with logic!, it failed because of the logic.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  8. Everetza

Everetza Second Year

I'm staying with it, because I enjoy quite a few bits a lot. That said, it only makes me all the more disappointed when I see a new update and its... the sorting hat sneezing and blowing up. Funny if I was in the mood, perhaps. However, since it's now been three chapters since Harry entered the hall to get sorted and he's still there, I feel the need to say 'hurry the fuck up with the plot!'

9. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

I'm sticking with it, despite it varying wildly in tone and atmosphere. It's no different than many other crack fics, and if you treat it as such, it has its good moments.

The Dumbledore speeches were amusing, but I'm still curious if the author knows where he's actually going with this.

10. Stenstyren

Stenstyren Professor

New chapter up, at least the author is quick on the updates!

This chapter actually advanced the plot a little bit what with Harry's fear of becoming dark and resolve to make "light" stuff from now on.

However, we are still in the great hall.

Really, the author should make something happen soon, his attempts at humor are not good most of the time and it's definitely enough after three chapters.

11. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    His Dumbledore was interesting in the divergence from canon!Dumbledore. A bit more competent perhaps, with regards to running of the school. Explaining exactly why they can't go into the 3rd floor corridor, for example.

Harry's desire not to be a dark lord, and altering his behaviour because of it, is irritating. He's in no danger of becoming a dark lord. A ruthless leader, perhaps, but not a megalomaniac killer. He's too rational to become like Voldemort. Sure, he entertained the idea of offing a load of Purebloods, but the French revolution killed off the aristocracy, and the allies in WW2 carpet bombed Dresden. The "good guys" often commit atrocities in the name of their cause.

With regards to "Comed-Tea" (an idea which is becoming a bit over-used now, for such a minor plot element), one interesting idea is that it doesn't change reality at all, but rather your sense of humour. After all, would people normally choke because of Dumbledore's nonsense sentence?

12. Arachnoid

Arachnoid Squib

I place this, My final thoughts on this "story" if it can be called one.
    0/5
    The author is writing for reviews to boost his ego. What writing skills he does have are overshadowed by the piss poor humor, lousy plot holes and 50k words of useless terminology.
    To me writing should be for your own release not to cater to reviews by people who wouldn't know a quality fic if it bit them in the ass.
    Best of luck to those who continue to read this "story" I can not bring myself to torture my eyes and brain any longer.

13. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Why would a competent Dumbledore not recognize a possessed Quirrel, or that Voldemort is teaching Defense? This is strange.

14. Innomine

High Score:
    Eh, this chapter wasn't as bad for me. It'll take a lot for me to agree to take it out of the bin, however. Good as a guilty pleasure, but can't see it as something the DLP library would embrace.

3/5. That should be reasonably final.

15. Everetza

Everetza Second Year

You do realize that Quirrel was possesed in the canon, too? Plus, competent or not, he could always think it's just some psychological thing- nothing to say wizards can't have multiple personality disorder. Quirell's obviously crazy, that's obviously fairly normal in Hogwarts, Dumbledore doesn't want to have to hire anyone new. No reason for him to think- 'he's wierd, must be possesed by Voldemort!'

Anyway, I though this chapter was back on track but... for some reason it made me less optimistic. I think because although it was on-track, it wasn't that good anyway. He way overused itallics and repitition for one thing. Sarcasm and the kind of tone he has are good in small amounts, but not all the time- overkill.

Not to mention, if he continues to have five paragraphs of Harry's thoughts per every line of dialouge or outside action... just too slow. Were it not for the update speed, I would stop bothering. Hope it gets better, he learns to write normally some of the time and that he introduces some character development or something to grip my attention again.

As it is, the thing I'm most appreciative about in regards to this story is that it introduced me to his blogs, which are actually intresting as hell and fun to use to confuse people.

16. Lincos

Lincos Professor DLP Supporter

Seriously, I should have gave up on this about 3 or 4 chapters ago. With each new chapter brings more disappointment.

This newest chapter shall be the last for me.

2/5 since the first few chapters where alright.

17. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

Chapter 13 is up, and we're back to dramady. The story is pretty damn scatter-shot in genre, but that's what I like about it. I find it continuously interesting. So my rating remains.

MOAR PLEASE!

18. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

DO NOT EAT WHILE YOU ARE WEARING YOUR PAJAMAS
    YOU WILL GET A PAJAMA PENALTY

I wish I could send myself notes like this. It'd really liven up my day.

19. Innomine

High Score:
    I actually quite enjoyed that chapter. Surreal, but still reasonably fun.

20. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

That wasn't bad. It was much better than the previous five chapters. I still think Chapter 7 is the best, though. And I want to know whether this is going to be a Chapter7-esque more serious fic, or whether it'll be a Chapter13-esque crackfic.

Not open for further replies.