1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality by Less Wrong - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by headbanger22, Mar 9, 2010.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Shanty

Shanty Squib

I don't know what you all are talking about, I thoroughly enjoyed this fic. The rationalist arguments in it are incredibly fun, if you ask me, and it has a refreshing dose of humour. Yes, McGonagall and Dumbledore are out of character, but that's not a bad thing. I like it, and I will continue reading it. 5/5.

Also, Sooner, the are trying to get Harry to ignore Quirrel because he's the best teacher they've had in ages and they don't want to stand the chance of losing him, even if he is Voldemort. They're ignoring all of his faults because they don't want to deal with the issues.

2. Vengashii

Vengashii Banned

Did not expect this to turn into a crackfic, but there you go...

3. Juggler

Juggler Death Eater DLP Supporter

I believe this story was rated too early. However, I'm not going to spend time catching up, because I didn't find it worth the time as it was.

4. Vander

Vander First Year

Dumbledore is hilarious in this story. The tour of his office he gave Harry was absolute gold ("This is an umbrella. This is another umbrella"). He's certifiably insane yet also a true genius, which confuses the hell out of Harry.

It's funny, I'm enjoying almost every character in this story more than Harry himself.

Though I do have to say, for it having a Harry/Hermione tag, Hermione sure hasn't been in the story much at all.

5. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Gotta say that I'm actually enjoying Dumbledore in this story. Reminds me of how he was characterized in the first book.

6. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

The author argues that it's not a crackfic. Doesn't mean there isn't any crack in it.

I don't like the ActuallyCrazy!Dumbledore. I wish the story would go back to what made it unique and interesting, rather than playing around with insanity.

7. turtle7

turtle7 Backtraced

This story seems awkward and dead to me. I tried reading it but just couldn't get into the story very well.

8. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    You're dead to me.

On another point, I'm not a huge fan of this piece, but it had an interesting starting point. Just never went anywhere I was into. Deserves where it is, I think.

9. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

The newest chapter was.....different. Although I'm starting to really dislike Harry; hes just plain whiny. However, I will continue to read it, as its one of the only stories out that has been updating quickly!

10. Innomine

High Score:
    You know, although I understand that this story is fundamentally flawed in a lot of ways, I still enjoy it a lot.

Definitely deserves the bin here, but also a definite guilty pleasure for me.

The new chapter, loved it.

11. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

From the AN:
    You know who's a bigger whore than Anita Blake? The author, obviously.

I liked this chapter very much. Lots of quotable parts.

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  12. Innomine

High Score:
    Does the author even matter? I don't really care what kind of person the author is, as long as it doesn't effect the story.

Frankly, he has a reason to be proud of 3,000 reviews in under 2 months. Ok, yes, reviews mean jack shit to most here on DLP, but they do mean quite a lot to the majority.

13. Everetza

Everetza Second Year

The new chapter was great. I thought Snape's reactions (mainly just imagining them myself, but still) as Harry slowly navigated toward him having to be nicer to students and give a public apology were funny as hell.

I also like that he took the timeturner out of the equation, it was much too powerful. Good update, I'm still enjoying it.

4/5

14. Aura

Aura Seventh Year

Oh man! The author's Dumbledore has gotten me hooked! Batshit crazy!

While the earlier chapters seem kinda meh, the current ones are flowing along nicely. Initially, I didn't like the fact that the author values logic more than magic, after all, this is a Harry Potter story. Currently, after trudging through the horrifying ghostbusters chapter, I'm certainly beginning to enjoy it.

15. Mordac

Mordac Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

16. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

Epic new chapter is EPIC! The last line had me rolling.

Ya know what, fuck it. 5/5 from me.

17. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

You underestimate how hard it is to be a bigger whore than Anita Blake. He isn't even as big a whore as Anita Blake was a half dozen books ago.

18. Everetza

Everetza Second Year

Although Anita would disagree. Whore she may be, but she still thinks everyone else should stick to one person. They don't have the ardeur, after all. God, she started to annoy me to death after the seventh book; LKH needs to learn character development does not mean 'how can I possibly make my protag more annoying and self-centered?'.

Ah, I feel better now. And before anyone jumps on me for the rant, if you didn't see it coming after the second line that's your own bloody fault, ain't it?

19. Terikol

Terikol Backtraced

The first point that got me on this story, is the characterization

Or the very big lack of it. Most of the justification for the characters is incredibly lazy with little depth to it at all. The only one who has any reasonable characterization to him is Malfoy, but he's kind of hard to screw up badly so I'm not crediting that to the author.

Most of the other characters act in cliche` grinding ways that have no real reason to suddenly act this way, except it would be difficult to write this way otherwise. As a Luna fan, I especially dislike how he used the complete opposite of her character for a stupid gag that wasn't even funny. But that's because I'm a Luna fan.

His actual writing style is plain at best. He doesn't invoke me and I find myself caring less as I read more instead of the reverse.

And he seems to use several concepts in his fanfic to try and 'prove' Harry's intelligence that is used wrong. If you're going to use a concept, KNOW IT!

And to make things worse, he has become one of THOSE authors. Ones who think their farts are roses and he can poop gold. When authors reach that point without any real merit for deserving it (Someone like Jim Butcher could do it because he can fucking write.) will make their trash pure shit.

So based on that, amongst other Factors. I would have to say it ranks a 2/5 at its best points, but I would put the average lower to 1.5/5. The only real saving grace of this story is that he at least doesn't write like a fucking idiot.

20. Everetza

Everetza Second Year

@ Terikol: sounds to me like you got hung up on a few points, started looking for them and forgot to actually pay attention to the story. Which is original and awesome. Also, 'pretty impossible to screw up Malfoy'? It is not. This guy didn't just do a cliche one, either, he took him and a lot of other characters in new directions. So screw that, the rest of us like it and you can go whine in a corner.

By the way, what cocepts did he get wrong? Seeing as he is a published rationality author and practically runs the Less Wrong blogs, I think it's more likely that you are the one who's confused.

Not open for further replies.