1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality by Less Wrong - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by headbanger22, Mar 9, 2010.

Not open for further replies.
  1. theronin

theronin Order Member

You really think she (and her lawyers) aren't already aware of its existence?

2. kinetique

kinetique Headmaster

This guy is so narcissistic.

3. Bramastra

Bramastra Groundskeeper

you really think they care enough about it, the moment he starts asking for publication is when she brings the hammer down

4. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

I'm not seeing a reason to bring the hammer down, so long as he doesn't actually try to publish. She doesn't even have to write a polite declination. She might, but I don't feel that it's likely.

No response. The same thing that happens with most stupid letters to famous people.

5. golan

golan Temporarily Banhammered DLP Supporter

Probably, because it's popular (the 2nd-most popular HP fanfic on FFN)?

6. Bramastra

Bramastra Groundskeeper

Whats the first?

7. golan

golan Temporarily Banhammered DLP Supporter

8. Bramastra

Bramastra Groundskeeper

Could never get into that one, wonder why

Edit

Just realized it's the same guy that wrote Team 8. Now I know why

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  9. Russano

Russano Disappeared

10. esran

esran Professor

Sort by "favorites", its a slightly more accurate way to judge fic popularity. Review count on MOR is skewed by several stunts to gain review count, without gaining additional readership.

11. Stan

Stan Order Member

Eh. NoFP has been here for almost 10 years -- much longer than MoR. NoFP never gained anywhere near the amount of buzz MoR seems to create on a daily basis, even if most of that buzz is either from the author's cult-like following in whose eyes he can do no wrong or people who just need the slightest excuse to demonize everything he does.

NoFP, while not the best redo fic (that honor belongs to Backwards With a Purpose) is still pretty good and was (is?) largely responsible for the popularity of HP time travel fics. While it deserves to be appreciated for that, more popular than HPMoR it is not.

12. Russano

Russano Disappeared

It also got a large surge in the past year by updating twice. It had enough of a following and had been around long enough that most of the fandom goes zomg it updated and go check it out. It was way behind MoR when I checked it some time ago.

13. redlibertyx

redlibertyx Professor

So...is it actually finished? From reading the most recently posted chapter I would suspect not. It's still not very good writing and that's before we get to the bonkers author's note.

I suspect the ultimate result will be MOR being (self-)published with the serial numbers filed off. Because not only does it not respect the themes of JK's work, but it also has wacky ideas about characterization, canon, and what constitutes a "good story."

Who wants to bet the "charity" involved is the UK equivalent of his workplace?

14. Bramastra

Bramastra Groundskeeper

Why doesn't the motherfucker rewrite it as Original Fiction, it would save much MOR time for him trying to publish it

15. Caledfwlch

Caledfwlch Sixth Year DLP Supporter

I can't imagine Rowling will be impressed with the fact that the author couldn't even finish reading her series.

source

16. Bramastra

Bramastra Groundskeeper

And he expects her to publish it?

17. ^_^

^_^ First Year

So it has finally started up again? That's good.I remember that fic being the one that introduced me to DLP over 4 years ago or so mostly because I heard there was an internet squabble between the members here and the author.
    I still maintain that it is one of the best works of hp-centric fanfiction I've read but I stopped reading around the time it began to talk about how girls can be heroes too. Not because I disagree or anything it's just that the reading became more of a chore than an enjoyable past-time. I'll admit it is the only piece of fanfiction that I could recommend to doctors and other med students without feeling like I would be laughed at and I have gotten a 100 percent positive review rate from them so far. Of course I had to make sure they liked hp first lol.

I honestly don't plan on picking it up again (to actually read)though, although I might re-subscribe to the podcast to listen to while I'm driving or trying to go to sleep. So, can someone spoil me on what has happened with the plot so far? I read a few entries before mine saying that it has turned into mass murder schemes and things of that nature:confused:.

18. potterheadcharles

potterheadcharles Third Year

I am astounded by your ability to contradict yourself...

And yes, always remember that doctors would take anything thrown at them for free and give it a hundred percent positive review. Try to sell it to them, then they'll show their honest to God opinions. No offense to the Doctors on DLP.

19. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

I've never read beyond the first nine chapters, in part because it was getting worse and in part because I knew in the future it would get much worse.

So depending on whether it's just people you recommended you can take a little chunk from that 100%. I admit I am curious though, why do you think it's the only fanfiction (for people who like HP) that you could recommend to medics? I'm genuinely intrigued. Is there some point after chapter 9 where Harry says he wants to be a healer and begins to discuss real-world problems? Or Voldemort throws out an interesting epidemiological puzzle about wizarding disease as a reason for his new world order?

This is a genuine question, I hope you answer.

What makes this story (by a more philosophical and mathematical sorta guy, from my loose understanding about the author) any more appealing for people in healthcare (I'm gonna' go and add in Biologists, Physios, Nurses, Pharmacists etc. There's bound to be at least a few of these fields which overlap) specifically than other Harry Potter fanfiction, beyond the general 'methods of rationality' style which has a huge number of fans and haters?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  20. MobMentality

MobMentality DA Member

Don't know why medically inclined people would particularly enjoy this work, the one time I can remember Less Wrong taking a stab at biology he butchered it terribly. In Chapter 23 Harry demonstrates that magic is inherited through genetics through a single recessive allele. This is dumb for two reasons that any first-year biology student could point out.

First, very few major traits are coded in a single allele; the vast majority arise out of complex interactions between an array of alleles. 2-genotype-one-allele models are pretty much only mentioned in the first few weeks of introductory genetics because they are nearly useless for modelling real-world problems.

The bigger problem though is that if magic is a recessive gene, no child of two wizards could ever be born a squib. Since both wizards would have to have pure magic genes, there wouldn't be any way for a child to inherit the non-magical allele. So if Less Wrong's model worked, purebloods would be completely correct to only intermarry one another to keep the bloodlines pure, and almost every child born to a wizard and a muggle should be a squib.

I think that was around where I gave up on the story, because the idea of a science-minded Harry lost its lustre if the author couldn't be bothered to get the science right.

Not open for further replies.