1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Remnants of the Soul by Cubdom - T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Shezza, Jun 7, 2006.

1. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Oh hey, I'm psychic! Until 2012 then.

Still decent enough for the library and all, but damn, this update rate.

2. dezzal

dezzal Squib

well for the most part i liked the character interaction with this chapter. i just thought it was too much angst. the nightmares were completely unnecessary and had nothing to do with the actual plot. to me he could have achieved the same thing by just by stating harry had a nightmare.

3. Tenages

Tenages Order Member DLP Supporter

Have you ever heard of show don't tell? No. Well it's a fairly basic storytelling rule. Suffice it to say that showing a nightmare and its effects is far more powerful than stating "Harry had a nightmare."

Edit: Confused you with someone else. That being said, proper capitalization is not difficult. Use it.

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  4. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

The nightmares took up too much of the chapter. The first nightmare achieved it's purpose - showing Harry to still feel immense guilt, and to rather heavily hint that his soul is/was damaged. The second nightmare was redundant.

The rest of the material is good. Same old woes, though. Worried about any overarching plot.

5. Catman

Catman DA Member

I know what an asshole. I remember that one time my family and friends were all murdered around me during my birthday but you don't see me having nightmares or crying about it.

Edit : The nightmares, I felt, where very much needed. I'll be honest, I haven't experience any family death and I don't have much to grieve over, so I have a very outside view of the situation, but it didn't seem to me like he was grieving in any way I would expect from somebody in his situation. His two best friends, surrogate family, ex-gf, fathers best friend and one of his own, tonks, Neville, Luna, etc... all died, all at once. It's not that I find any hes done out of character of unbelievable, but I thought the author wasn't making it apparent enough how much the situation effected him. I can understand why you'd say the second nightmare was redundant, but I felt it was needed to show that it's a persisting issue.

Second Edit: It's not that I don't think Harry should "get over it". It's just I would be surprised it would happen so quickly.

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  6. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

There is no issue about Harry grieving. He should be, and he is.

The issue I'm having is that half the most recent update was nightmares. The first nightmare established what I said it established. The second only served little purpose beyond that. It didn't add anything to the first that couldn't have been accomplished by "telling" instead of "showing". (In fact, it's only saving grace was that other characters were involved (Neville, Luna)).

Given how this fic has bare traces of an overarching plot - beyond his recovery - it becomes even more apparent when there are unimportant or redundant scenes.

7. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

I had forgotten he had a fanfiction.net site for the story... I'd reread it a couple weeks ago and it didn't have the 2010 update on his story's site.

So far, I like it and can see it being in the library. It's aged pretty well. I wish he would do like three or chapters a year though.