1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Harry Potter and the Temporal Beacon by willyolioleo

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Major Session, Oct 15, 2013.

1. brad

brad Third Year

That put me off as well. Right now I've forgotten the in-story reason for why the supposedly invariant timeline and conditions prior to their jump-off point keeps changing.

My own "if they *really* had a beason" objection is their drive to terminate each loop early. On at least one occasion Hermione or Harry have committed suicide when the other has been killed by Voldemort, so they can rejoin the other in the next loop. Why? Why be in such a rush? You've got all the time in the world - well, the current loop - to learn more, gather more information, learn more about Riddle ... before dying some other way and experiencing the restart.

Again, the reason - because such a story would be boring!

Although maybe the author could handle this particular case by summarising the ensuing life-without-Harry/Hermione in a few paragraphs, wring some angst out of it, noting that it *did* happen, before starting all over again.

But he *has* done some neat things with the time travel wrinkle as well.

I don't have a problem with the relationship; I think it's pretty easy to argue that the relationship can only grow - mature - as they both share experiences that no other can match. An analogue of the Flamels that you sometimes see in fan fiction - these two immortals staying with each other for centuries because, after a while, everyone else is just too ephemeral, too insignificant, to even attract their attention.

As I mentioned before I'd been getting a little uncomfortable because the H/Hr relationship was becoming a little bit too sterile, too much tied up in the 'mission', so I was pleased when the author had the two enjoy some downtime with each other and remind us of why they were a boy and girl together in the first place.

On that we most definitely disagree. I think many/most of the author's canon criticisms are astute.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  2. Charlesnaismith

Charlesnaismith First Year

This story is high quality guilty pleasure.

I like the way the story changes when they use the beacon, as well as the changes in the conflict of the story as the characters become more capable. The lack of an overall direction and the sappy poorly written romance keep this from being an excellent story for me.

4 stars

3. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Meh. This story was good at the beginning, but as it went on it got worse and worse. The first quarter is 4/5, but after that it just drags on and on for no real reason.

2.5/5, rounded up to three for voting purposes because it's a guilty pleasure read.

4. Photon

Photon Order Member

I like it, there are some interesting ideas, I noticed nothing that is storybreaking. But I am unsure about rating, I prefer to do this on reread (except cases of "this is not worth reading").

PS
    Is it possible that either OP or mods will remove this useless poll?

5. Nazadel

Nazadel Squib

I think the concept works. The loops don't feel repetitive, they're different enough to avoid being boring. The author played with some interesting ideas in the story, and some rather clever twists.

The romance wasn't well written, though. It felt kind of awkward and forced, and didn't really fit in the pacing either. That does make it less enjoyable, but I'm still interested in seeing what's coming next.

6. Lyrium

Lyrium Sent Back to India

I like this story although I have trouble remembering a lot of the stuff in between. Lots of great ideas which probably would have worked better split into parts.

7. Vegemeister

Vegemeister Seventh Year

This fic would be 1000 times better without Hermione. The constant supplication. The "Oh Harry, you were doing so well until you mentioned Fleur." The bit where Harry reminds himself to buy Hermione a dress in order to 'make up' for running an errand without her. This is the worst sort of relationship. Better to attempt to take Voldemort in one go than to potentially spend an eternity with that.

8. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I sadly have to agree, despite being an H/Hr fan myself. Harry pussifies himself more and more over the course of the fic.