1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Touch of Destiny by EnigmaDecoder - T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by EnigmaDecoder, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Kid Leo

Kid Leo First Year

I've read the first two chapters and so far I find it pretty good, I really liked the prank fred and george pulled.

2. EnigmaDecoder

EnigmaDecoder Midknight's Mancrush

For those interested, the new chapter is up on ff.net

3. Ivy_Snowe

Ivy_Snowe Second Year

It's interesting and I do like it. Not augmenting Harry into some overnight super-powered being is a nice change for alot of fics that I read. I understand why Harry didn't dodge the punch. Alot of people have complained about Harry being a pussy, but over a decade of abuse and the guy isn't simpering and jumping at his own shadow? Give the kid a gold star for lasting that long! The fic is going good, it has it's faltering moments, but very few. I'm looking forward to what you write next.

4. mielterron

mielterron Second Year

Very nice, I think the last chapter settled any questions about pansy harry. Looking forward to more. Are you going to put in romance or is it just solo?

5. CrashLTD

CrashLTD Fifth Year

It's great. I don't mind what happened Chapter 2. Canon Harry really is a wuss and I pity you for having to correct that mistake in fanfiction.

As somebody pointed out earlier, Voldemort telling everyone about Snape and obliviating them in the end was pretty cheap. I'd rather that part had been omitted. I was like banging my head on the monitory when the Prophecy was revealed to Snape. Otherwise, this story is great.

6. EnigmaDecoder

EnigmaDecoder Midknight's Mancrush

Thanks for your responses, I really appreciate the feedback.

Ivy_Snowe - I really wanted to start my Harry as close to canon as possible and then slowly develop him. I've never been a big fan of the whole insta-power Harry. I usually find stories more enjoyable when Harry has to work to develop his skills. After all, it wouldn't be much of a journey if you started at the end. Also, you mentioned some faltering moments in the fic. I'd love to hear where you thought the story bogged down. This is my first fic, so any feedback I get will only help to improve my writing going forward.

mielterron - Thanks. As I mentioned, I started with a very canon Harry and have been working to unpussify him since. I hope to show his maturation in a believable way. To answer your question, I do plan on putting a pairing into the story. I was thinking of Harry/Ginny. H&RJIBO(...
    Sorry, I guess even joking about that is enough to cause a minor stroke. Seriously, it will be Harry/Susan Bones, although it won't really kick off till about chapter 10 or so. I have what I hope are some good ideas for the pairing however I can only hope to approach the high standard that authors like jbern and cubdom have set for this ship.

Wetnurse - Thanks. As I've mentioned before, the mass obliviation in chapter 1 was rather cheap on my part. Once the story is finished, I plan on going back and re-editing it and this is one of the areas I plan to address. However, the part in chapter 3 where Dumbledore tells Snape the Prophecy will remain. At this point, Snape had already lifted knowledge of it from Arthur's mind. Dumbledore, figuring that incomplete knowledge could be damaging in this case, simply shared the exact wording with him. Dumbledore in my story is not perfect and this was another way for me to illustrate that point. While I hope that most of the cringe worthy points of the story are behind me, in the future I would suggest that you refrain from banging your head on the monitor. If I may be so bold, try slamming your hand in a desk drawer. I'd hate to see you damage your monitor because of my story.

I should have the next chapter out in the next few days.

7. DarckRedd

DarckRedd Squib

Someone needs to write Harry Potter and the Pick of Destiny.

8. Hahukum Konn

Hahukum Konn Fourth Year

I've read this fic as well and I didn't think it was bad at all; I've had my fill of "manipulative-evil-awful-Dumbledore" fics and so I appreciate fics that try to give a more balanced and nuanced view of the dynamics between Dumbledore and Harry. There have been some incredible fics with a grandfatherly-type Dumbledore (semprini's fics on Schnoogle come to mind) and this is proof that abusing the post-OotP cliche is not necessary to attract story fans. :)