1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the World that Waits by dellacouer - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Raggerd, Jul 15, 2008.

1. LuxDragon

LuxDragon Fourth Year

Not the first time she snuck into the mansion.

2. talon

talon Squib

I was actually surprised that an X-men crossover has worked well so far. I liked this new chapter but it is kind of hard to believe that Professor X falls for Mystique's trick twice in a row. After Liberty Island the X-men saw her on tv so I don't understand how Xavier hasn't come up with a way to stop Mystique from infiltrating. The author should have introduced Harry to Magneto in a different way.

Still 4/5

talon

3. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Newest chapter seems to be a resolution one. Getting Harry to realize where he is. Characterization of the X Men students was really well done. Harry's ambivalence seems to have an expiration date on it, which I am very happy about. I understood the whole madness thing but I won't be sad if it fizzles away fully.

I do have a critique below from the latest chapter, only gripe from the update really.

Mystique as Rogue part was written strangely. It was from Mystique's point of view but it was written as 'Rogue walked through...etc.' If it was written from the students' point of view who saw Rogue walk through then it would make sense, and then the writer could switch POV to say Mystique had used the red-haired/southern girl 's form before to infiltrate the school.

Remind me, isn't Dr. Strange part of the greater verse that X-Men belong to? That would mean magic does exist, not to mention Scarlet Witch. From what I vaguely recall Xavier is aware of Dr. Strange - though we haven't seen him in the movies and this story seems to be based on those.

How would Harry fare against Dr. Strange or Scarlet Witch? Anyone more familiar than me with Marvel verse want to take a stab at that?

4. LuxDragon

LuxDragon Fourth Year

This is based more off the movies than the comic books. For all intents and purposes, magic doesn't exist.

5. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

This story is very quickly becoming my favourite WIP. I expected Harry to wind up being classed as a mutant in this universe, with magic being the potter universe manifestation of the X Factor gene. Reality manipulation with minor telepathy would end up being his mutant power and a fairly decent (if insubstantial) plot would follow in which the X-Men were convinced that Harry was a delusional mutant, while Harry desperately tried to track down the magical world to prove to the X-Men - and himself - that he wasn't batshit insane.

I liked what happened in chapter 6 so much more. In my mental filing system, World that Waits has just gone from 'crossover with potential' to 'good crossover with huge potential for being awesome'. I hope the author can their own story justice.

Not all good, though... Xavier's casual acceptance of Harry is annoying me. I've always seen Professor X as being more... I guess 'protective' isn't quite the right word, but I hoped he'd be a little less Dumbledore about something as foreign as Harry is proving to be.

Doctor Strange is absolutely a part of the greater Marvel comic universe. I don't recall him being mentioned in the movies, but his name could easily have been hidden in Stryker's files in X-Men 2. If Strange exists then he is to magic what The Hulk is to super strength. He's the Sorcerer Supreme. You do not fuck with him. Harry would get schooled.

Scarlet Witch kind of depends on which continuity you read. In some she's just a mutant with the power to manipulate probability by shooting energy at things. Harry could probably do well against that. In others she's an all powerful witch wielding chaos magic provided by a demon God who lives in a mountain. She stripped the powers of millions of mutants all over the planet. At the same time. Harry wouldn't stand a chance.

6. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

It's a good question.

From what I understand, Dr. Strange is the only one who taps into what could be considered 'magic' - utilizing spells and incantations. Scarlet Witch's mutation allows her direct manipulation of probability, although the spell has to hit a target to take affect as opposed to instantly happening.

In essence, she shoots probability bolts...yeah it's strange. I could be wrong though; Jenkins is the one to ask.

EDIT: @Eldee: Strange isn't a mutant, so why would he show up in Stryker's files?

7. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

The Movies are based off of the comics, which means that you cant really say that magic doesn't exist it just wasn't covered in the movies.

8. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

Eh... I figure a government organisation like Stryker's would be interested in any kind of metahuman, even if only to help in tracking any mutants they associate with. Spider-Man, Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America... not mutants, but they've all teamed up with them on occasion.

9. della_couer

della_couer Second Year

Who even decided to include magic among mutation in the first place. I'm still of the mind that a fantasy writer snuck into a sci-fi story. Either that or the X-men writers got bored of trying to develop plausible mutations. Not that I can blame them, bloody hard to do. Try thinking up a super power, one that is useful, that hasn't already been implemented by one fictional character or another. Wikipedia actually has an amazing list.

10. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Yada, yada, yada. I'm loving this as much as everyone else. The characterizations of the other x-folks and Harry especially.

Agreed on the slight off-ness of the Mystique POV thing. But I think Xavier's been pretty good. My impression of his character, based on the movies, is that he has nearly unending patience and a sincere genuine desire to help all troubled children/people (even if they're not really mutants). In the comics, we've seen a bit more of a ruthless side to him. I suspect that until he feels Harry is a danger or a threat to them, he will essentially permit Harry to guard his own secrets. So far, Harry's done nothing but help.

As for Xavier's reluctance to believe in magic... I think della's handled it pretty reasonably. Same thing with the idea of Dr. Strange as sorcerer supreme. This is a world filled with mutations and supernatural powers of an entirely different sort.

I'm inclined to think Dr. Strange could school Harry, particularly in this world, but it's not so cut and dry. Harry's magic is unlike anything in this world, and possibly unlike any of the magic in this world. Were Dr. Strange to cross over into JKR's world, I might give the edge to Harry in an all out duel.

But from the look of this fic, I have doubts we'll be seeing any other marvel characters or touch on the idea of other mutated forms of magic. Sticking to the x-men and mutants seems like enough.

Though I can't help but to wonder when and where Sirius, another capable wizard may come into the plot. I'm not even one hundred percent certain he will be a factor (but I think he will).

Just for discussion's sake, anyone got any ideas on what the title refers to? "The World that Waits"? Could we be venturing back to Harry's original world and it's on hold? Not so sure. Or is this new world the one that waits? I've no idea at the moment, but it's another thing I'm very curious about.

Fantastic, excellent, brilliant, etc... For me this fic turned the corner into 5/5 without question after chapter 4. I had my solid fangirl moment gushing about it then. You don't need to hear it again.

11. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Well since I was thinking about magic in Marvel verse, I did have a thought that it could be the magical world of Marvel verse that 'waits.'

If it is based on the movies then one can say Dr. Strange and his kind haven't made contact with Xavier, and Harry might become the trigger that brings those two 'worlds' together.

On the other hand the comics definitely were very inclusive with things like prophecy, seeing the future, dimension walkers, etc, etc. So it could be that Harry is the key or the final piece that heralds some new event in, or is sought out by those of Marvel verse who have these mystical powers. In which case they could be the ones 'waiting' for him.

I think I rambled.

Looking at Dr. Strange on wiki it seems his powers are all over the place. One fact is obvious that he is dead strong but the nature of his powers have been rewritten and interpreted so many ways its really up to whoever is writing to retcon something or make up new stuff. I think in a duel between them it really would come down to who can surprise the other first. But if the duel gets prolonged the likelihood of Strange winning goes up just by being on the home ground and being more magical than Harry.

At least that's what I have been able to gather.

12. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've never read the comics (I'm not a comic-book kind of guy) but the idea of magic in the X-Men world sounds painful. Harry having magic only works because he's not native to the world. Someone else having magic? I just wouldn't be able to swallow it.

However, if one were to include this Dr Strange fellow, a link to the Lestranges could be potentially interesting.

13. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

The newer chapter was an interesting development and a believable addition to the rest of the storyline.

14. Yume Deli

Yume Deli First Year

I'm not really into the x-men movies (and I wonder if they even HAVE the comics were I live.), but even with that this was a pleasure to read. And one of the better written crossovers.

So a 5/5 from me.

15. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

That was unexpectedly good. I disregarded this story many times because of "x-men crossover" in summary, but it turned out to be written amazingly well. Overall 4.5/5 and 6/5 in x-men crossovers category.

16. sumwhriblong

sumwhriblong Sent Back to India

Updates ?

Recently read this story and was surprised that the author managed to pull of a very good x-men xover.
    The updates are slow but the overall plot is very good. Cant wait to see how Harry deals with Stryker character. Most of the x-men crossover i have read are in the comic verse and that is not too appealing to me at least.
    Hoping that the updates get quicker ;)

17. Sledgehammer

Sledgehammer Second Year

Ah, the X-Men movies...

I guess crossing HP with the movies was the only way to go, since nobody native to the X-movies can have super-powers without actually being a mutant (I hereby refer everyone to Lady Deathstrike and the crime against humanity that was the Juggernaut).

At least this way, Harry gets to be appreciated for his super-special awesome chocolate-coated foil-stamped special-edition magic powers that no one else can hold a candle to.

18. LuxDragon

LuxDragon Fourth Year

For anyone interested, new chapter up. Just some fillers and groundwork. Bit of a cliffhanger at the end. I'm thinking the story will pick up again soon.

19. AntiChrist

AntiChrist Professor

Nice enough update. Not too much action but it tied up some of the events of previous chapters and began to set up a new story arc. However, I'm not sure I like the idea of having more wizards coming through as that just somehow removes some of the novelty the Harry has in that world. Looking forward to the next chapter.

20. Apothem

Apothem Third Year

From Dellacouer's page:

News Regarding World that Waits Update. The current chapter is almost done, but my computer has experienced some problems and I won't be able to finish until I have it repaired. Thankfully I back-up my documents, so no work was lost, but it will take some time.

Please be understanding, I work three jobs and sadly fanfiction doesn't pay my bills.