1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter-Blackest Night?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by ZeroNull, Aug 7, 2009.

1. ZeroNull

ZeroNull Squib

For those of you who do not know what the Blackest Night is, it is the current story arc in the Green Lantern line of comics. In Blackest Night, there is a giant war raging across the universe, with all of the Lantern Corps involved (Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, and Violet). However, one of the "Guardians of the Universe", the Green Lantern's executive body, has gone crazy.

The Guardian, named Scar, is constantly writing in something called the "Book of the Black", which is basically the Bible of the "Black Lanterns", who have only one requirement for recruitment, being dead.

While I was reading this, my mind went to the Harry Potter fandom for some reason, and I was wondering how a crossover would turn out. Have Voldemort possibly be resurrected as a Black Lantern, which would be pretty damn cool since in the comics, the highest seen power level of the Black Lanterns is roughly .01%, and they wipe the floor with anyone who gets in their way.

Harry would of course have to receive some kind of intergalactic aid, whichever Lantern Corps it comes from, and have him try to stop him nemesis once again.

I think that this could be an interesting fic, one that I know I am no where near advanced enough to write.

Any thoughts?

2. Paimon

Paimon That fucking cat

Haha oh wow.

3. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Oh, Good Lord. Harry Potter in DC. Against Lanterns.

4. Portus

Portus Heir

As a general rule, I don't read crossovers, as I don't have time to get up to speed on other fandoms to keep from being lost as far as who's made up and who's from the other fandom and whatnot, but since I read loads of comics as a kid I have a general idea of Green Lantern.

Still, what are all these other Lantern Corps? ROY G. BIV, seriously? All the colors of the rainbow! And to top it off, there's the bad guy from The Lion King making a mess of things as well. It's obviously been a long time since I read any Green Lantern. I guess Hal whatever-his-last-name-was is not Green Lantern anymore?

5. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

I am kind of disturbed that there is different colors than the Green Lantern.

6. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

I always thought that Green Lantern was sort of a goofy super-hero to begin with... Like, how could Batman and a guy who flies around summoning giant hammers with his alien powers exist in the same universe?

EDIT: Harry would have to wear spandex.

EDIT AGAIN: Wait, wait, VOLDEMORT would have to wear spandex! I change my mind, this would be an awesome idea.

7. BadVoodoo

BadVoodoo Sixth Year

There was always Sinestro and the Sinestro corps which are basically Yellow Lanters and Star Saphire who was essentially a Violet Lantern.

Adding more colors isn't that big of a stretch.

8. jts360

jts360 Second Year

What if instead there is no lantern corps, all have been wiped out in Harry's reality, only a single ring exists that contains all the power of the long dead planet Oa.

Sometime in the distant past the ring was found by dark wizards, such as slytherins ancestors, they could detect its power but not use it so they sealed it away, later Salazar stored it in the Chamber of Secrets to keep it from light wizards, it would remain hidden with the Basilisk acting as an anchor to seal it away.

As such in Harry's second year with the defeat and death of the Diary and Basilisk, the ring is unsealed and scans Harry. Yup Harry + ring = Unbound Harry fic.

The rings power is different to magic and as such it does not make him as super wizard, gives him no added magic or magical knowledge (though it could include a vast amount of information and AI).

It could help him unlock and focus whatever magical power he does have. Do things such as protect his mind and anything a green lantern can basically do, just without the power limits they normally have.

Granted he would be able to do certain things normal wizards cannot, however he never was a normal wizard to begin with.

Another addition to this verse could be mixing it with the Stargate series and or Torchwood.

As to the idea of Voldemort with Lantern powers, eh no just no, first of all I think even without them he could normally easily beat Harry and most wizards so why power him up further? Plus having all those different colors, seems too much like power rangers (shudders).

9. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

The only way I would like this story.

Voldemort finds the ring and the only way he will get super powers is get a super suit.
    He then fails in his war due to no one treating him seriously after he kills Harry in said suit.

10. BloodRedSword

BloodRedSword High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I can picture this:
    Voldemort - Sinestro Corp member
    Bellatrix - Red Lantern
    Dumbledore - Blue Lantern
    Ginny - Star Sapphire(Extremely disturbing)
    Slughorn - Orange Lantern(Next to impossible)
    Harry Potter - Green Lantern(Doubtful given his actions in the last 3 books)

11. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Terribly.

/thread.

Seriously, wtf.

12. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

From what I remembered from GL comics I read a billion years ago, the power of the ring was pretty much limitless. A GL would only be limited by his imagination, hence the hammer, the big fist that grabbed things, and a bubble(shield) that could float, go underwater, in space, etc. Apparently GL's had fairly small imaginations. And lastly it couldn't work on anything yellow... for some really stupid reason.

I'm sure the rules have changed in between what I'm sure have been 15 retcons along the way.

GL never challanged himself beyond the mundane.

The only thing I would be interested in seeing is the HP power up oath when he sticks his ring in the lantern.

Hal Jorden oath:
    In brightest day, in blackest night,No evil shall escape my sightLet those who worship evil's might,Beware my power... Green Lantern's light!Come on... is there any really messed up individual that can make a decent/decadent Harry Potter oath outta this?

13. Philly Homer

Philly Homer What you call elephant cum I call mouthwash

Geoff Johns had done an absolutely amazing job with his current run on the Green Lantern comics. In fact, everything leading up to Blackest Night has been absolutely brilliant. However, I just don't don't think a HP/Blackest Night crossover would truly work to the potential it has.