1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter fics which have aged well

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Alexx of Arabia, Jan 29, 2022.

1. Alexx of Arabia

Alexx of Arabia Streetshitter

I recently tried to read A Summer of Change and The Lie I've Lived and they haven't aged well. Both would be 2.5 rated if they came out now. Is there any old fic which has aged well.

2. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Most stories are very much products of their time and the zeitgeist of the FF at the time.

There are some standouts that are a combination of 1. innovation + mechanical skill from the author that can stand the test of time, but that's far and few in between.

For most people it comes down to the nostalgia attached to a story if they go back to read it.

3. Mr. Mixed Bag

Mr. Mixed Bag Seventh Year

“Aged well” in this instance also seems to include a lot of subjectivity and personal taste. Lie I’ve lived is one of my favorite fics. Reread it not too long ago, liked it just as much as I did years before. The technical writing quality is extremely solid and it has an actually thought through plot which alone puts it ahead of so many things out there today.

I suspect more of what your asking is “are there any old stories that I would enjoy,” and the only way to answer that is for you to try them and see.

4. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

The Black Comedy by nonjon is still fun read. Even after all this time.

5. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

The DeathArch trilogy. I think it's aged extremely well. 15+ years later and no one has really explored the same concepts it has, at least not in the same epic scope.

6. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

I re-read that (relatively) recently and some of the humor is definitely more childish and dated than I remember. That said, it was still a fun read. Brown Coat, Green Eyes on the other hand, is still probably one of my favorites of his, even if you'd think the same humor issues are there.

7. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Speaking of Nonjon, I just re-read Brown Coat, Green Eyes. Still just as enjoyable.

I think I've read that particular story like 6 times since it came out. It just works for me.

8. Alexx of Arabia

Yeah I don't think I'm in the edgy independent dark phase anymore to enjoy the stuff I once did. Recently tried to read The Fifth element and Renegade Cause and I couldn't. Maybe I have moved on too much to get back in to HP. I also find fan fiction lacking in the face of famous fantasy books.

9. Alexx of Arabia

Sword of hero series by Joe. Blown my mind back in 2010 but after reading WOT it's clear Joe was extremely inspired by it and lot of concepts in that fic are from WOT.