1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter Misconceptions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Skeletaure, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I honestly can't remember what most of my misconceptions about this book were at this point since it's been so long since I was disabused of them.

I do recall having trouble figuring out how to say Hermione until it was explained to Viktor in GoF. I remember thinking that the cover of PS/SS looked "stupid" and made me think that the book was stupid and for children and that I wasn't going to bother with it (and didn't until about four years after that).

Otherwise I'm sure I had misconceptions but I've read the books so many times, read so much fanfic, and spent so much time here that... yeah, I don't even remember anymore.

2. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Harry's catching a snitch, flying a broom, and showing us his 'O' face in one complete package. What's not to like?

3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's amazing how the covers influence us. Even after all the movies, I still picture Harry as he's depicted on the UK cover of Philosopher's Stone:

[​IMG]

Though with less extreme curtains lol. And messier hair. But the face is totally how I picture him.

Oh, I just remembered another hilarious one: the way I imagined wands. When I first read the books, I imagined the wands like this:

[​IMG]

Because I was really into my Lego.

But then I realised that those wands were silly. Of course they looked like this:

[​IMG]

The actual proper wooden wand image didn't occur to me until around the time I read PoA, I think.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  4. Constans

Constans Sixth Year DLP Supporter

It took me about 5 reading to understand who conjured the Patronus in Prisoner of Azkaban.

Weirdly, I got all the pronunciations right...

5. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Reading your posts, I wonder if you were thinking of Cair Paravel, from the Narnia books?

I was already familiar with the name Hermione. For one, there was Hermione Gingold, who was in Bell, Book and Candle, with Kim Novak and Jimmy Stewart.

6. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

Spells. I've spent entirely too many years reading fanficiton, and there are certain spells that are used so widely I'm constantly surprised when I find out they actually are never mentioned in the books.

7. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

Rufus Scrimgeour: For whatever reason, my eyes switched the m and the g, so I've since, and still pronounce it scrig-more, rather than scrim-jer.

When I watched the DH movies, it was really jarring to hear Hermione say "scrim-jer" and I was all like, "wtf, you stupid bitch! It's SCRIG-more." Then I went back and checked the book and was like, "well, now I feel dumb."

8. Ched

I think I spent a lot of time assuming that McGonagall was in the Order.

9. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

10. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

I always thought the Philosopher's Stone and the Resurrection Stone were the same thing. No idea why.

11. KillerEggLord

KillerEggLord Third Year

A lot of the pronunciation things I'm guilty of,

One I haven't seen is that I've pronounced Flitwick as Filtwick and McGonagall as McGongall.

The funniest one I can remember though is just as I was introducing the books to my little brother, we were talking about how he couldn't believe that anyone thought that Harry was the heir of CEE-rin-th. By which he meant Slytherin.

12. FranticArmoire

FranticArmoire Muggle

I skimmed over descriptions when I first read PS/SS and pictured Dumbledore as being in his thirties and clean shaven for quite a while. I also mispronounced 'Hermione' as 'Hermy-one' and 'Hermy-oh-nee' until I saw the first movie, despite having read the fourth book with Hermione's mini pronunciation lesson.

Now for a misconception I thought I had but actually didn't-- When the first movie came out, I was surprised by the Hogwarts uniforms and assumed that I'd, as usual, skimmed over the text describing them. After seeing the movie I reread the book and only then realized I hadn't missed anything, and that they were only canon in the movies.

13. Kyouzou

Kyouzou First Year

Taure's image of a wand fits mine perfectly, I was so surprised when I watched the Sorcerer's Stone. I am also one of the people who read enough commonly used fannon spells to mistake them for canon, the Notice-me-not was one I think.

14. Ched

My image of a wand was always simply a polished stick. Not carved, not with a handle, not with anything fancy. Just a straight, smooth (as if it had been sanded and polished) stick.

15. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    There's some debate over that; the UK artwork shows him in movie style uniform (at least on PS), and that's certainly the image I have of them in my head - shirt and trousers, maybe a jumper, underneath something more like a choral cassock than the traditional wizard robes. I know that there's a couple of bits in the text that suggest it's robes and nothing beneath it, but eh.

This. I quite like the idea of more individual wands, but I still just think of them like this for the most part.

16. kalespr

kalespr Fourth Year

Perhaps not, but you can bet that almost every classics teacher everywhere is a hardass about pronunciation. To this day I still flinch whenever someone makes the c's in latin soft, expecting the sharp rap of a pointer or yard stick, quickly followed by the deep voiced rant-chant of my classics teacher giving a four minute diatribe about why the person who just did that is a moron and should give up on any dreams of college.

...to be fair, it's a fact included the very first lesson of not only his Latin class, but his classics, philosophy, English, AND history classes.

And inevitably some wise-ass tried to counter his diatribe with "But the Church does it!", and a half-hour of hilarity ensued.

OT, I too pictured wands as more basic, and often even not "straightened out" but following the natural twists and turns of branches, and such. Certainly none of that posh comfort grip handle-laden nonsense in the movies. ;)

I suppose the biggest misconception is that I had thought I was reading a youth fantasy in a modern fairy-tale style, but the later books disabused me of that notion.

17. Pieman

Pieman Seventh Year

I'm still not sure if they wear those pointed hats.

18. Augustine

Augustine First Year

When I was much younger and I had skimmed read the first book I was under the impression that Dumbledore looked closer to this guy - link - who appeared on the back of my version - apparently it isn't a depiction of an actual character but after I realized it wasn't Dumbledore it became my version of a generic wizard

19. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Exact same here. They actually redid that back cover to depict Dumbledore in the next version - presumably a lot of people thought it was him too.

20. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

I never thought of him as Dumbledore, but for some very strange reason he was my mental images for Remus and Fudge, alternatively.