1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Harry Potter: The Denarian Renegade by Shezza88 - M - Dresden Files

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Burn, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Awesome story. I didn't need to read The Dresden Files in order to understand it, which is a big plus in my eyes. And because Shezza wrote it, it's extremely well written and characterized. Even the chapters with not much happening in them have had me enthralled. The fighting scenes, once again since they were written by Shezza, are way above the norm. All in all, very nice, Shezza.

5/5 most definitely. Highly recommended read.

2. Kage_Tenshi

Kage_Tenshi Guest

I know only as much about Dresden as I can pick p from half a chapter of Demon's Feign, Merlin's Pain and this, but the story is awesome. Keep up the good writing. 5/5

And I wholly support the Harry/Maeve Idea.

That said, on a semi-related note, update your WoT stories, Shezza!

3. Wandererdown

Wandererdown Guest

Awsome Story. Shezza, you are a great author and i salute you for it! I've been a fan of the Dresden files for awhile and this story flows into the universe very smoothly with only a few overlookable bumps. to me, it's as harry is to the Denarians as Malcone is to most organized gangs. He's not EVIL, but he's not good. More along the lines of a punisher character more than anything.

4. Blackstar

Blackstar Second Year

This story is excellent, Ive never heard of the Dresden Files before but your story has certainly peaked my interest..

The-Boy-Who-Lived suspected of being a woman beater.. Hilarious xD

5. Annalus

Annalus Muggle

I can't be the only one who understands how unbelievably awesome a Harry/Amanda pairing would be. Imagine the Family get togethers with two Knights of the Cross and one Denari dating one of their daughters.

6. fantasyfreak

fantasyfreak Fifth Year

Yeah this is a great fic and I also think that a Harry/Amanda pairing would be cool.

7. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

It would certainly be interesting, but it could also detract from the story like so many other romances tend to do. If Shezza's got it planned, fine; but if not, he shouldn't go out of his way.

8. fantasyfreak

fantasyfreak Fifth Year

Yeah I agree that romances tend to take over storys but if it's planned right it could be a nice small side plot.

9. Wergan

Wergan Third Year

I can see where you are coming from about romances taking away from the story but in all truth I'm a romantic so I'm all for it. I also think it would be intresting, hey dad, yea my boyfriend is your sworn enemy... Be interesting especially since Harry isn't exactly evil.

I kinda also like how this story portrays the element of being 'grey' much better then any I have seen before. Most its just using black arts and killing for the light, where as in this its so much more.

10. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Dude, Shezza. Make it Harry/Charity/Cessbulby.

You know you want to.

11. odonata617

odonata617 Guest

the latest chapter, wherein harry fights the drakon, has to be one of the finest action sequences in fanfiction i have ever read. bloody brilliant! and, based on an earlier comment, it looks like maeve is going to get something to remember harry by. oh well. still, an impressive tour de force!

12. zUzaque

zUzaque Seventh Year

Which Dresden books does this fic contain spolers to?

13. Klael

Klael Headmaster DLP Supporter

I'm actually a little surprised that no one pointed out: It's the DENARIAN Renegade. Not Denarius.

Not important. Loving the story. Good luck on your exams!

14. japanese_jew

japanese_jew High Inquisitor

This is an absolutely fantastic story. I held out for a while because I wasn't very familiar with the DF universe, but after I passed the third chapter, I just couldn't stop. Definitely my favorite of Shezza's works to date.

15. Xipheon

Xipheon First Year

And it's updated!

I liked the chapter, the scene with Dumbledore was interesting..

16. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Uh, Xipheon, do you not read the chapter scenes as they come out in Work By Author? o_o

17. Xipheon

Xipheon First Year

Ah, hehe. No, I don't actually.. don't know why really, suppose it's easier to keep track of fics if I don't..

Hmm.. sorry ;)

18. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

Excellent. Truly my favorite Harry crossover. Easy to follow even without not even having heard of the Dresden Files. The OC characterizations are decent, Amanda/Harry being the only OC/Harry "pairing" I've ever found even marginally tolerable (Amanda/Harry exceeds "good" so far [and if it actually comes to fruition]). I chuckle a bit at Harry's antics too, which is a big plus for such a "serious" fic.

5/5, 10/10, a gold star, smiley face, etc.

19. Testament

Testament Seventh Year

I've been following this story since its early stages so it's about time I put a review in for it.

I don't have any constructive criticism since I can't find a flaw with this piece of art. Spelling/grammar is excellent, characterization of both Harry and the OC's is brilliant and the story itself flows perfectly. All in all this is a god of a fic in comparison to most of the other crap thats been floating around.

Pairings wise, while it would be interesting to see Harry/Amanda, I don't think it would work. Harry states it pretty clear to her that she's a bother, and his character doesn't seem the type to admit she is anything but. And while we are on the subject of pairings, I'm secretly rooting for Harry/Maeve or Harry/Meciel, not that it's likely hehe.

5/5

20. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

Right. First, to Shezza - Kudos. You are the second person that has ever written a crossover that I can both understand, and thoroughly enjoy, without being familiar with the crossover material. Nonjon's Firefly piece is the other. I've actually obtained the first nine Dresden books today, and look forwards to reading them - many thanks to you for pointing me towards a world I'll no doubt enjoy.

Now as far as the actual fic... I'd have to give it a 5, even though I dislike awarding them to fics. Characterization is consistent, which is what I look for in a fic (it's a fucking AU - characterization can't be spot on). I enjoy your writing style, and the "rewrite" aspect of it is interesting enough.

What factors truly keep my attention are the non-HP aspects. Harry/Meciel interaction is great, and Amanda is the only OC (unless she's from the Dresden series) that I've ever been able to tolerate. Her light-hearted refusal to just GTFO of Harry's life is amusing. Maeve interests me, but I don't see anything good (for Harry) occurring down that road.

As for romance? Please.

Don't.

The charm behind Harry/Amanda interaction is the "dislike" Harry has for her. It oddly reminds me of Rest in Peace, from BtVS (except the attraction is reversed - but the attraction/love aspect isn't the point I'm trying to draw from that comparison). Harry tells her to go away, yet - if she actually did just leave him alone - I get the feeling he'd miss her more than he'd admit. Romance between them could never truly work, because it would require Harry to 'soften', and that would just turn this story to shit. Plus... Meciel being catty about Amanda is just fucking priceless.

Harry/Cessbulby? Give me a break. Sexual innuendo aside.... lawl.

Harry/Charity? Maybe as a quick fuck, just to piss off Amanda or the knights - but... yeah. Won't happen, sadly.

Harry/Maeve? The most intriguing, yet... me no like. Harry is powerful - but the vibe I get from Maeve (I haven't read the novels) is that she's just an utter bitch, who would sooner use and discard Harry than actually offer him the power he seeks. I look forwards to future interplay between them, certainly - I just hope romance isn't part of that, beyond Maeve's 'teasing'.

And Meciel? She's in his fucking head - how much more intimate can you get? The love they share is similar to that of Parent/Child, not that of lovers - though...brings interesting Harry/Lily connotations to mind.

Is there a point to that little romance-rant? Probably not, besides begging you to keep romance very minimal, if a part of this fic at all. That point aside - I eagerly await the third task and it's aftermath.

Cheers.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007