1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Harry Potter: The Denarian Renegade by Shezza88 - M - Dresden Files

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Burn, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Nadino

Nadino Third Year

I haven't read anything of the Dresden Files series; so, can anyone tell me if I'll understand what's going on in this fic?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

No, you don't need to. The crossover isn't so much as a crossover as using ideas from the Dresden files. The main character of The Dresden Files, Dresden, doesn't once make an appearance.

For the parts that do have to do with the Dresden Files, Shezza explains quite thoroughly about what is going on.

3. nick012000

nick012000 First Year

Hehehe.

Time for Harry to learn about God's forgiveness?:twisted:

4. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Epic.

I havent read this up until a few days ago for a few reason. Firstly I wanted you to write the damn epilogue to Resistence of Azkaban before I moved on.

Also I dont like cross overs. I have yet to find one I like... until now. This is truely epic I don't even really class it as a cross over as it only really borrows ideas from what I have see. I haven't read the Dresdan files but I don't think that mattered at all. All the ideas you used were very well thought out and explained. Initally I worried about the demons as they usually power up a story to much and turn it to crap but the limitation you put on them even it out nicely and make sense which is a big plus.

I'm a reader who prefers character interaction over action most of the time and this story has a very nice mix of it. The intereaction between Harry and Mercil is nice to read and plays well. His respect/fear/admiration for Dumbledore also plays very well with the way you have built all of the characters.

I like Amanda and the level of involvement in the story she has. I dont want there to be a romance as i think that would go against the way you have made Harry. maybe in the future I could see it become... something but I doubt it would ever be a traditional relationship. I'm glad you didnt kill her off in the attack on Hogarts. Her interaction with Harry gives him a nice amount of humanity. With out it his character would seem a but 2D "Oh look at me the dark but not evil bad boy".

I have noticed very few errors through out the story. Over all I think I noticed maybe 20 mistakes in over 220,000 words. One thing I did notice is that in the Merman fight you refered to them as having legs... shouldnt they have tails?

Over all a very good read and the only new story I have read and like in fanfiction for a very long time.

For anyone who like me was not reading this because it is a cross over they know nothing about... dont worry it is very well done and needs no prior knowledge.

5. Snoopygore71

Snoopygore71 Squib

As Sree has pointed out this story using ideas from the Dresden Files, namely Michael Carpenter and Maeve.

I do not like crossovers per se and have stated this in my introduction. I read this story for the first time last week and was impressed by the characterisation, grammar and overall story content.

This is really a piece of work and the reason I joined DLP to find stories of this calibre. The interaction with the canon characters is absolutely hilarious, especially Hermione.

The true strength is that by using ideas from the Dresden Files, Shezza creates a more believable demon Harry that does not have a name like Kylen Eagle.

4.9999 recurring/5

I still have not found an avatar, Sree where do you get yours?

6. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Um, I just got a picture off the web and asked Die Ginny Die to make me one. o_O

7. [KS18]Raziel44

[KS18]Raziel44 Card Captored and buttsecksed

5/5 cos its awesome xD... i like the plot.. harry having the coin and all

8. mbond98

mbond98 Seventh Year

Wait a minute, 'denarius?' As in an adjective? I thought Denerian referred to denneri, Roman currency.

[​IMG]
    ^^Meciel, are you home?

PS Since Yak lacks imagination:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  9. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

wtf, mbond98?

The Denarian Renegade. Yes, it refers to the roman silver currency. Specifically, the same as was paid to Judas. I think that's what you're asking.

10. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

He's referring to the title of the thread, which is "Denarius" instead of "Denarian".

11. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Anyone heard from Shezza lately?

12. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Yep, talking to him now.

Don't expect much of him he's been lazy for ages.

13. holyhastes

holyhastes Raptured to Hell

Damn. That suck.

14. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Well, nice to know he's still around at least; since the updates on DK stopped right around the time Small Favor came out I was a touch worried that since the book added some information on Denarians that naturally didn't match up with what he has in his fic Shezza might have gotten a little discouraged.

15. Datakim

Datakim Chief Warlock

Yeah. Shezzas Denarian series is great. It would be a real shame if it would be abandoned. Hopefully it won't be and Shezza will be inspired to write more soon.

16. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Someone mentioned 'Denarius' and 'Denarii'. Just FYI, a Denarius was a Roman coin, made of silver. The Roman coinage system was Aureus (gold), Quinarius Aureus, Denarius, Quinarius, Sestertius, Dupondias (bronze), As (copper), Quadrans. Their values were, in that order, 1, 2, 25, 50, 100, 200, 400, 1600. 'Denarii' is just the plural of 'Denarius'. To put this into context, a Roman Legionaire could hope to earn about 20 Denarii or so a year.

For anyone who has not read DF, the Denarians are members of the Order of the Blackened Denarius. There are 30 of them, one for each of the 30 pieces of silver that Judas is given to betray Jesus in the Bible.

17. Methene

Methene Auror

Hear him for he speaks the truth. With slight errors however. A Legionary was paid prior to Julius Caesar's reign around 112 Denarii, while after around 250. Measly pay indeed. A high ranking centurion was payed 15,000 Denarii however.

The whole deal with Judas was that he betrayed Jesus for a very small sum, thus denoting his character and so on and so forth.

I would also very much like to see this continued...

18. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Loving this series, actually got me interested in the Dresden Files in the first place (which I'm now reading).

Can't wait for an update, left off at such a cliff hanger >_>.

19. Dethklok

Dethklok Order Member

The power of Christ compels him not to tell you.
    I too second the motion for Shezza to start writing, or he gets the hose again.

I would say that the concept and execution of Denarian Renegade is right up there with any of jbern's works, although the writing styles and tones are completely different.

Shezza, little boys who don't complete their 'Goddamn, that's good!' stories get paid a visit. And you don't want me visiting you. Not even my mother wants me visiting her. :)

20. holyhastes

holyhastes Raptured to Hell

Maybe he's working on his note to match small favor and change some of what there is to come. This is just maybe but it is a possibility. Havent found book 3- and up at my local library in french nor in english. I would like the name so I could buy em up at some store. And yes I'm talking about the real DF book.

thank in advance.

(disregard my grammar issu english is but my 3rd language.)