1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Harry Potter: The Last Avatar by The Sorting Cat - T - Avatar: The Last Airbender

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Tutorial Boss, Apr 8, 2013.

1. psychobob35

psychobob35 Fourth Year

Just a couriosity, but why is Book 1 Water?

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

In the TV show? Probably because it was the one he spent that season mastering.

3. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

I'd say he's referring to this:
    Though the same line of reasoning would apply if its the first other element he starts learning.

4. The Sorting Cat

The Sorting Cat Second Year

I wish I knew how to thumb up posts so I could thumb this up. So many people keep asking if Harry is the Avatar, and as I keep telling them: I'm not saying anything outright one way or another, but the title is a pretty big clue...

It's called Water because water is central to this first book in a number of ways - mostly because Harry is dealing with his fear of drowning and figuring out the reasons behind it. Here's some exclusive info I ain't ever revealed elsewhere: I'm aiming for three books, and none of the other book titles will be elements. Book 2 will be called Blood.

5. psychobob35

psychobob35 Fourth Year

Thank for answering, I was confused about that.

Love your story so far.

6. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

I've been loving this so far, It's the only Avatar story I've ever bothered to read.

7. Ched

;)

I think you need a certain number of posts before you can give thumbs-ups, at which point there will be a tiny picture of a thumbs-up in the bottom of the posts you read (up to 5 a day iirc).

Cheers, and thanks for writing and coming over here to comment/participate.

8. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Now if only we could get confirmation that the Harry/Luna bullet will be dodged, that'd be great.

Oh yeah, welcome, great story etc etc

9. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

I personally like it. I've never had any interest in the Avatar universe, having never seen the show/shows/movie, but there was enough back story explained -- sans infodump -- where it could easily be understood. I keep waiting chapter after chapter for it to jump the shark, but it never does.

I don't mind the Luna cliches because she's not a constant figure trailing Harry around like an omniscient googly-eyed love interest. So far I'm not seeing any love interest, so it might as well be Harry/Hand at this point.

One thing I do like is the characterizations. Very well done.

If you've never been involved in the Avatar universe then it's a really fresh take on the HP-verse.

4.5 for now seeing as it's moving a little slow for me. 95,000+ words and it's just now reached the GOF scene. Granted, the author had to start over from virtual scratch to explain the new world and the last three years without massive infodumps.

Well worth a look.

10. Ched

What bullet?

11. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:

Welcome to DLP. We're intimidating, but that's because our standards (for stories and members) are High. But don't worry about it, from what I've seen and read, I'm pretty sure you'll have little trouble meeting them.

On to the story, and questions therein.

How far into Book 1 would you say we are? And what's your overall wordcount goal for the story? As it is, it's shaping up to be quite a monster.

I believe you have to have more than 50 posts. Though uncertain of the number, I know there's a limit before we start letting people use the thumbs-up feature.

P.S. The cat in your avatar may say Ravenclaw, but I'm going to say Slytherin instead. That was a near perfect way to truly introduce yourself to DLP. Very cunningly shaped.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  12. The Sorting Cat

The Sorting Cat Second Year

Shit, does this mean I have to think of something other than a water skiing race across the lake - complete with Giant Squid Jumping - for the second task?

Cheers. I'm going with the old formula of one book = one year, so timewise we're about a third through Book 1. On the other hand I think the plot will move a lot faster from here on out, so in terms of word count we might be closer to halfway. And yeah, with two more books of similar length it gets pretty silly... But I'm also pretty diligent.

Might take a break between books and write something else, though. I have this Durmstrang story I can't get out of my head.

I'll take that as a compliment, but I still think I'm a Ravenclaw. Remember, Slytherin is the home of the Dark Lords that you know about. Ravenclaws? Oh, we just sit here and read books...

13. Tutorial Boss

Tutorial Boss Seventh Year

Slytherin. Most definately Slytherin. Much better than the poor gossipy excuses for Slytherins these days... then again, I like the front and obvious types so I can suck up to them before I stab them in the back.

Stabby stabby. I love it.

14. theronin

theronin Order Member

Stabbing is boring. Everything goes better with giant fireballs. Fuck subtlety. :fire

15. Infidel

Infidel Auror

I was getting a little irritated at the angst in the earlier chapters and am worried that it might pop up again later. The latest conversation between Luna and Harry seems to suggest that it will.

Other than that, it was a pretty fascinating story, mainly because of how the two worlds have been fused. One of the best parts about the story is the lack of any idea about how the story might proceed. While most of the fanfics rehash the original books with minor variations in the plot and major variations in the characters behavior, I have no idea whats going to happen here and it's refreshing. I would be happier with a little more detail on some of the characters. For example, it would be interesting to know more about Dobby and his kind in the castle.

Harry's departure from the room at the end of chapter 11 was in one word, awesome. Looking forward to more of that.

16. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

This so much. It reminds me of Prince of a Dark Kingdom or Lords of Magic. It's awesome how you managed to create a new world from those two universes and as someone who hasn't much experience with TLA, I'm taken.

4.5/5 for me, rounded to 5/5. I think it definitely needs a place in the library.

17. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think it needs to be updated where Harry realizes that he's the god damn Avatar before we decide to Library it.

18. Infidel

Infidel Auror

just thinking loud, the avatar has access to all the previous Avatar's memories, so can you imagine, if the last Avatar was killed as a kid, the memories you have access to are that of a baby screaming for food. Damn, that must be annoying.

19. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

And sucking on titties. Not so annoying.

20. chaosfire999

chaosfire999 Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

It seemed a little sledgehammer-y in execution but I did like the way Harry dislikes the "Two Avatars" film, presumably because of some instinctive grasp of how inaccurate they are. Nice touch.