1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Harry Potter: The Last Avatar by The Sorting Cat - T - Avatar: The Last Airbender

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Tutorial Boss, Apr 8, 2013.

1. psihary

psihary Groundskeeper

... I've got a polar bear for a neighbour...
    Just finished reading through what has been posted on ffnet, and I'm blown away. Probably the first HP fanfic story in months that grabbed my attention in such way.

It was said before, but I'll echo it one more time, superb work on the characters. 5/5 so far.

And an obligatory MOAR(just because you don't see it nowadays as much) :)

2. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

The story is a pretty darn good one so far, I'd say. I look forward to reading the rest of it. The way Chapter 11 ends makes me wonder what's next.

Edit to add: Just noticed that the last time I'd logged in to DLP was March 14, 2012 so it's been awhile since I last posted.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  3. Siflet

Siflet Third Year

end of chapter 11 is pretty boss.. just like "awww yea." levels of awesome.

4. Stormey

Stormey Groundskeeper

4/5 for me.
    Its pretty interesting, but the plot hasnt really moved yet.
    If it starts moving along a bit faster, as I hope it will, it can go up to 5/5.

5. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

This story is goddamn awesome. I am a huge fan of how you've adapted the universes to work together ... practically seamless.

6. Russano

Russano Disappeared

4.5/5 for me and likely to go up as the story progresses. Very interesting blend of the two worlds, and it doesn't require much Avatar knowledge to follow. Definitely something unique and worthwhile in a field of rehashed shit.

Problems? All my rage for Pussy!Harry. It's only for a couple chapters, but everytime he did his pitiful shame song and dance or cringed and had a panic attack around Crouch, I found myself WISHING that Crouch would actually just ahead and fucking drown him and put him out of his misery. Luckily it only lasts for a little while, and I like the new Harry Potter so much more. His Ch.11 exit being especially noteworthy.

Luna and Nargles - Dear Lord did I DESPISE chapter 5 and everything else with Luna. I fucking absolutely hated it. It was confusing, disjointed, and I kept having to switch to skimming the section instead. I feel bad for reading it, and you should feel bad for writing it. I hated it that much. The only reason I didn't stop reading entirely after putting up wtih Pussy!Harry and Luna was because you specifically said out of story that it would get better. (which isn't something I should have to read.) And also because of this DLP thread.
    But I am glad I kept reading because this feels like it's shaping up to be one excellent story.

Just keep Luna the fuck away from me.

7. Stormey

Stormey Groundskeeper

I`m actually looking forward to more Luna.

8. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

Quick question about this: I'm only at chapter 4 atm. I'm a huge ATLA/LOK fan and obviously a HP fan, but Harry's weakness is kind of a turn off to me.

Is there going to be a lot more of this being a really huge underdog or does he improve relatively soon? I'm not too interested in continuing this if it's going to be like reading Neville, despite the great concept and technical quality of the writing.

9. purple

purple Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

He should be getting a power spike relatively soon.

10. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    He does improve in what's there. We still have yet to see the 'big reveal'. But it can't be too far off. Don't worry, keep reading. It gets better.

11. Sigurd

Sigurd DA Member

The two universes are melded together rather deftly; I didn't think it would be possible. Despite Harry starting out weak it's still appealing, and that seems like it should be remedied shortly.

It's occasionally jarring to see European names in the Asian setting, but you get used to it. Mostly.

4/5 from me.
    <script type="text/javascript">onbeforeunload = function() {};</script>

12. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

It certainly did pick up at chapter four and this duality of Harry's personality reminds me of a RDJ Sherlock Holmes fight, which was great.

I really disliked the first few chapters (because Ron as a big jock on campus?) but after that it's really improved and become something I look forward to seeing more of.

The early chapters, however, did awaken the old hermione fanboy in me surprisingly, and I want to see more of her and Harry interacting, which is something I haven't wanted since like 2005.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  13. IdSayWhyNot

IdSayWhyNot Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Dunno what's all the bitching about weak Harry. You don't need to be over 9000 to be interesting. The author paces the change quite well and it's mostly seamless. Don't know if I would've used Nargles as the block but it works.

Fight scenes are good. Mad-Eye is fantastic and most characterizations are brilliant. Jock Ron doesn't bother me; fits quite well, I think.

Excellent story. First time I see a crossover between these two done so well. 5/5

14. TripticWriter

TripticWriter Groundskeeper

A lot of things in the story piss me off, I won't expand on them since they nearly all have been discussed. Except maybe the relationship between Harry and his parents, mainly James, which I don't like and don't bought.
    Sooo... Up to chapters 6 the story was painful for me to read (and I am not being over dramatic), I just don't do neurotic protagonist. But I shouldered on, based on the glowing reviews of the board and the fact that I enjoyed everything else in the story.

I was certainly rewarded for my perseverance. The story takes its time, maybe too much, but it really picks up and I think that everybody should read it. It's by far the best and cleverest use of the The Avatar universe and chances are that you are less bothered by weak-minded protagonist than me.

At least a 4/5.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  15. Venocity

Venocity First Year

I also find the bitching about a weak protagonist to be pretty amusing - a coward can be interesting to follow, and I personally find enjoyment in watching characters grow and develop, and this story certainly delivers. I suppose some people can't stand that, though, but I'm not one of them.

It's very engaging, and I do like the absolute mind-trip Harry is going through. Mental struggles are enjoyable to me.

4.5/5, with the possibility of expanding to a 5.

16. psihary

psihary Groundskeeper

... I've got a polar bear for a neighbour...
    What I don't understand is why everybody keeps on labeling this Harry a coward, when he is everything but. I got the idea that he has been a pretty normal kid, actually the dueling champion in his first year, and then the events in the chamber of secrets have created the nargles or at least set him on the path of creating them.

His fear of drowning and that of Crouch's face, while probably would be more typical for a kid several years younger, is a very real stress issue developed after a traumatic situation. Clearly James, his father, failed to see it for the problem it was and most importantly what caused it, and took it upon himself that his kid has to be more confident and was encouraging him to be more open, or in other words more like the James we know from the books.
    The problem with his treatment is that in the end it did more damage than actually helping his son's issue.

That's at least how I read it.

17. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

This ^

People are just so used to Super!Harry fighting the entire world without a wand, using only the power of his harem's lust for him. When in "reality" he's surrounded by people that are actually stronger or more talented than him since he's just a fourteen year old kid with powers that he barely has control of.

It's pretty to think that you'd be strong enough to battle every single foe that comes against you, but it's highly unrealistic. Odds are you'd just have your ass handed to you... a lot. Kids with even half a brain hold their shit together until the odds are more even or are in their favor.

He has problems with his power, whatever it is. I frankly think he's just smart and biding his time until he has better control... you know, kind of like it is in the story.

18. TripticWriter

I really don't saw it like that, from what I read James seems to be an over stereotyped father figure that put too much emphasize on traits like strength, valor and honor. He even sounds prejudiced against non-benders. So while he loves his son, he also clearly feels ashamed of his weaknesses.

And that's not how I envision James Potter as a father figure, because he is not 15 anymore and from what we saw in canon he seems to become a pretty straight up guy after he "grew up". So yeah maybe in this world he is a completely different person, and that's alright if that's how the author want to write it, but it's doesn't mesh well with how I pictured it in my mind.

But that doesn't change the fact that there is clear incoherence in Harry's relation with his parents. Because we know that Harry wasn't always acting so reserved and introverted. Up to second year he was exactly how James wanted his son to be. So, I just don't understand how James and Lily didn't figure that something was wrong with him, and more importantly I don't get why Harry didn't open himself to them. I really feel like the author forget that this Harry isn't an orphan that grew up with peoples that despised him, but with parents that loved him dearly. So there is really no reason for him to distrust adults, and he was young enough to still feel the need to confide in them.

Frankly, I think that the author did a mistake in the characterization of Harry's parents, and I think he is completely aware of it as they are barely present in the story at all. And with how well all the others characters are done, I can't help but feel that he was just lazy and went for the easiest, most convenient way to have his parents out of the picture. Even if we take Lily character, she is just a pretty, loving mother. A complete wallflower character. It's kind of disappointing to have such major characters of the HP saga not done well, when we someone as Binns who become such a deep character.

19. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think what you're missing here is that people who go through traumatic experiences can have a very hard time opening up to anyone about it, because to them it's such a big deal. In my experience, a lot of the fear is of being judged for "not handling" the trauma well.

As far as this story, it's pretty great, and I agree with everyone else, the avatar reveal will make or break this story.

20. TripticWriter

Thank you for making my point... What you are saying, while true to some extent, is such an oversimplification of a complex phenomenon that it has absolutely no value. You say people, but what kind of people? What age, gender, background, etc? Again you are talking about traumatic experience. But what does it mean, what kind of experiences and what do you consider as traumatic?

If I am taking what you say at face value, does it mean that everyone react the same way to any events that can be considered as traumatic? Which, for you, means having a hard time opening up to anyone. It sound pretty far-fetched for me.

And that's why I think this part of the story wasn't well treated. Because there was no real description of how his family reacted to his change, and no real explanation of why he didn't felt comfortable talking about it with them.

And that's why I am calling the way the author did it a cop out, the easy way. Because, yes, everybody knows that people having traumatic experience become withdraw. I mean, seriously, who are you taking us for (yeah, it's sarcasm).

So no, I am not missing anything and I am also not bitching about something pointless for the sake of it. It's a very important part of the story that was gloss over for no reason, and in light of the rest of the story this lack of solid reasoning stand even more out. And that's what you have to understand, I am not trying to drag the story down. I like it very much, it's just that I think that this precise point isn't up to the high standard of the rest of the story.