1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Harry Potter: The Last Avatar by The Sorting Cat - T - Avatar: The Last Airbender

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Tutorial Boss, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

You mean during the conversation on the phone?

2. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Yes.

10/

3. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think part of it is he doesn't necessarily think he can please his father and he "totally doesn't want to" but he's only fourteen and as much as it grates him, he can't bring himself to yet again disappoint the father whose pride he used to enjoy so much. Also, James will hear anything serious not directly about him that Lily is told. Especially wonky shit like entries.

4. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Oh, I thought you mean that Harry not informing of his parents by owls (and now I realized how stupid I sound because they don't use owls in this crossover...damn that's just strange) before the phone call.

Meh, it didn't bother me that much. I was more worried about what was Crouch's game more than anything.

5. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

Now I'm imagining this !JockRon being played by Shia Labeouf.

I really like the Harry/Hermione interaction and I'm rooting for them, which I haven't done in a long time.

I was very disappointed for a moment when Crouch entered the room. With the tea set-up and Moody's announcement that someone else would be joining them, I was really, irrationally hoping for Iroh to walk through the door. He's the greatest character of the Avatar universe and it makes me sad that we won't see him due to the time period.

Really enjoyed the story though.

6. The Sorting Cat

The Sorting Cat Second Year

I think it makes a sort of sense to feel sorry for James, and I can see how it might feel unnatural that Harry doesn't explain the situation to them. But except for a brief moment with Lily, Harry isn't actually talking to his parents - he's trying to make sense of a strange and highly artificial situation. Not a great time for a heart-to-heart.

I also enjoy Iroh. Someone described my Moody as the anti-Iroh, which isn't too far off, in my mind.

True, but there's a fairly competent postal service. As you might imagine, Harry isn't too good about writing letters, and neither are his parents.

Next chapter will escalate the conflict between Harry and Ron and give a little more insight into Ron's motivations. Appropriately enough, it will be called "Playing With Fire".

Thanks for your continued comments and feedback.

7. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

Awesome story. It takes a while for Harry to grow into a character I like reading about, but its worth the wait. Top-notch writing, great characterization, the fights are great. Can't get enough of this story.

8. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I've never seen Avatar: TLA, but this story really grabbed me. It's a fantastic AU from my perspective. The end of Chapter 12 was a brilliant awakening of Harry's character. His fires are stoked, baby. 5/5.

The only part I had trouble with was realising that all of the fights were actually physical martial arts. That wasn't readily apparent and surprised me when I eventually worked it out. For many of the strikes I was thinking of it as a typical Harry Potter magical duel with elemental manipulation being used rather than fists and feet flying at opponents.

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  9. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Check this out.

It's several of the fight scenes from the cartoon set to some of the music from the series. Two and a half minutes. It's a mix of elemental manipulation and fists & feet -- the martial arts are required to control the elements, in a way.

yak
  10. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

While that's pretty decent, I feel like there are some way better fight scenes in the series.

11. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

I'm about to head to bed, so I can't go searching for a link right now, but I think that the best demonstration of bending + martial arts may actually be in the first episode of The Legend of Korra. When Korra is taking her "firebending test."

Edit: I found it. It's nowhere near the most exciting fight in A:TLA or the sequel, but I think it gives a solid demo.

http://www.nick.com/videos/clip/legend-of-korra-firebending-training-clip.html

Also, I'm sure you've heard it before, but the original series + the legend of korra is well worth your time. Real talk

12. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Yes. The original series is better, but they're both good.

At any rate, I am rather enjoying this story. Hopefully it won't end up forgotten/abandoned.

13. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

For sure. I just wanted to find a relatively short link that would showcase all four elements, preferably not one set to a piece of pop music.

Also I keep hoping there will be another update. Next chapter has potential for awesome.

14. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

15. Marcus Livius Drusus

Marcus Livius Drusus Banned DLP Supporter

This is great. Best active fic. I'm liking this more than The Santi's stuff, even. All the characters a fleshed out, even minor ones like Cho. I particularly like the elemental magic system. There's not much to criticize really. Harry's a little agnsty at first, but that dies down pretty quick. I'm also not sure about the nargles scene with Luna, though I haven't watched Avatar so I could be missing some allusion there. It seemed a little too easy, but there are hints that there could be repercussions. Anyway 4.9/5 so far.

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  16. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

So...is anyone else ridiculously suspicious of the Dobby character in this story? He seems waaaaaaaaay smarter then he lets on.

17. TSN

TSN Auror

dobby is that monkey thing in a:tla (IMHO)

18. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

I love me some momo.

19. Gorillanator

Gorillanator Squib

I love Harry's obsession with movement patterns. It seems like a powerful insight in this universe, and a plausible method for him to come to understand other forms of bending without formal tutoring.

Like lots of other people have mentioned, the depth of the characters really makes this story, and I love that Harry has more than just two friends with actual personalities. I was definitely almost starting to believe that Crouch Jr. wasn't all bad, and I think he made a miscalculation by being so blunt in chapter 12.

But anyway, my prediction is that Harry will die in the Avatar state (he is the last avatar, after all).

20. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Really love this story, can't really add anything more than what has been already said. For one the characters are great and the meshing of the two universes is amazing.

One thing I wasn't too hot about was jock/douche Ron but I bet he is actually a lot deeper than he seems, like with every other character, so, doubt he would be the only exception.

But, what really drew my attention, especially after reading the story, was the title.

The Last Avatar. Now, is that simply a way to reuse the original title of the show or a hint towards something darker? Last Airbender made sense, since Aang was the last airbender left alive, from what had once been thousands. Last Avatar, in that way, doesn't make sense since it is in the nature of the avatar that there is only one at any given point but at the same time, that there is always one at any given point. The second one avatar dies, another is born.

So, would that mean that Harry is going to be the last Avatar ever? Is something going to shatter the Avatar Cycle or will it become obsolete and it will rejoin the spirit world?

Maybe I am looking too deeply into this but it has me really interested. Especially since Harry, outside of being a Harry Potter character in the world of avatar, seems quite different than the other avatars we have seen. I could see him breaking something fundamental.

Anyway, great work so far, thanks for sharing it here.