1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Harry Potter: The Last Avatar by The Sorting Cat - T - Avatar: The Last Airbender

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Tutorial Boss, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Sigurd

Sigurd DA Member

Maybe "last" means "previous" instead of "final." It's been heavily implied that the avatar predecessing Harry died of unnatural causes before he was discovered by the world. If that murder came to light it'd be huge news I think.

2. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    True, it could be that. I mean, if they had somehow discovered the identity of the next avatar before the order that usually did that and killed him off, yeah, that would be a big deal. But then again, this is a secret that is definitely going to be uncovered, as soon as Harry is revealed to be the avatar since it is known that he is fire nation born, which would definitely be noticed since it should have been an earth kingdom one.

Then again, it might be a more widely known secret since there doesn't seem to be a fuss about the whereabouts of the next Avatar. Korra was found when she was four or so and the Order was actively looking for the next Avatar. And while it was only revealed to the avatar once he or she was sixteen originally, the avatar was found way sooner so they could keep an eye on him. and by now, tradition seems to have changed so that they are told rather soon that they are the avatar and that definitely hasn't happened with Harry.

Something is fishy there as well. The whereabouts of the avatar should have been something that someone in the story, Harry included, should have wondered about at least once. That they didn't leads me to believe that there had been a statement of sort or there is a new view on the avatar.

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I had the impression that Korra was the "last" Avatar and that no more had shown up since she died. Presumably this is because someone has been getting to them first and killing them, but those same someones could have perpetrated the idea that the Avatar cycle had ended or been completed or whatever. They keep looking and keeping them down otherwise.

I don't think anyone knows that Harry is the Avatar. It's possible that someone suspects. I think his dreams of drowning are likely to be from his previous life when he was murdered, triggered by his own near-death experience.

...but that's all just speculation. I haven't read the story in a while either so it's possible some of it is just flat out incorrect.

4. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Crouch Junior may know and with him whoever he works he for, Voldemort presumely, although it is unclear how You Know Who would fit into this world since they have seen worse than him without losing the courage to say his name, not to mention the fact that his name is not actually cursed.

I mean, that is why he was interested into Harry, wasn't it? Suspects, for some reason, that Harry is the avatar. Coupled with the theory that it was him who killed the previous earth kingdom avatar, stands to reason he would know/suspect about Harry.

5. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

Voldemort is Koh.

6. Morde

Morde Second Year

If Voldemort is Koh, I would like to propose that he only steals noses, not entire faces.

7. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Koh is an epic, scary motherfucker, but at leas in the original series, he isn't bad per se. He is a punisher, if his punishment is adequate we can't judge. I really love the characters, they are so whole, you know, deep and complete. Cho and Ginny have so much potential too.

8. Russano

Russano Disappeared

I agree. I think the characterizations of all the possible love interests are some of the best I've seen. Usually when people write girls they are usually pretty 1 dimensional except for the "main girl" who the author actually put their effort into writing.

Ginny, Cho, Parvati, Hermoine? I could conceivably see Harry ending up with any of them, and I wouldnt be disappointed no matter who it was.

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  9. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Normally, I'd agree with this, but as an h/hr fan must say no. There are far, far too few good h/hr. I would still continue reading and enjoying the story, but I'd be disappointed if it didn't end as primarily h/hr. The setup is just so perfect for it as well.

Posted from my phone.

10. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    As opposed to Harry/Cho and Harry/Parvatii, which flood the boards with quality stories.

11. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Eh, to me a Harry/Cho in yhis would be the best, followed by Harry/Parvati. I like Ginny, but wesee to little to know if they would be good together. Like @Rehio said, we have much less Harry/Cho and Harry/Parvati then the classic H/Hr, really, is the leading pairing.

I don't like Hermione in cannon, and I'm not a huge fan of her here. And besides, someone said H/Hr feels like an universal band-aid, and I agree wholeheartedly.

12. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Witty comebacks aside..

Neither Harry/Cho or Harry/Parvati are nearly as developed via Canon as H/Hr is, that's the thing. JKR created this wonderful setup for a relationship/pairing... And then shat all over it because she has some retarded idea that insults, disrespect, and arguing = sexual tension.

Cho was caught up on Diggory then was using Harry as a rebound. We know little about her except.. Pretty, Asian, Ravenclaw, Seeker, Diggory's Girl.

All we really know about Parvati is that she has a twin in Ravenclaw, is a fairly nice person, and likes to gossip (and even that might be Fanon).

Yes, that's what Fanfic is for, to change such things. But much of it is also about wish fulfillment. H/Hr left a lot of people with that Wish Fulfillment aspect, but the fandom was taken over by a bunch of blathering twilight-esque morons (ugh, Harmonians).

Either one of them may as well be stand-ins for whatever personality the writer wants to give them. Just like with the Tracy Davis/Daphne Greengrass/Insert Random Slytherin Girl Here phenomenon.

A primary relationship with either of them, to me, would feel just like that. The author wanted a stand in for a certain personality, chose a random undeveloped girl, and went with it. Which is a perfectly valid path to go down, don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to say it's a cop out, or inferior or any such thing. Just that it would leave me disappointed.

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  13. Russano

Russano Disappeared

- and that's why this fic is so well done. She's managed to make me like Cho and Parvati as much as Hermoine with 1/100th of the character development time.

14. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    A thought on the lack of an Avatar up until now:

A lot of the characters seem to be very similar to HPcanon. There's some differences, but it isn't like Neville is a pirate in this, or anything.

Which means Voldemort, if he appears, is likely to be bothered about bloodlines. And how purity is kind of a big deal.

So mudbloods, or whatever the correct term is in-universe, like Hermione, frustrate him, and his group, because they have this power that doesn't fit with their bloodline. They aren't pure, they family line isn't benders all the way back, they are more powerful than they should be.

You know who else is more powerful than their bloodline would suggest?

The Avatar.

Especially considering my google-fu says that being an Avatar is not genetic. It just happens.

Otherwise, it's an interesting story. I'm basically unfamiliar with ATLA, having seen the movie and a few scattered episodes, so I'm occaisionly hopping to the wiki - I first thought metalbenders were a fifth type, and that we might also see woodbenders.

I've got lots of questions about stuff, but most of it is along the lines of "are werewolves real?", and what's been taken out of HPcanon to fit it together, and it'll either come up, or be unimportant.

4/5, with potential to go higher when things pick up.

15. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

I'd assume that Voldemort is like the anti-Amon; He hates non-benders something fierce.

Unless you want to make Voldemort champion of the common people, which would be hilarious.

16. Sacrosanct

Sacrosanct Auror

I hate to admit it but I thought the Harry Potter fandom was in its death throes outside of DLP, but this has given me a new hope. Its the only fanfiction that I actively keep up with, the others I might read when someone mentions its been updated, but more often than not I can't be fucked.

So, thank you, Sorting Cat, for breathing life into a barren wasteland.

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  17. Lord Wolfe

Lord Wolfe Squib

What this one said.

I wasn't terribly optimistic about the fic when I found it, but just half way into the first chapter I was enthralled - I decided to watch all four Avatar seasons just to immerse myself into the awesomeness. Yep - I spent 25+ hours watching schtick just to make sure I was properly awed by the fic (and I don't regret a second of it).

Characterisation's been a bic plus for me. Nargles kinda confused me, but I figured that was the point. Eagerly awaiting MOAR.

18. The Sorting Cat

The Sorting Cat Second Year

19. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I really didn't like this chapter. The whole fight with Ron seemed so completely pointless.

20. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I felt like it was one of those... things where you fight it all out with someone and come to an understanding/agreement.

Without the fight I doubt Harry and Ron would have spoken as frankly as they did there at the end. I did sort of like that part, especially as neither of them is perfect, and Harry got to let loose somewhat and compare himself to one of his peers, etc.

yak