1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter TV Series

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by CrackedMind, Apr 4, 2023.

1. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I imagine because 10-episode seasons is HBO's preferred method for series storytelling.

2. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

It was the question to the second part of the quote, that it won't give it enough time to expand. In my opinion 10 episodes a book is more than enough.

3. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    I can't wait for Harry Potter season 8 if HBO's taking the reins. I heard that they're making huge budget cuts at the moment, and that the second season of House of the Dragon has been reduced to 8 episodes. (8 episodes strategically stretched over 3 months that is to ensure maximum subscriber retention.)

4. Pirazy

Pirazy Groundskeeper

I can't wait for McGonagall to flash her tits and for Hagrid to hang DONG at the Yule ball.

5. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Maybe with PS you would struggle to get 10 proper episodes out. But any extra world building you do would really have to be spent with Harry and Co. or perhaps the Hogwarts staff.

Because if they build up more characters than they would either have to drop the extra new threads they introduce, or rush canon events to fit in their OC please don't steal. And either of those solutions would just piss people off.

6. Neznaiu98

Neznaiu98 Muggle

Speaking of which, in case this will indeed be just another go at the books, how likely do ya'll think they will try to make diverse casting choices? After all, Hermione has never been confirmed to be white, right? ;)

7. haphnepls

haphnepls Groundskeeper

It's a 2023+ TV show, of course they're going to make it diverse. At least to seem so.

8. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    HP was always diverse. Dean Thomas, the Patil twins, Cho Chang. How much more diverse does Scotland get?

9. Celestin

Lee Jordan, Blaise Zabini, Angelina Johnson. You really don't need to make it more diverse unless by diverse you mean that one of the Trio needs to be non-white too.

10. Neznaiu98

Neznaiu98 Muggle

Somehow, i doubt the interested parties will be satisfied by a few relatively minor side characters, most of which are likely to not even appear in a show. Especially if the showrunners will feel that they have to somehow make up for Rowling being even slightly involved in this.

I feel that Hermione is pretty likely, given that they already did this to her once. I am curious (in a "watching a train wreck" way) who else might get transfigured as well.

Perhaps Morgan Freeman for Dumbledore (which might actually be hilarious yet awesome)?

11. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

All that I want out of this is Stephen Fry as Dumbledore.

12. arkkitehti

arkkitehti High Inquisitor

I don't really see a straight redo as the safe option. Casting literal children to the main roles and hoping they manage to deliver tens of hours of high quality content when the target audience is mostly adults (really, HP isn't a children's IP anymore) is inherently massively risky.

If I was in charge of a HP TV series I'd go for the first war era. There's enough familiar characters to tickle that nostalgia nerve, the canon for that time period is just the right amount of vague while still giving some hints (what were the three times James and Lily defied Voldemort?), all major characters are adult enough that you don't need to worry about casting children and you can make them as competent with magic as your sfx-budget allows, and there's just the right amount of intrigue and politics to make it a proper HBO series.

13. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

Honestly quite confusing. The Bulk of the Harry Potter fanbase are adults, and its hard to imagine them tuning into a 10 episode series about some 11 year olds. The child casting will be enormously difficult too. The recent BBC Pullman adaptation aged Lyra up to 14 to avoid the worst of this. A doubly unusual call since I suspect that at some time during the production of the series "AI" technology would make deaging actors a bit more feasable.

I think I;m going to be skeptical that this will actually be made untill I see a proper announcement.

14. FitzDizzyspells

FitzDizzyspells Seventh Year DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

Looks like HBO made a proper announcement today.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2023
  15. Alistair

Alistair Seventh Year

I mean, I'll watch it, but I'm not that excited about it.

Personally I'd much rather see a TV show based on any of the below;

Tom Riddles' school days and development into Voldemort
    James and the marauders at Hogwarts (could actually be some good YA type content to be fair, mostly comedic, but with the war looming as a background threat)
    Voldemort's first rise
    Grindelwald's rise (but, you know, done well)
    The Founders
    Nicholas Flamel and the creation of the philosopher's stone (political thriller type thing in the style of game of thrones but in 13th century France. Lots of wizards involved in muggle conflicts, battles, political alliances with various rulers, witch burnings, alchemical discovery stuff, could be great).

There's so much cool lore in HP that deserves a big budget TV show, yet we just get the same old content.

16. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm gonna go against the grain here and say that this has the potential to be really good.

Much more interested in this than fantastic beasts or any fan fiction "different era" stuff as others are suggesting.

17. Celestin

I don't envy whoever they will cast. Not only HP is a lot bigger than it was before the movies and they will be constantly compared to the previous actors, but making TV Show, probably 10 episodes a year, will be even more time consuming than making movies.

18. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Real talk, I’m infinitely more excited for Percy Jackson on Disney…

19. Ackner

Ackner First Year

Agree on the PJO series being more excited, it feels more fresh and the draw is that the og author is now involved whereas JKR has always been involved with the HP movies. The only potential advantage to a new series is better CG but tbh seeing the trend of rushed production causing shit CG in newer television and movies, I'm not too excited.

Like imo some of the cg in HotD was weak as fuck - really grainy and washed out.

The only advantage is that a new series will probably lead to a massive new influx of ff, 5% of which will be readable at least.

20. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score: