1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter TV Series

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by CrackedMind, Apr 4, 2023.

1. MuggsieToll

MuggsieToll Seventh Year

I remember hearing that the show is going to dive into parts of Hogwarts that the books didn't ever get into, so you know it's going to turn into a magical version of 90210.

2. Leonard

Leonard Banned

You know I find it still shocking they took a Oscar winner like Redmayne as the lead with the likes Jude Law and Depp and still fucked up the fantastic beasts thing so badly.

I don't think having deeper look into the other houses is actually going to work when most of the main plot involves the gryffindors. That would mean fundamentally changing the main plot to include them which would only make it worse.

3. Hansar

Hansar Second Year

I say let them experiment. There's already a book accurate adaptation in existence so why not try an outright re-imagining? It'll probably get cancelled soon either way.

4. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Even the best talent can't make a masterpiece when the script/plot is trash.

5. FitzDizzyspells

FitzDizzyspells Seventh Year DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

I'm beginning to come around to the idea, now that my initial disappointment has worn off about HBO just re-adapting the books. I've gone from "why tho?" to "sure, fuck it, why not." Let's have a new Harry Potter.

When I saw the movies for the first time, there were things that I loved and things that I hated. Now, probably, whenever I watch this TV show, there will be things that I love and things that I hate. I don't think the HBO show will be as iconic as the movies were, but the story and characters of Harry Potter are so much fun that tbh the show is very likely going to be fun to watch at least some of the time.

When I was 14, I would come out of the theater and think, "Hermione's characterization is off" and "why did they cut this plot line?" and "they made that scene so corny." But since Warner Bros already made such a great adaptation (and since I'm at least slightly less neurotic now than I was then), I won't really feel like HBO is "ruining" anything they get wrong, and I'll be more interested to see what creative things they do with it.

Maybe this Hermione will burst into tears all the time, like she's supposed to. Maybe this Ron won't do that goofy whimpering thing that Rupert Grint did all the time. But also maybe Charlie Weasley will get a really great scene as he transports Norbert to Romania. Maybe Lavender and Parvati will have a fun side quest. In the HBO adaptation of His Dark Materials, we see scenes with just Mrs. Coulter and Lord Asriel that weren't in the books. As many people in this thread have predicted, HBO will very likely write some new scenes of just the adults without Harry's POV.

Or ... maybe I'll hate all the actors, and all the CGI will be terrible. I dunno. It's a cash grab. It's whatever. HBO will either get everything wrong, and I'll just shrug it off, or they'll occasionally do some things that are genuinely creative, and that'll be fun. I'll spend some more time at Hogwarts, and Diagon Alley, and the Burrow. Why not. Twist my arm.

6. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

They don't need to be changing the main plot though. You divide the episode, like GoT for example, with multiple characters having their own adventures until it's time for them to be relevant to the Golden Trio. And it could really work. Like having Cedric be one of the main cast for four seasons to make it evem more emotional for fans when it's time for the Third Task.

Or a reverse with Luna having no friends for few years and how it affected her at Hogwarts before she finally gets one in Ginny. Who too has a lot of potential for additional time in the show, like how she deals with an aftermath of her time when controlled by Tom.

There is a lot that in the books that the show can simply expand instead of adding something completely new that it can work as a really good companion to the rest.

7. DR

High Score:
    I don't think they'll have too much trouble getting an audience, provided they do what they said they were going to do and be a more faithful adaption. Everyone will watch the premier just because they're curious, and if they deliver, they'll keep watching.

8. FitzDizzyspells

FitzDizzyspells Seventh Year DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

I keep seeing this take on DLP that seems to imply that the majority of HP fans read fanfic. There’s no way that’s the case. For the vast majority of fans, this will be the first “new” take on Harry Potter that they‘ll have experienced since the movies came out.

9. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's like saying GOT should never have counted on the book/fanfic fans when it premiered in 2011. Or that Dune book readers wouldn't like the movie. Or or or---every adaptation relies on attracting the book nerds. The different medium is enough of a draw on its own.

10. DR

High Score:
    Great, I always wanted to know what was going to happen in Lords of Magic.

11. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    In sixth year, Hogwarts welcomes exchange student and niece of the famous dark wizard hunter, Tifa Lockhart.