1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Help Wanted

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Hashasheen, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

With Skyrim out, I've been looking more and more into acquiring computer-based RPGs. Problem is, I have no idea what's good and what's not good, so I thought I'd come to DLP and ask the internet. :sherlock:

I'm up for any good fantasy or sci-fi RPG, but I need it to be made for computers and not too expensive (over 30 pounds is a no-no) or difficult to acquire.

Help?

2. Speakers

Speakers Backtraced

Dragon Age: Origins.

3. Pirazy

Pirazy Groundskeeper

Fallout 1&2
    Baldur's Gate 1&2
    Knights of the Old Republic 1&2
    Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
    Jade Empire

4. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Neverwinter nights, Diablo II

5. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Mass Effect 1 and 2

6. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

I second Baldur's Gate 2 in particular, as I quite enjoyed that one.

7. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

Most things I'd recommend have been already, but I'd also suggest the Witcher 1 and 2. You said you have Skyrim but, in case you don't have these already, get Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, then go to the Nexus and mod the shit out of them.

And yeah, I don't know about pounds but quite a few of these should be cheap, plus Steam sales are your friend.

8. Myduraz

Myduraz Headmaster DLP Supporter

I second Dragon Age. Also I have to mention Star Wars: The Old Republic aswell as KOTOR. Even though TOR isn't a single player rpg, it shows much promise as an actual mmorpg instead of the generic "mmo(rpg)".

9. Zilly Sawdust

Zilly Sawdust High Inquisitor

I can't believe no-one mentioned Gothic II. It's very similar to the Elder Scrolls series, a bit better than Morrowind, but not at Oblivion level, graphics-wise. Great games both, but I daresay I enjoyed Gothic II a lot more than I did Morrowind. It might not be as open-ended, but there's quite enough freedom to do whatever you want. Then again, Morrowind has so many mods these days, you can probably find 30 different story-lines to play through. There's also Gothic III, which I can't tell you much of anything about, as my computer hasn't been updated in at least 5 years and I'm running an internal gfx card. Anyway, they might be hard to get your hands on, since they never had such a big following as the Elder Scrolls and the developers rushed to put G3 on the shelves and put out a buggy product, which really didn't help matters. It probably took half as much time just fixing the various bugs in that game as it did to develop it and I think they released the patches as an expansion pack, so people who wanted their bugs fixed pretty much had to pay additional money.

10. Beonid

Beonid Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Mass Effect 2 isn't exactly an RPG, but I'd recommend Mass Effect.

Dragon Age: Origins is also worth playing, but the overarching plot is rather generic. Dragon Age 2 has a lot of problems, but I found the main quest more interesting.

Also:

The Witcher, and The Witcher 2.
    Deus Ex and Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

11. Hashasheen

*has wiki'd all*

Looks interesting.

Played

Nice, might have to take a closer look at this.

God no. I'm never touching Star Wars.

A;ready owned and played.

Kinda meh...

Facing off against Old Ones? I'll have to put this on the maybe pile...

Got it after I got into an argument with someone on the forum about which of Blizzard's series was the best. Decent, but not to my tastes in terms of plot.

Owned and played. Rather nice games.

Elder Scrolls as a whole misses on a few things to me, while Witcher's plot doesn't seem quite to my tastes. Fallout, I've already played. Awesome game.

Likely candidate...

The graphics are reportedly pretty shoddy on that series, along with the english translation. Help?

All in all, thanks guys. You've given me a lot of good games to look at and make up my mind as to which to choose. :D

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  12. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

Deus EX and Deus EX:HR is awesome. Also you should really check out KOTOR even if you don't like Star Wars.

Also Dragon Age:Origins is seriously good. Then Torchlight,Borderlands,Icewwind Dale, Planescape Torment are all good.

13. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I love Morrowind, as long as the right mods are installed. Oblivion is... meh, even with mods. Some things just aren't fixable. Or at least, I haven't found a fix yet.

If you decide to play Dragon Age: Origins, be advised that Dragon Age 2 is a severe disappointment in comparison.

I'll echo the KotOR recommendations. KotOR II in particular, it's a favorite of mine, though you'll need to play the first one to understand it fully. And you'll absolutely need the TSLRCM. The Old Republic looks like shit, but that's an old argument I won't retread.

My issue with The Witcher is that they're based on a book series that only has two of its entries translated into English. Even after reading those two entries, I feel like I'm missing something when I play it, which has prevented me from finishing it. I'll power through it someday though and get around to playing The Witcher 2.

Human Revolution is pretty good. Not as good as I was hoping, but very solid in its own right. I've never played the original, but I've heard a lot of good things about it. Maybe someday.

The original Fallouts have a pretty steep learning curve if you're coming to them after playing FO3 and/or New Vegas, but they're highly enjoyable all the same. They also have resolution and color issues on modern PCs (or maybe just Windows 7 -- they work great when I play them on my old computer from 2003 with XP), but there are workarounds I think.

I haven't played this Vampire: The Masquerade game, but I'm sort of interested.

14. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines is one of the best RPGs I've ever played. It's up there with the Elder Scrolls series and Fallout 3 for me.

15. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    You seem to be focused on graphics over story, but if you're willing to sacrifice graphics, SpiderWebSoftware has some fantastic old school RPGs. I'd particulalry recommend Avadon The Black Fortress and Geneforge 5.

16. Hashasheen

Not really, I just don't want something primitive.

17. Arbiter

Arbiter Groundskeeper

You'll be missing one of the best RPG's ever made. Seriously, no game has given me that much enjoyment.

18. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

With all the Gothic fans, I'm surprised no one's suggested Risen.

Mount and Blade: Warband - Kind of old and the graphics aren't too great, but with a few mod's it's bearable. The gameplay makes it worth it though.

19. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Risen is a decent RPG if you are an avid rpg fan, I don't think the casual gamer would be able to get into it. Once I got used to the cumbersome controls, I liked it alot, but it is a bit basic.

Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines probably has one of the best plots in any game. You need both the official and unofficial patch to turn the buggy and unpolished game into something playable, but once you do it is one of the best games out there. There are some great mods for it as well, such as the Camarilla Edition and The Final Nights. Bloodlines is actual the sequel, VTM: Redemption is a bit older but still good.

Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 + Expansions is probably the greatest true full blown RPG on the computer. It's a bit dated now, but the graphics are such where it doesn't really matter. Planescape Torment and Neverwinter Nights are similar, but not quite as good as the original.

Diablo 1 and 2 + LOD are great games. LOD is my favorite game of all time. The hellfire unleashed mod is insanely awesome, and adds a whole degree of difficulty for the truly hardcore fans. If you play D1 last you'll probably be annoyed because alt key doesn't show items on the ground.

Arx Fatalis - Great game, but probably around 10 years old now,

Dragon Age Origins. Not much to say that no one else hasn't. Probably the best RPG i've played on the 360, so I assume the computer one is probably better. Sequel ruined what probably going have been an awesome line of games.

Mass Effect 1. Leagues better than ME2, because it is an actual rpg. ME 2 and DA 2 both share a common element that ruined them, but everyone already knows this.

Dvinity 2 Ego Draconis. A decent rpg by rpg standards, but a bit long winded with some odd enemy level scaling problems in places. Still, has a lot of cool elements and a decent plot as well. And you can turn into a dragon and eat people.

Sacred: Decent rpg, but has some clunky controls. It's like a newer version of Diablo 2, but all the extra stuff they added makes it worse. Still a good game.

Torchlight. Good game, but very short. Turns Diablo 2 into more of a hack and slash, god of war style. Very good for one play through, but replayability is low because of no multiplayer.

Fable series. The first one, and the expansion were amazing games, and truer rpgs. the second one was dumbed down a bit, but some of the additions were great, such as the teleporting backstab magic. Fun shit. Haven't played the third yet though.

Borderlands. You'll either love it, or hate it. I fucking love it. It's an RPS, similar to ME1, but you can only change your weapons, shields and grenades. The questing and skill tree systems are a bit reminiscent of mmorpgs, but i don't mind that. A must play game I feel.

20. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

Dues Ex is probably not something you're going to want to try if you don't want primitive graphics. Tried getting into it recently with all the hype about the sequel, but it's dated and it shows.

Fable is a fun a game, and the expansion wasn't too bad. It's not exactly a, I guess, true RPG, but its a fun and light-hearted game to enjoy.

Origins was decent, not as amazing as everyone says, but a lot closer to an actual RPG.