1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Heroes Reborn

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by LINKed up, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Season Two was the last I enjoyed, I'm pretty sure that's when we had all the Hiro/Adam Monroe stuff? because that rocked. Peter was terrible always, his power could have been the greatest but it was never used right.

2. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Thats because they changed the way it worked several times to try to tweak him into being more capable, or not as capable. They basically ramped him to be slightly less powerful then the villian of the arc at all times.

3. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

What the fuck was this? What made even less sense was everyone just standing about gawking like fucking idiots while she basically did what they all knew would fuck them. Everyone there knew what happened the last time the government went crazy, and yet they just smile like fucking idiots. Claire of all people...y'know what? Fuck Claire. She's the Kate of Heroes, an utterly unlikable cunt that somehow never fucking learns and is nonetheless a large part of the show.

The show really started off good, and I don't even know where they fucked up, I guess perhaps Season Three? Season Two was fine, but they just started going back and forth so much, especially with Sylar , that the show just became tedious.

And it could have been such a good show too. I remember the buzz it got when it first came out. All wasted.

4. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

The 1st Volume was perfect. The 2nd didn't live up to its hype, but wasn't all that bad. What killed Heroes was first the WGA writers' strike and then all this mess in the 3rd Volume. Which is somehow funny, because writers were saying that they had so much time to prepare it that it will be the best thing ever. It only shows that too much time to make up the plot can be a bad thing too. There was some improvement in the 4th Volume, but not enough. And I've never watched 5th so I can't comment on it.

5. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

Despite being the most inconsistent character, Sylar was the only character that was consistently entertaining. In the later seasons I only bothered watching to see what he would do next.

In fact, I've pretty much forgotten everything about the show that doesn't have to do with him.

6. Midknight

This. Sylar was the only one I gave a damn about, and even then they swung him so far back and forth, sometimes from good to bad within two fucking episodes, that he was ruined for me. Still, Quinto is one awesome damned actor.

7. Midknight

This. Sylar was the only one I gave a damn about, and even then they swung him so far back and forth, sometimes from good to bad within two fucking episodes, that he was ruined for me. Still, Quinto is one awesome damned actor.

8. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  9. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

I'm crossing my fingers for Stargate Universe, personally.

Also, ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...

... Please be good.

10. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'll just quote what I said in the Thing of Your Day thread:

Though if we don't get a retcon, then I'll at least hope for a story that isn't retarded and references the previous show post-season one as little as possible.

----
    I remember plenty of bad things, but the worst, in no particular order, were: Arthur Petrelli and everything about that plot; Sylar's continuous stream of bullshit subplots and constant flip-flopping; Peter being made into an idiot to counter how powerful he was; Nikki dying and conveniently having another identical sister to keep her actress on the show; Nathan dying and the absolutely retarded attempt to make Sylar into Nathan; and the fact that the main villains of the last season were a bunch of circus carnies.

Didn't Jeph Loeb start getting involved in the show? The Writer's Guild strike was probably the main cause of the fall in quality, but I bet he had something to do with it too.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  11. Lyrium

Lyrium Sent Back to India

The biggest problem was really that they became too attached to the cast and weren't able to get rid of characters that had done their time.

The also didn't know how to work in cons to amazing powers to balance things out.

Carnie town was the worst thing ever. Mr. Mini Earthquake\Guyliner as the villain after everything that had come before was laughable.

12. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

Personally, I think things started going downhill when they starting limiting the powers of their characters. A Peter who could keep all the powers at once and a Hiro who was actually competent were much more interesting to watch than when they got their powers crippled.

13. Red Aviary

High Score:
    Peter's abilities could've been limited a lot more elegantly than just removing them and replacing them with a shitty knock-off version. They could've made it so that he couldn't draw on multiple powers at once, or maybe two at the most, like one passive power and one active power. And also since his power comes from empathic bonding with others, perhaps make it so he can't draw on someone's power if that person's been killed or depowered. It'd make it so his strength and weakness would be his connection to others. I think his replacement ability completely missed the point that his power was supposed to be a reflection of his compassion and ability to connect with others.

As for Hiro, well, I'd probably emphasize how he can only stop time and travel through it unconsciously, in like fight-or-flight situations, and make both those abilities a much bigger deal. After reading Worm and seeing Clockblocker's time-based powers, I think that would be a cool "starting" ability for him, especially considering he gets that sword. He could figure out that freezing the blade in time could make it unbreakable and let it cut through pretty much anything. It'd certainly give the sword some more importance, and reflect that the sword's kind of a tool to help him focus his powers.

I've uh, kind of put some thought into this. I was planning at one point on doing a Heroes AU fic that would incorporate some ideas like that, but as with anything I ever planned on doing, it never happened.

14. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

Please be all-new characters. The only return I will accept is a cameo from Hiro and Ando, because they were awesome.

15. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

That is partly due to over-attachment.All the characters were supposed to be replaced, which makes sense since y'know, by the end Peter and Sylar had the ability to nuke entire cities, something that would be awesome in the Avengers but not on TV, which is about suggestion.

How they could have re-written the challenges to make such characters work is an open question, I personally think it's really hard and is why you see all these power-downs,not just here but in other fiction.

16. Pasta Sentient

Pasta Sentient Disappeared

17. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

One of the reason heroes started to suck was because they didn't know what to do with Hiro.

And then they bring him back?

Edit: Read the article, apparently he'll be a guest star. As long as he isn't a main character, I guess it might not be prone to complete suck.

18. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

At least they're not bringing back Ali Larter.

19. R. E. Lee

R. E. Lee Groundskeeper

Psych! We're going to find out that her characters were actually secret quadruplets. The fourth one? Just as insufferable as the other three.

20. Red Aviary

High Score:
    ^ Cool, another Clone Saga.

Still hoping they'll at least paint the previous series in broad strokes. They should focus more on new things, since most of what was there previously is awful.