1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Hit the Ground Running by Tozette

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Ched, Feb 2, 2014.

1. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Chief Warlock

I like it, but the latest chapter was just weird.

2. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

This fic is actually quite wonderful. The author is good at writing an eleven-year-old, and if you're used to reading fanfiction, you won't be used to reading things from that perspective.

The "kind" Malfoys aren't. They're still the nasty, manipulative assholes they always were...but you get to see the subtlety that kept them out of Azkaban. Also, Narcissa is fleshed out in a really interesting way.

Voldemort and Harry's relationship is a little bit funny and a little bit great.

This totally worth reading and should be in the Library. 5/5

3. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It updated.

I don't know what this author is doing, but she seems to be taking the "Dumbledore, Ron Bashing" route, and that leaves me disappointed. I like this fic's premise and writing, but if it keeps up this type of characterization, I might have to drop it. It's so cringe-inducing and old-fashioned.

4. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ron-bashing, maybe. Dumbledore-bashing? I'm not so sure. It seems more like Harry is being influenced by Voldemort's politics, and the author leaves it up to the reader to decide whether they agree or not. If we're talking about what Ron said... seems like we were meant to take it with a grain of salt.

5. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

I left a long review for the author about my concerns over the Dumbledore bashing.

It worries me, but not overly much. Early, she toyed with presenting Lucius Malfoy as a misunderstood good-guy, but then revealed him to be the peace of shit JK Rowling wrote him to be.

I suspect that is what's going on here: she's showing Harry a Dumbledore worthy of bashing, but latter Harry will discover Dumbledore's complexity. She's really good about fleshing out characters while keeping them true to Rowling's and adding depth.

Vira, you're right be nervous, but I bet this goes in a good direction.

6. Ghosthree3

Ghosthree3 Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I've actually really been enjoying this story. It's been a while since I actually read it, but from what I can remember I didn't really have too many issues with it.

The primary reason I like this story is because of the Voldemort who's in Harry's head's character, without that this WOULD be a pretty bland fic that doesn't really do anything that hasn't been done before, though this probably does it better than most.

I have no problem with long slow fics, I prefer massively long ones actually. My only issue with them is I fear they will get abandoned as so many do. If there was a guarantee of completion in a relatively short amount of time (while I appreciate them getting finished, over 4 years and I forget about it...) I'd have no problem with them at all. Unless they were poorly written of course.

To me this fic is really about Harry, and how Voldemort's influence affects his growth. So the other aspects of the fic do not really concern me unless they become extremely poor. That said, they are actually pretty good and I DO find myself interested in them. Especially in the way old wizarding culture is explained.

I'm also very curious as to what will happen when Voldemort DOES get his body back, both his actions to Harry (will he just kill him?) and the rest of the magical population.

So for that I'll give it a 4/5, the story's main intent is very well done.

It's a shame there's not too many stories that handle this idea, or at least, not many I've found. It's pretty risky searching for Harry P. & Tom R./Voldemort stories.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  7. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

P.S. Fuck you.

Decent enough read of a story though, 4/5 from me. I agree with everyone's comments that pacing is an issue and a lot of irrelevant shit could be cut, but a decent time-waster.

8. Atum

Atum DA Member DLP Supporter

It's entirely possible that he's never read your story so...

9. psihary

psihary Groundskeeper

... I've got a polar bear for a neighbour...
    From ff.net
    Yeah, maybe it's about time this one gets an update too ... just saying :)

... although, if I have a say in this, I'd rather see "Escape to Darkness" updated :)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  10. Ghosthree3

Last chapter just went up and I can't help but feel somewhat disappointed. I won't discuss it as I don't want to spoil it, does kind of reduce my rating a bit though, I was hoping it was going to be much longer and that it didn't end like...that.

11. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

That was indeed disappointing. For all that the author dragged the first year along, the ending was abrupt and rather anti-climactic. Not that I'm saying he should have arranged a grand spectacle, but still... it just kind of ends. And you look at it and think to yourself "That's it?". So yeah.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  12. Vira

High Score:
    It's... It's over? But it's only first year!

I'm not as disappointed as you guys, because the ending diverged enough to make an awesome sequel if it ever gets written since it won't be at Hogwarts. For being a standalone story, it's rather plain, but a sequel could broaden its horizons. I respect the author if they don't write it though, because uncomplete fanfics are the bane of my existence.
    Not sure what else to say. It was interesting while it lasted.

13. gbbz

gbbz Professor

I am dissapointed because the story could just as well have not happened in the first place!!!

WHY!? For God's Sake, why do we get over 100k of enjoyable Voldemort-Harry interaction only for it to be thrown out the window in the last chapter? The way this story ended Harry could get the diary from Malfoy and... that's it. Story closed.

I think I have just wasted a lot of my time. Every single conversation and scene in this story is meaningless, considering its conclusion. It would be more meaningful if the younger Riddle died and the older Voldemort to be resurrected, but noooooooooooooooo! The author had to play GRRM and kill the only character in the story that we liked. I think it's a disease.

14. Ghosthree3

Yeah I agree I would have rather
    the older Voldemort survived and the younger died.

15. Vira

High Score:
    Did I misread? I thought it was the diary shard that died and not Voldemort. I was confused for a second too, but the voice speaks like Voldemort. I think the voice was described as young-sounding, but maybe the two merged enough?
    Great, now I'm confused.

16. gbbz

gbbz Professor

It is confusing but explained if you read carefully

the old one died, but the younger insisted to be called Voldemort (hence the confusion). You can tune in because of the line: "his [Harry's] best friend died"

17. Ghosthree3

I think you are confused yes
    Harry snapped upright, clutching wand and cloak to his chest. Voldemort! You're there? You're ...not dead?His heart raced.
    He's not, the voice said, but I am.
    Not Voldemort, then - Tom Riddle.

Also,
    The loss of a sliver of my soul is... irritating, he admitted
    Since it previously stated that the Diary was a large part of his soul (half) I'd say it means the sliver that was the '7th' died. Personally don't think the soul can be quantified into unequal sizes when split but that's irrelevant.

EDIT: Also the above point that the young Tom Riddle now wants to be called Voldemort because he hates his name is probably the source of your confusion.

18. Vira

High Score:
    I changed my mind then, that ending was bad.

It destroys the premise of the fic. Keeping Tom Riddle in the story is like trying to replace Voldemort as a character. They're not the same person, I want Voldemort back. I can't see how a sequel can resolve this. Presumably, Riddle would get his body, but what then? Keeping him with Harry would make it seem way too much like that one other fic, Solace is Shadows, but turning Riddle antagonistic towards Harry wouldn't give Harry much to do. Either way, the premise, the reason for reading, is gone.

19. gbbz

gbbz Professor

My point exactly.

20. Ghosthree3

Yeah,
    without Voldemort I lost all interest in any follow up. That coupled with the fact it seems it wouldn't even be based in Hogwarts and I'm really not interested. Also since Voldemort is going to get a body soon and it's the young Riddle...well, my Slash sensor is humming softly. Once he has his body what good is Harry now that he's out of Hogwarts anyway? Just going to assume he becomes a sex slave I guess.

EDIT:
    What I REALLY don't get, is that the entire story was pretty much about Voldemort's character. The amount of time invested into his character development was huge...and now he's gone. Ok. So what was the point of this fic again? Because now all we have is a slightly more competent but ostracised Harry.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014